News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:54:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First time using Talc and Dope  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
First time using Talc and Dope
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »
I used talc and dope for the first time, I'm just about finished with the sanding and I sure did learn from this.
  The first thing I learned was when brushing it on don't put it on so HEAVY unless you like sanding and sanding etc.
   Another thing I learned is why you add color to the mixture, don't know why I didn't pick up on that one. Without it it's a real pain to see what you've done, but I have the candleing down pretty good now.
   Even though it's alot of extra work it sure is worth it. I've never had a surface so smooth to paint. Before I start to paint it ( next week I hope ) what should I wipe the plane down with to make sure all the powder is off ? This should be my best finish job yet (knock on wood).
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
Re: First time using Talc and Dope
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
I usually just use a damp cloth, like a chux wipe or and old singlette or similar.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
Personally, I like waterbased Wax and Grease remover, I know that Valspar makes one, not sure about others. If you use any kind of commercial ready wipe or such, be VERY carefull to read the contents to insure there are no oils or other things that would contaminate it. On dope, using a solvent based wax and grease remover should be ok, just be sure to allow enough time for the solvents to completely evaporate from the basecoats. Laquer tends to be very absorbent with most any solvents. I have also heard of some using windex and lots of clean towels (lint free). In any case, clean it with lots of liquid, more than once, in other words, if you think you have it clean great ,, clean it once more,, lol,, kinda like sanding, do it till its perfect, then do it some more,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »
Before I start to paint it ( next week I hope ) what should I wipe the plane down with to make sure all the powder is off ? This should be my best finish job yet (knock on wood).
Hey Lee!
I use a tack rag from the auto paint supply houses, after wiping it down with a damp cloth and hitting its joints and flap/elevator hinge gaps with some compressed air.Make sure you get all the little buggers outta their hiding places before you start the paint!Youll be glad you did!
Good luck!
Richard
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Gary Hajek

• ACE
  • New Pilot
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:40:59 PM »
when using talc you should use two coats of 70%thinner 30%dope over the talc this keeps paint  from lifting on fillets and masking tape from pulling the paint off good luck         gary hajek

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:39:12 AM »
Gary: Do you sand after the 2 coats or just paint away ?
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Gary Hajek

• ACE
  • New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:18:02 AM »
    It should be flat and smooth it is used as a sealor for the talc if you need to sand put two more coats of sealer on the parts you sand.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 04:21:58 PM »
Great, I am guessing 1 sealer coat a day then how long after the 2 sealer coats should I wait to paint ?

Thanks everybody for the help.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Gary Hajek

• ACE
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:12 PM »
   You can paint the next day

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 06:06:40 AM »
I sprayed the first sealer coat yesterday, and all looks great. Just one other question: It's my SCARF STANG and the base color will be silver, If I decide to paint the canopy white should I paint that before the base color ? My other option is a black canopy and it probobly doesn't matter with that.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 08:02:39 AM »
Personally, I like waterbased Wax and Grease remover, I know that Valspar makes one, not sure about others. If you use any kind of commercial ready wipe or such, be VERY carefull to read the contents to insure there are no oils or other things that would contaminate it. On dope, using a solvent based wax and grease remover should be ok, just be sure to allow enough time for the solvents to completely evaporate from the basecoats. Laquer tends to be very absorbent with most any solvents. I have also heard of some using windex and lots of clean towels (lint free). In any case, clean it with lots of liquid, more than once, in other words, if you think you have it clean great ,, clean it once more,, lol,, kinda like sanding, do it till its perfect, then do it some more,,

Hi Mark,

I have always had a concern with using water around my planes when they are to the finishing stage.  I don't want water to get into the wood and cause any potential swelling.

In your experience, are my fears unfounded??  I am serious, I always use a solvent based cleaner to do all my prep.  Let me know!

Thanks
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »
Alcahol is a good cleaner and I agree about using two coats of clear over the talc to seal it and a light sanding and one more cleaning before puting on base coat.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:56 PM »
Bill,
short answer, um maybe? lol,

Ok to state the obvious, water on the bare wood would be disaster if you were in final finishing. However that haveing been said, when I final sand mine, I wet sand(with 600 if your interested) I also make sure that there is NO bare wood showing and actually that there is some film thickness between what I am sanding and the wood, in other words, dont get the wood wet. I usually tape off the leadout opening and the pushrod opening, anwhere water can sneak in, then touch those areas up after the rest is done. Specifically, the water based solvents dont seem to be as "wet" as water if that makes sense, and as I said, as long as there is something, be it dope or whatever, sealing the wood I havent had any concerns.
Pictures are of the latest beast I did this way. I had no issues of any swelling anywhere,(ok maybe my head cause it turned out pretty cool), none on the plane though!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here