News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First flight CG for Joe Ed and an attachment re CG and pilot response  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hi Joe Ed

Here's that lengthier response re the reasons for different CG locations for flapped vice unflapped stunt ships.  As it is quite long--sort of a ground school text re CG/Pitching moments due to CG location and flap deflection/resultant pilot feedback and response, etc. I attached it as a document.  In addition there is an attached picture I purloined from an old 1995 MA article I wrote on similar issues that will be of some help in visualizing some of the content of the document itself.  I suggest you download both and have the picture on the screen as a reference.

Others might also be interested in some of the discussion about the effects of CG location when flying in strong winds and turbulence etc.

Again, be forewarned, it is lengthy although not quite as bad as the last one!

Ted

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Thanks Ted,

I've got your article downloaded, saved and printed.  Both sets of grandkids are here this weekend so it may by a couple of days before I can study it.

Joe Ed

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Thanks Ted,

I've got your article downloaded, saved and printed.  Both sets of grandkids are here this weekend so it may by a couple of days before I can study it.

Joe Ed

No Sweat, Joe Ed.  Once I got started it took on a life of its own.  Would be a lot easier to make a live presentation with some fake Nobler clone gliders with adjustable CG, flaps/elevators etc. and demonstrate the various affects.  With words there is always something "else" to say to try to clarify what's already been said a different way.

Thanks for listening.

Ted

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
I have found that to be true. All four of the Magicians I have built I have built with moveable flaps. The Magician is very short coupled as that stab is not so far behind the wing. I found that it fly's much better with the CG at least an inch behind that shown on the plans. It turns much better and yet is groovy in rounds and level flight. It comes out of corners flat with no bobbles or bounce. The first two I built with adjustable lead outs, The next two with fixed.
Jim Kraft

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
I have found that to be true. All four of the Magicians I have built I have built with moveable flaps. The Magician is very short coupled as that stab is not so far behind the wing. I found that it fly's much better with the CG at least an inch behind that shown on the plans. It turns much better and yet is groovy in rounds and level flight. It comes out of corners flat with no bobbles or bounce. The first two I built with adjustable lead outs, The next two with fixed.

Glad it helped, Jim.  Did the Magician plans (ashamed to admit I never built/flew one) show the same CG location with and without the operating flaps?

Ted Fancher

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here