News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FAI to require F2B wrist strap?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FAI to require F2B wrist strap?
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »
There is a proposal before the FAI to be voted on at the March meeting to require a wrist restraint for F2B (and F2C as well).

Please voice your feelings to our U.S. delegate, Dave Brown at dbrown@dbproducts.com

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
Re: FAI to require F2B wrist strap?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
This is a very true story! 

I was flying in wind at a contest, and I should not have been.  The plane made an quick turn and flew across the circle but on its own.  When it reached the other side it pulled the handle out of my hand in an instant.  It was on a trajectory that was aimed straight at a very good friend who was judging.  The only thing that prevented a disaster was the strap between the handle and my wrist.  You have no idea how hard a .40 size plane can pull when it hits the end of the lines at full speed with the wind to its back.

There is some irony here the judge was also the person who sold me the handle with the wrist strap included.  Thanks Eric.

So my answer to your question is "Its about time."
Andy Borgogna
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:34:26 PM »
I put a strap on my handle 20 years ago and never looked back.  It's like seatbelts....takes a few days to get used to them, but once you are, you feel naked without them.  For the small investment, I can't believe anyone would play/fly without one.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
I put a strap on my handle 20 years ago and never looked back.  It's like seatbelts....takes a few days to get used to them, but once you are, you feel naked without them.  For the small investment, I can't believe anyone would play/fly without one.
Yeah, it's like seat belts.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
At the 1988 NATS I was flying a C7A Caribou in CL FAI Scale.  It had a 76 inch WS with two HB 40's and weighed over 14 lbs.  The handle I was using had the cord wrapped the entire length of the grip and the excess cord on both ends were made into slip knots.  The end from the top of the handle went to the top of my wrist and the end from the bottom of the handle went to bottom of my wrist.

About three laps into my last flight the model made a sharp left turn and passed over my head.  When it hit the end of the lines I did not loose control of the handle.  The two strands of 120 lb test steel insulated lines (.027 dia.) held. 

A review of film of the flight showed I had broken a wing spar and the outboard tip was pointing up.

Pull tests should be for the worst case event, not the average event.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »

I say exactly the same thing about the safety thongs, when you fly without one, you feel naked.  I remember seeing a video of bob Lampione flying an ARF nobler, that was set way too rich.  He flew around and let go of the handle accidently.  I could only imagine what could have happened if he wasn't wearing the wrist strap.

Matt Colan

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
My email to Dave Brown,

Dave Brown,

Word is out that FAI wants to have wrist straps on control line handles for all F2 events. That’s all well and good for F2A, F2B, and F2D.
However for F2C this would be a diaster in the making, with 3 pilots in the circle and lap times hitting 1.7 seconds per lap the ability to be able to change hands in an emergency is paramount to keep from bringing down all three planes. Plus the risk of a pilot getting wrapped up is another contestant lines and being seriously hurt would be rather high. Wrist straps have no place in racing with the rerquired 3 contestants in a heat or final race.

On a personal note my 14 year old son (see attachment, we are fortunate to fly with the best in the world that’s Dick Miles UK, and J.E. Albritton U.S.A. in the circle with him) is an up and coming F2C pilot who drives an airplane like its on rails and is becoming comfortable flying 3 up at international speed and lap times. If the wrist strap rule is imposed on F2C, we're done, I will not let him get hurt by being wrapped up in another contestants lines. That is not a threat just a fact of life, wrist straps have no place is F2C.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on this subject.

Regards,

Scott Jenkins
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:37:12 PM »
Wrist straps are a disaster in BOTH F2C AND F2D.

However, F2D has been forced to used them for many years and countless airplanes and lines have been destroyed in line tangles that were cleared by changing hands in the past.  Furthermore, prolonged line tangles have resulted in flyaways, triggering an even worse rule, the fuel shutoff.

It's about time F2C shared the agony, or maybe dropped the thing altogether.

I'm surprized that F2B didn't have the thing already.

Paul Smith

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »
My email to Dave Brown,

Word is out that FAI wants to have wrist straps on control line handles for all F2 events. That’s all well and good for F2A, F2B, and F2D.
However for F2C this would be a diaster in the making, with 3 pilots in the circle and lap times hitting 1.7 seconds per lap the ability to be able to change hands in an emergency is paramount to keep from bringing down all three planes. Plus the risk of a pilot getting wrapped up is another contestant lines and being seriously hurt would be rather high. Wrist straps have no place in racing with the rerquired 3 contestants in a heat or final race.

Perhaps a passive flyaway shutoff like those required in F2D would be better suited for F2C in lieu of the wrist safety strap.
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:44:05 PM »
There is a proposal before the FAI to be voted on at the March meeting to require a wrist restraint for F2B (and F2C as well).

Please voice your feelings to our U.S. delegate, Dave Brown at dbrown@dbproducts.com

For Stunt, put me down for a "Yes" (and I will email Dave with my opinion). I don't feel qualified to discuss it for the other events, and I would think that, unlike stunt, an decent argument could be made either way. For stunt I think it's a no-brainer.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
I haven't seen a plethora of handles dropped in either F2B or F2C.  I don't think I've seen it happen in F2D, either.  I'll sell you a shutoff if it will make you feel safer. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
It seems like somebody in a power position has a hankerin' pass some "safety rules" jus kus he kin.

Maybe if a real problem is proven, it could be better-addressed by flying inside a steel cage or imposing a clear zone, like maybe 200 metres, rather than contestant-supplied gizmos of questionable effectiveness.
Paul Smith

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
I haven't seen a plethora of handles dropped in either F2B or F2C.  I don't think I've seen it happen in F2D, either.  I'll sell you a shutoff if it will make you feel safer. 
I have never seen a person loose a handle. In all the years I have flown I have never seen this happen as a result it took me a long time to remember to put on the safety strap. There is a real positive thing about the strap. If you put it on the down side of the handle it is a flag to tell you you have the handle turned the right way. This saves planes. (PE**) HB~>

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
I will not fly in competition stunt without a safety strap.  The last flight on my Brodak Nobler pproved that.  Had plenty of witnesses too.  Had trouble getting an engine run and should have pulled out.  But, I had to get at least one flight in.  It started out okay.  It was when I started the second half of the reverse wingover.  The engine sagged just enough that the airplane leveled out about head high.  I tried to anticipate when it was going to hit the end of the lines whe the handle was yanked out of my grip.  I always thought I had a good grip.  The safety thing kept the plane in the circle, but, my wrist hurt for days afterward. 

As far as racing I would not recommend a safety thing, especially three up. 

Guess I had better send an E-Mail.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:08 AM »
Gentlemen,
Here is Dave Brown's reply to my email.

" I agree with you (believe it or not, I was an F2C pilot in my younger years, back when Stockton, and Jehlik were GOD..... that was, almost 50 years ago!!!) .......

I can't imagine flying F2C with a strap ...... that would be VERY scary to me....

Not to worry, I will vote no, and will try to convince others to do the same...."

Dave Brown
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 10:46:57 AM »
   . . .  For stunt I think it's a no-brainer.

Brett

Right. All the time.

First, in the heat of competition and for newbies, it is impossible to pick up a handle upside down.

Second, for us old guys, if we have a stroke in the middle of the circle, the emergency squad doesn't overlook the guy who is horizontal and NOT bloody.  ;)

Larry Fulwider

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 05:02:31 PM »
Scott;  that is basically what I got back from Dave also.  He did say it sounded like a good idea for F2B to have a wrist strap even tho he himself had never seen a stunt model come loose from the pilot.  Makes you wonder where they get some of these people in the FAI organization.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here