News:

• May 10, 2024, 01:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exterminating for fun  (Read 1783 times)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Exterminating for fun
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
I was test running an old Fox 19 today that I got in a Lil Dynamite that I bought off Craig's list. I popped off the back cover and checked to see if the rod was stuck to the pin oiled it up put a new RSM 9x6 on it and a new plug and headed out to fire it up . I usually make test stands out of pallets , I take the 3/4 x 4 long pieces leave them long with the engine attached at one end and put something heavy on the board to hold it from moving, I pick it up and point it up to cycle the engine and try different tanks etc. A carpenter Bee flew right into the prop they were busy boring holes in the fascia boards on the garage I found if they got within a foot or so of the prop they got sucked in and spit out in pieces! 2 1/2 oz. Of fuel got 9 bees a home improvement that I actually enjoyed my Fiancé just shook her head gave me THAT look and went back inside. mw~
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Exterminating for fun
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:25:07 PM »
It's the little things that make life worth living. 

Btw, a 9x6 is a lot of prop for an old Fox 19. Try an 8x6.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »
LOL... Women don't understand such things.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »
I guess I am easily amused  n~ You are right about the prop Clint it swung it ok but it bogged it down quite a bit , it was the only one handy with a 1/4 inch hole in it, though the needle valve was very vague its on of the older spade types which I have gotten pretty used to on 35's I am going to try a tapered needle in it and if that doesnt work its getting an ST needle. T.J. The funny thing was is the Bee's seemed to be attracted to the sound.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »
You may be starting a new market demand for old Fox 19's !!!!

I have similar troubles with those carpenter bees, but mine are after some boards 3 stories up. I may have to go after them with a R/C helicopter.

-Chris

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
I was test running an old Fox 19 today that I got in a Lil Dynamite that I bought off Craig's list.

I used to use a 9x6 on my old Fox .19. Make sure that prop has ground clearance on the Lil Dynamite because I think the original plane had a K&B Greenhead .15 on it. That is one of my favorite Larry Scarinzi designs.

Good luck with it.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Bart Klapinski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

I remember exterminating a butterfly with Delaney's Two Much at VSC. That one really cost me.

Bart

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »

I remember exterminating a butterfly with Delaney's Two Much at VSC. That one really cost me.

Bart

You had to be there!  Bart was "on a tear" with that twin Fox.35 giant....when suddenly one of the engines quit at an inopportune time.  Post-flight inspection showed that a butterfly had ingested one of the intakes, shutting it down abruptly.

Prior to that, it was a magnificent flight.  In particular the Reverse Wingover was "textbook"....among the crispest I've ever seen.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »

Bart
      I remember that and was there at VSC that year. What I remember most about was the way the engine sounded before it quit. I don't think I have ever heard anything like that before or since. I don't think I could even describe it now. And the look on everyone's face when we found the sad remains of the butterfly in the intake! Another little tidbit of VSC folk lore!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
Fox 59's will draw bumble bees from miles away. The worst of it is not all of them go through the prop and seem to be very aggressive as in I want to sting something.
Jim Kraft

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
I managed to contact  a carpenter bee with one of those "electrified" tennis racket gizmos. It made a nice snap and the bee took off in a straight line till it was out of sight.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here