News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:08:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Field maintenance ?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Field maintenance ?
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
Sitting here wishing for green grass and thinking about our field.
Our take off area is kind of smooth but the rest of the field is rough. What are people doing to maintain a good field?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Field maintenance ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:26:12 PM »
well right now, nature is putting the "roller" on it,, about a foot of snow,, and lots of water,, Or I assume, I have not been out to look lately, its a bit chilly,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:41:32 AM »
Yea we won't get to do anything until spring.  Wish we had the funds to make a pad.
Was reading up on how to make a putting green.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:52:39 AM »
Working hard or spending big bucks.  Most have a few volunteers that do all the work while others watch, don't help, criticize,  then go fly. H^^

Maybe you need a new policy: He who does not help maintain doesn't fly.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »
We tried that with the RC club, doesn't work, because you have to be there all the time.   Now when spring hits and the ground thaws, you need a roller to go around the circle.   I still have my rug runner for when the ground is too rough. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Fitzgerald

• No longer an AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
We tried that with the RC club, doesn't work, because you have to be there all the time.   Now when spring hits and the ground thaws, you need a roller to go around the circle.   I still have my rug runner for when the ground is too rough. H^^

I have thought about a rug runner.  Might work for take-offs, but how do you manage rough field landings?  Some have said 3" wheels, but I think that would create a lot of drag.
To clarify my above post:  If members pay dues that go for circle maintenance, that would constitute helping.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »
Landings to me are easier than take off.   Also I don't think the larger wheels add that much drag. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »
I have really been wanting to design and build a sand spreader but haven't quite figured out how to do it. If one could lay down sand and somehow make it even with the highest level of the existing dirt it would fill in the low spots and the grass would just grow up through it. Our circles are really nice, not a problem at all with 2 inch wheels but laying down sand that would only fill in the low spots would make them just about as close to a golf green as one could get without investing the mega bucks a green costs to install and maintain.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
Bob,
I have thought the same thing. I remember my dad making me go out in the yard with a shovel , wheelbarrow, and sand,, filling in the divets in the yard a few at a time, then the grass would grow through. By the time I was in high school our yard was pretty smooth,, LOL

a spreader would be great, let me know when you get it sorted LOL

I thought first step was to cut grass real short, then maybe use a drag bar of some sort to spread the sand,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:53:11 PM »
I was thinking about spreading sand too, but then thought that grit might get sucked up the engine if you landed in one of the areas that you put down sand. A nose over landing or something that would bring the engine in contact with the ground. (don't say it)

I was thinking more of getting some fill dirt and a section of chain link fence and pulling it behind my truck. Like they do at baseball games to the end field.

The one thing I read up on the putting greens is you have to have good drainage, lots of sun, water, and wind moving over the area. I think that is why I sometimes see fans at some of the greens at golf courses I drive past. I always think how cool it would be to take off and land on some of those greens. <=
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
I have really been wanting to design and build a sand spreader but haven't quite figured out how to do it. If one could lay down sand and somehow make it even with the highest level of the existing dirt it would fill in the low spots and the grass would just grow up through it. Our circles are really nice, not a problem at all with 2 inch wheels but laying down sand that would only fill in the low spots would make them just about as close to a golf green as one could get without investing the mega bucks a green costs to install and maintain.

Hi Bob,

A pull behind fertilizer spreader is perfect for spreading sand.  A section of chain link fence as a drag and doing it SEVERAL times will definitely work.  I spent over 30 years in field maintenance.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »
Now thinking back to my days on the farm, working for Dad and the neighbors.  I remember the Alfalfa field I helped prepare.  Mr East wanted it table top smooth and the field had a few degrees slope to it.   First was plow everything under.   Then start the discing.  I think I went over the field with the disc at least three times.   The first pass is the roughest.   Then the harrow, some of the city folks won't know what I am talking about.   But that thing did the smoothing of the field.   Last was the planting of the seed.   I wish I had the equipment that he had to do all of that.   But, you don't plant grass seed, you sow it.   No seed tracks to worry about.   Then to make the surface really smooth, it takes a roller to pack the dirt and make it hard.   Do this after the grass has a good start and the gound is a little moist. H^^

John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Clayton Berry

• Grey haired kid to be wary of
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 10:52:16 AM »
Bent grass.  The stuff they use for golf greens.  Almost like saw dust.  I did 1/4 of my circle in the front yard.  Was great.  Had a permanent stooge hammered in.  3-4 flights before making dinner.  Ah, those were the days.  Got me to Expert with a lousy Twister and profile Cardinal.  I do miss taking home trophies though.  Perhaps one day.
Clayton - forever busy committing random acts of coolness

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
Well,  if you want to do it "right", first thing is getting hold of a rotovator to pull behind the tractor. (tiller-4 to 6 feet wide).  Tear everything up with that.  Rank out the rough weeds, etc., can use a harrow for that.  Then a "Scarifier drag" to start smoothing out the field.  Pulling a piece of chain length behind that helps.  Finish with hand raking.

Something like a fertilizer spreader can lay sand down as thick as you want and then constant dragging until it is like a Billiards Table.  If you need to replant, then find a good type of grass that is indigenous to your area.  Common Bermuda might work there as it does here.  When the grass is just high enough to mow, start mowing.  This will help the grass (Bermuda) to train and spread.  I've dome two football fields and three baseball fields.  And they were generally regarded as the best in the league.
It takes some time and some back bending, but can be done, and not as hard as it sounds.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joe Connelly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
Paul, we used to use an old bedspring towed behind the car in the 1950's.

Joe

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
That is when they made a frame to last.

Our problem is our club sits on a old landfill. We can't break ground. We can dump and spread dirt /sand only.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here