News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FINALLY DONE/WITH REPAIR  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
FINALLY DONE/WITH REPAIR
« on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »
You know how it is you finally reach a point where you just no longer want to work on it anymore.  Pictures look a little funky. I think the camera battery is a little low. Final weight came out at 46 3/4 oz. I don't know if that good or bad. I guess I'll find out this coming weekend. Balance seems ok for now. I guess the first flight will tell alot. This is my first Aero Tiger 36 so I don't know how much fuel it needs. I put a 4 oz. tank on and have been told I will have to go bigger. All Tom Morris controls. This is my first spray job and I learned a lot. I think the next one will come out a lot better. Learning curve with the new paint (Klass Kote) and new spray gun was kinda slow, but I feel good about all I learned. Already started the next one..GRINS
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:48:53 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: FINALLY DONE
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
NICE! I can't quite tell what the engine is...but it's a Scott Dinger muffler!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:36:41 PM »
Very nice!!!!!! H^^

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »
Looks great Greg! That a mighty fancy looking main gear, did you buy it like that or did you have it plated? I'll have to give that KlassKote a shot one of these days. Looks real nice!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:45 AM »
Looks GREAT Greg, Just beautiful.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
Plane looks great to the old DOC also.  Let us know how it flies.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ed Keller

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 09:00:16 AM »
A 4oz tank will be just about right. At this past weekend contest at Clanton, Tom Morris & John Simpson were both running AT .36's. They said it took 4oz for the pattern with spare time for starting, run-out at the end, etc. when the engines were new, but as they were broken-in, it took slightly less than 4oz.  Ed

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »
<Looks great Greg! That a mighty fancy looking main gear, did you buy it like that or did you have it plated? I'll have to give that KlassKote a shot one of these days. Looks real nice!>

Richard,
I made the Landing gear. It's polished aluminum. Note that it mounts to the bottom of the profile fuse and not the the sides as most do. Klass Kote appears expensive at first glance but when it's all said and done Klass Kote turned out to be cheaper in the long run just because it has good pigment in the paint and covers well thus even in the smallest sizes you can buy it will do 2 to 4 planes depending on the size of planes. For me, not being an expert the Klass Kote clear gives a beautiful glossy finish without the labor of rubbing out. In the passed I sprayed a plane four different colors plus clear with Sig spray cans at $9.95 a can from the local hobby shop. The total cost of just the color spray cans and primer and clear was around $100.00
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:44:33 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
Hi Greg, That's a really fine and inspirational project! I am sur that your enginewill be less thorsty once you've gotten two to three hours on it! At least that's the way they behave out here on the right coast! All the flyers out here who have them and who have run them swear by them after they have sworn at them!

Is the plane your own design or a bashed kit? Looks sharp whatever it is!
Phil Spillman

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
Looks oogd. I like the straight forward paint scheme and the execution is quite good.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I put small prop on it today and ran 3 tanks of 5% nitro with a synthetic/castor mix. I then switch to a Bolly 10 1/2 x 5 (this is the one that looks like a an APC except it's brown) and put up 5 flights. Needs trimming nothing serious. Felt like it's a little nose heavy. Added some more elevator, moved the handle apart switched to a Ted Francher hard point handle and this one I thought was kinda of weird. I moved the tank up each flight until it's at least 3/8 of an inch above the motor and it's still rich inverted although it's getting better. Is this normal. Plane flys really nice, really smooth. I did some square loops and just went right thru them no problem. The Aero Tiger 36 engine is really smooth running. It still needs more breakin. I have to get this inverted thing figured out before I can get into the pattern. So at this time I have 8 tanks of 4oz. each thru it. First 3 tanks the oil was black on the wing and after that it started coming out clear on the 5 following flights. Any thoughts or prop suggestions and thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:42:11 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 06:10:01 AM »
Greg
I really like the name. Sounds like it is going to be a winner. Wish I could give you some answers but I am still learning how to spell T R I M.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »
I really like it, Greg.  You are way ahead of anything I've ever done.  I even like the old 15 you sent me.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 09:21:48 PM »
Thanks Russ

I picked up a couple of Thunder Tiger Props I'm going to try this weekend, a 11 x 4.5 and a 10 1/2 x 5. Went to a little bigger tank and after it's broke in, if I don't need the extra fuel I'll go back to the 4 oz. job. I changed to a Great Planes spinner the one with the aluminum back plate as it's lighter than the aluminum one I had on it and I actually found a tongue muffler that was lighter than the tube that was on it. Just trying to get the nose a little lighter so maybe I can get a little better corner without adding weight to the tail. We'll see how it goes.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
Greg
      Yes I found the same thing with the tank height on the Cardinal,
ended up with it a long way above the engine venturi,I was running an
11x4 Hawk wood prop with a Smith T/muffler,I think this was to restrictive
did not have a light weight tube muffler that wood fit,but the APC 10.5x4.5
helped , 10,500 rpm ground release.I had run mine in as per the instructions
gets better with use.
Will use it in the Brodak Vector when its built,( wing is done )

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here