News:

• May 28, 2024, 03:48:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flap hinges  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
Flap hinges
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »

I have noticed that new stunt model designs and kits show a lot of flap hinges and at least two close to the flap tip. What is the purpose keep flaps aligned or to avoid some type of faiulure?
                                                                                                                               Juan

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Flap hinges
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »
I'm sure it helps with alignment but I think the main purpose is to prevent the flap from bending/bowing when under load.

James
AMA 491167

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
It is very common for hinges to break at the flap ends. Noblers are not a problem but 60 ounce planes will do it all the time so people started to double hinge at the tips and the problem went away.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:37 PM »
It is very common for hinges to break at the flap ends. Noblers are not a problem but 60 ounce planes will do it all the time so people started to double hinge at the tips and the problem went away.
Ed

Ed,
I actually picked it up from Bob Gieseke on his Gieseke Nobler.

Ted

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »
Hi Ted    Speaking of Bob here is his Nobler at the 84 Nats. I though that someone would catch that example I used but I wanted to keep it simple. Back in the 50's I don't remember ever having any flap hinges break on my Noblers,but then I was using cloth hinges. Dave Merithew until his death two years ago was still flying my 1957 Nobler  with its old cloth hinges. Every time I saw it fly I though they would disintegrate as they were very rotted with age.What ever I used it sure was good material. It is interesting that you mention the Gieseke Nobler as that is were I first started having problems with hinges breaking at the tip. In the early 80's  I started started to fly the G Nobler with ST/46 motor and did a lot of practice and was using mechanical hinges and they were breaking at the tip. I suspect that many of my stunt planes back in the 50-60's didn't get old enough to wear out the tip hinge.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
The only place that I ever had a hinge fail was at the outboard flap tip. As a result I have been using double hinges at both flap tips for at least 30 years. This was before I saw others with double hinges. I guess there are a lot of great minds out there.
AMA 7544

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »

Thanks for the answers. I  thought that at the speed I have seen some of the planes fly that flutter was not a problem but I was wrong. I will save the information and use it to avoid problems.Thanks again to all replys.
                                                                                                                         Juan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:11:42 AM »
Juan,
I have not observed flutter as a problem. It is just high loading at the flap tips.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 04:02:06 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
I've always thought the flap tip problem was a structural resonance problem.  Just running on the ground I've seen some flap tips become a blurr.  Just my two cents.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »
Juan,
I have not observed flutter as a problem. It is just high loading at the flap tips.

When i put my hinges far from the tip of the flaps it was fluttering. I do not see it necessary to put twohinges on the tip of the flaps however i do see it necessary to put the hinge as close to the outer edge of the flaps as is reasonable achievable. More over the flaps should be made of a C grain wood. I highly suspect the the broken flaps tips are from a bad quality wood combined with a hinge that was far from the edge.

Dorin
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
I have been using two hinges at the tip of the flaps since 1972, after I had the end hinge break on 2 models and saw them break on several others, if you look at the flap end when a plane is running on the ground the ends of the flaps are vibrating most, Never had a problem since I started using 2 hinges out at the tips

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here