News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding Fuel in SE. Michigan  (Read 731 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Finding Fuel in SE. Michigan
« on: August 26, 2023, 05:54:46 PM »
   I have been communicating with a gentleman in South East Michigan that is looking to find fuel so he can return to control line sport flying. I have coached him on some of the more common brands but I am completely unfamiliar with that part of the country and if there are any vendors that sell fuel or the components for mixing it. He's got mainly older OS  .35s so needs the castor mix accordingly. O am also not too familiar with any membership here ion the forum that lives in that area. Let me know if there are any options for him up that a ways.
   Thanks in advance,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Re: Finding Fuel in SE. Michigan
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 06:57:10 PM »
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, fuel for CL is hard to come by via local hobby shops.

I basically have to purchase my fuel and have it delivered it to me. (I don't mix my own fuel)

I have done a lot of cost research and finally have ended up with RedMax fuel (from FHS Supply). They will blend any fuel mix you want. 5% nitro/29% all castor, 10% nitro/22% oil (50/50 castor/syn), etc. Whatever you want. I just call FHS supply and do a credit card order over the phone. They have been great to work with. They only sell quart size to avoid the shipping hazmat fees. Round numbers, $10/qt delivered to my home.

I combine my purchase w/ a couple of flying buddies and try to get a case of 20 quarts. It ends up being lowest cost/quart for a 20 qty order. But they will do smaller orders.

And after I get off the phone w/ FHS, the fuel is at my door in about a week or so.

BTW, I first tried to purchase fuel from Ritch's Brew with zero luck. Guess they did not want my $$. Contacted and emailed multiple times with no response. So I gave up.

(I have an OS 30s. I take my 10 nitro/22 oil (50/50 castor syn) and add castor to boost the total oil to 25%.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 07:16:31 PM by Colin McRae »

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 07:14:35 PM »
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, fuel for CL is hard to come by via local hobby shops.

Two bits of information we probably should know - RC Country Hobbies in Sacramento has all varieties of Powermaster and can/will order whatever you need, ~$29-$30 a gallon, that's where everyone gets their fuel. Sheldons in San Jose also usually has usable fuel, but is much less reliable as to what they have any particular time.

Secondly -- why don't you come out and fly with us? Meet and Meat is coming up, there are infrequently-scheduled practice sessions in Napa or a private site.

Brett

Online Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 09:02:06 PM »
Hi Colin:

Where do you live? We have a paved circle in Alameda that is a dedicated CL-only model field run by the City, open 7 days a week with no fees. Only requirement is to be a current AMA member with proof of insurance. We have no trouble getting Powermaster fuel as Brett notes. Most of the stunt guys are flying electric but we have lots of sport flyers using IC engines.

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 05:36:10 AM »
South East Michigan is next door to North West Ohio. Toledo is in North West Ohio .The RC show in April features Riches Brew at one of the booths . Randy Rich provides a great product at a good price . Rich’s Brew supports control line racing and combat and his fuel works very well in Stunters .

My tip is contact Randy and pick up some fuel next April at the Toledo show . I have no advice for the short term other than maybe contacting the Prop Shop in Sterling Heights and seeing if they can help you .

Brad

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 08:57:45 AM »
If you are just getting back into CL why not just order fuel from Brodak (https://brodak.com/fuel.html) get 2 quarts with no extra shipping fee. I usually order 1 qt of 5%N 29% all castor and 1 qt of 10%N 23% all syn mix the to for 7 1/2%N 26% total oil (roughly 50/50). This runs great in my Fox35's should work in the OS Max 35's too.

Best,   DennisT

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 09:37:23 AM »
FHS Red Max is likely the best and fastest source of fuel for anywhere you don't have a local supplier.  They also will sell fuel fixins if you like to mix your own.  Fast shipping -in quarts to get around the hazardous shipping charges.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Roy Johnson

• Ensign
  • (703) 929-2930
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 02:36:09 PM »
Just got 12 gallons from Rich’s Brew. Good service and a huge amount of flavors available.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 03:15:21 PM »
   I have been communicating with a gentleman in South East Michigan that is looking to find fuel so he can return to control line sport flying. I have coached him on some of the more common brands but I am completely unfamiliar with that part of the country and if there are any vendors that sell fuel or the components for mixing it. He's got mainly older OS  .35s so needs the castor mix accordingly. O am also not too familiar with any membership here ion the forum that lives in that area. Let me know if there are any options for him up that a ways.
   Thanks in advance,
    Dan McEntee
Prop Shop Hobbies in Warren MI, Nankin Hardware and Hobby in Westland MI. Both carry fuel.....
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline realSteveSmith

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 03:32:33 PM »
Just adding another option....

I recently purchased fuel from Stan at S & W.  I got the standard 10/10/10 blend and it was 23/gallon.  Shipping was $33 for a case (4 gal) to me in St Louis MO and the fuel arrived about 4 days after ordering. 

https://s-whobby.com/   

sales@s-whobby.com
AMA 175438

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 04:28:53 PM »
Macomb County is rich in model fuel, along with industrial parts and tools you can't find elsewhere.
Paul Smith

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 06:29:22 PM »
   Two bits of information we probably should know - RC Country Hobbies in Sacramento has all varieties of Powermaster and can/will order whatever you need, ~$29-$30 a gallon, that's where everyone gets their fuel. Sheldons in San Jose also usually has usable fuel, but is much less reliable as to what they have any particular time.

Secondly -- why don't you come out and fly with us? Meet and Meat is coming up, there are infrequently-scheduled practice sessions in Napa or a private site.

Brett

Thanks Brett. Ordering Redmax fuel from FHS Supply has been easy and works for me. And competitive pricing as I see it.

Concerning the upcoming Meet and Meat event in Napa, I live in San Rafael and am seriously considering flying at the meet, but in the beginner stunt class. I recently retired (mechanical engineer) and got involved in the CL hobby for about 2 years now and have been building and flying for sport and have never participated in a competition. I only recently attempted an OH8. But it would be good for me to experience a competition environment.

I actually went to the Napa event last year, but only on Sunday to watch the big dog's fly. I think we briefly met.

I am a member of the Wine Country Flyers club in the north bay. Our field is in Forestville, CA which is basically north Santa Rosa. Our club is predominately RC but we do have a 70' CL circle. There are 5 CL'ers out of like 80+ club members. I think you may know Paul Pomposo who recently joined our club as he lives so close to our field.

If you (or anyone else) is looking for a north bay located CL circle you are most welcome.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 06:41:17 PM »
Hi Colin:

Where do you live? We have a paved circle in Alameda that is a dedicated CL-only model field run by the City, open 7 days a week with no fees. Only requirement is to be a current AMA member with proof of insurance. We have no trouble getting Powermaster fuel as Brett notes. Most of the stunt guys are flying electric but we have lots of sport flyers using IC engines.
[/quote

Thanks Mike. I live in San Rafael. I am aware of the CL field in Alameda, but our Wine Country Flyers club field is near north Santa Rosa, which is long, but easy drive for me. Our club is predominantly RC, but we have 5 CL'ers. All IC sport with two combat fliers. No electric CL models so far. Not sure where you live but you are welcome to try out our field if you are ever in the north bay area. Just need to be an AMA member.

Interesting, I used to live in San Leandro, but was not involved in the hobby at that time. I recently retired and got involved in the hobby for 2 years now.

If it works out, I will try to visit the Alameda flied in the near future.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here