News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: F2B Rule Changes .  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
F2B Rule Changes .
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:41:04 PM »

IF the regulations for F2B have been amended to a pull test of 10 G, rather than 20 G.
  It seems to me gross stupidity from the safty aspect,I.E. stopping flyaways.

IF the Maximum flyable windspeed has been reduced ,is it to cater for incompetants ,or cowards.

AT a world championship level - the cream of the aerobatic pilots are supposed to have the opportunity to display ther skill
 copeing with atrocious conditions is intregal with that . The 'also rans' always have the option of missing any manouvres they cant cope with ,
 about the only troublesome one would be the hourglass .(and O-head 8s)

My other peeve is that a transferable electronic position indicator would allow impartial judgeing .

Im 'prattling on ' about international level competition only . in the intrest of giving it some credebility. (besides stirring up a few bods )

Try to keep the responses to a rational rather than emotive argument (debate) please .

Matt. Spencer.

Added; A maximum Model WEIGHT, rather than size,would seem more logical. 2.5 kilo ?
2 kilo in a 20 kt breeze is sufficent ' Fun ',depending on pilot mass !
My veiw is that fling in the wind is a challange,and a descriminating factor re apptitude .
Also it would be nice to see regulations encourageing aircraft development and diversification,
rather than challenge it.Also allowable 80 ft. lines would be an improvement,but most likely
impractical.
Paul Walkers B-17 was probably the most innovative aeroplane seen in years,which the
ammendments casually banned,. . . . . PROGRESS     ? .
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:03:33 PM by Matthew Spencer »

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: F2B Rule Changes .
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 07:06:31 PM »
Matt:
I have been to a World Championship event....and yes, there were some brilliant flyers, the ranks are also populated with flyers that have the money to get there and represent their home country at a level that is surely NOT "cream of the crop".....great fun.

I think that there is an attempt by the FAI to confuse the event through bureaucratic minutia....true of almost all governing organizations.

I wish that the US would adopt FAI rules....and that someone would simplify them...

I say that that the windspeed should be addressed, and possibly reduced even more.....I have seen a top level contest in very high winds and the flying is ugly...no way resembling anything "precision".....too much wind may build big nuggets, but it sure precludes finding a true champion.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »
Another GRIPE ,if the flights were filmed from a fixed fishbowl lens camera,
with the better flights replayed on a large screen in the evenings,
including the more enthralling attempts and bizzare results.
It would be getting to a televisable level,
therefore you wouldnt get asked " Is that Radio Control " at the flimg field !

(Yes; 10 channel , sattilite controlled, I just stand there and hold the handle ! )

Matthew .

Further WHINGING in responce to an E'Mail.

Specifically, WIND SPEED , Dropped from 12 to 9 M-sec.
My perception is that wind provides a challenge, though sites that produce turbulance
are not exactly brilliant ,making it a lottery ,unless there pretty consistant, such as a feild with 'some trees'.

MODEL SIZE , I think the SIZE is the wrong Parameter ;  The WEIGHT is Paramount to saftey.

At the moment, one could enter a 5 kilo plane ,at a 50 Kilo pull test, or is it 20 Kilo Max.?
If it did a hard left upwind, and the pilot wore a thong,thered be a dislocated arm ,or hed be in the next field down wind ?

SO a maximum WEIGHT LIMIT is relevant saftey wise ,rather than maximum size.

SO if youd flown a 100 M.P.H. Combat wing, in a 60 kt. wind ,youd have some experiance of
wind limitations on manouverability.

PULL TEST . If a person cant build a plane to take a 20 G pull test, its because they cant be bothered or arnt intrested.

THE ANGLE from which I view this is having C/L & stunt particulary viewed publicly as
a Spectical of Skill, Competance,& Science.

so people who'd say get into motorcycle racing or drag racing view it as an intresting ALTERNATIVE,

rather than as an alternative to the Bridge Club.

In Newzealand, as in most places, the 'SEASONAL' winds are there, if you fly, you fly in the wind,certain times of the year. Different Approach, different Aeroplane. Different addrenaline level ! I.E. a Challenge,
Mentally, phisically,logisticaly and tactically.                    OR , a 'Cop OUt. ' - Dont fly !

At the moment the Americas Cup Yacht Races are ' on the Television.

Control line Aerobatics arnt . WHY.
What approach would be needed to 'make it of sufficent public intrest >
THREE GUESSES -  Have a look at any televised Sports Event,
Id sum them up as provideing 1 / a CHALLENGE.
                                        2/ Comprehendable .
                                        3/ The Tension of 'the Battle', wich F2B has in spades ?
                                        4/ the unknown - its not over till its over !

A well presented 'TOURNAMENT' of Aerobatics,on film,would be Good Viewing.

Maybe you blokes should hook up with the 'On Any Sunday' producer, to get it all on film ,
wilst the likes of Bill Wewage and the VETERANS are still around,

The other directions lying down and being over regulated into TOTAL obscurity,
when the 'old school' of the fifties and sixties passes ?  -  Moribund ? ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:33:11 PM by Matthew Spencer »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:19:22 PM »
Sorry Bill,  I just have to say it.   Some people just can't be pleased.  I don't fly F2B, and admire those willing to put in the time for the event.  I  know some pay their own way just to participate and represent their country.   One person I really admire for that is Rene Berger.  Hope I spelled his name right as he is one fine gentleman.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:26:58 PM »
Matt:
I have been to a World Championship event....and yes, there were some brilliant flyers, the ranks are also populated with flyers that have the money to get there and represent their home country at a level that is surely NOT "cream of the crop".....great fun.

I think that there is an attempt by the FAI to confuse the event through bureaucratic minutia....true of almost all governing organizations.

I wish that the US would adopt FAI rules....and that someone would simplify them...

I say that that the windspeed should be addressed, and possibly reduced even more.....I have seen a top level contest in very high winds and the flying is ugly...no way resembling anything "precision".....too much wind may build big nuggets, but it sure precludes finding a true champion.

Tried to send you an E-Mail, but, it would not go thru.  Maybe the administrator will not delete my post.   By the way are you going to be at the NATS?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
Sorry Bill,  I just have to say it.   Some people just can't be pleased.  I don't fly F2B, and admire those willing to put in the time for the event.  I  know some pay their own way just to participate and represent their country.   One person I really admire for that is Rene Berger.  Hope I spelled his name right as he is one fine gentleman.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday

???  Hi Doc! ???

"Bill"
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here