News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Explain Carrier  (Read 1997 times)

Offline PerttiMe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Explain Carrier
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Carrier

Lots of people seem to be exited about it but I've never understood it. You have carrier landing, high speed and low speed. Right? Is there something else that is judged?

At least the aircraft needs throttle and some way to control the hook. And then there could be flaps and some weird stuff going on with the leadout guides (in some classes only?). Sounds complicated. Is it? Or does it have to be?

Sounds like running a contest could be complicated. Is it?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
Re: Explain Carrier
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
I never saw carrier events until I attended the Northwest Regional a few years ago. I have to admit, I was left somewhat wondering. The takeoffs and landing were cool, as were the high speed runs. But hanging the plane on the prop for what seemed like 20 minute laps . . .  :-\ :-\. Instead, maybe a timed lap that was slow, but allowed the plane to maintain a realistic flight attitude. I'm guessing that the pilot is judged on keeping the plane pointed somewhat forward as a judge was standing behind the pilot watching the plane with some sort of triangle looking gauge.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:52 AM »
The airplane must maintain forward motion and can't exceed 60 deg from horizontal, this is what the center judge is looking for. Many of us don't believe prop hanging is cool especially those of us that spent time on a real carrier. I just accept it and if I continue past the entry events I will need an airplane that will do it and learn how to fly it.

The fun is really in 15 and Sportsman, engines are affordable and available, the TT 36 is fairly competitive and can be bought for $50.00 off eBay. In 15 the Magnum 15 can be bought new from Tower for around $70.00. Brodak has several kits that qualify for Sportsman (36) and just about anything can be used in 15. Also from the grapevine I expect we will see a few more carrier kit releases in the near future.

For real entry level fun see the post by Joe Just..
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20582.0

I uploaded the rules in a DOC file to the Tulsa Gluedobbers web site..
http://www.tulsacl.com/files/PCC2011rules.doc

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:38:51 AM »
I get the speed and the precision landings. Prop hanging, on the other hand, seems totally wrong to me. I am no Scale fanatic (far from it) but I prefer to see aircraft flying roughly in a way that man carrying aircraft would.

What about the mechanics for the "extra" functions (in addition to "up and down")? PIA to set up?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »
Often, when fellows don't like the "hanging" aspect of Carrier, they post and leave out a very important tidbit of information.

Dick Perry, often President of the Navy Carrier Society, quite a few years ago, responded to the "hanging" issue in a positive way by re-introducing Carrier the way it was in the 'fifties, 'sixties....

It is called, "Nostalgia Carrier" and has all the classes and all the rules of the original event. It's flown at the NATs and is pretty serious business. To jumpstart the event, Dick donated a NIB Rehead McCoy 60 Racing engine, in the orignial tinplate presentation box!

So, it's there for everyone.....Happy Landings!

dg

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
Another hanging optional event is "Sportsman" carrier. Although allowed, most competitors fly a standard (nostalgia?) flight profile. Not liking prop hanging is not no longer a valid reason for dismissing the event. 8)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:05:23 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dave Rolley

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
BTW, the 60 degree rule was added to Carrier in order to limit the nose up attitude.  Prior to the 60 degree rule the only requirement during low speed was to maintain forward motion. 

And yes, there were a few folks that were maintaining the nose well above 60 degrees before the rule was added.

Dave

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
And it is so much fun being the center judge and watching the plane and trying to stay out of the pilots way.  Especially when a competitor thinks he has a good low speed going and a gust of wind hits him as he is coming into the headwind.   I also like when all of a sudden by the fourth lap of low speed they have three fouls already.   If you ever get to watch Bill Biscoff fly his planes you will know it takes a lot of practice to get to that point.   When I was good locally there was one carrier event.  I flew the Sterling Gaurdian with a Merco .49 throttle valve engine.   Then switched to McCoy .60 set up by Bill Johnson.   Still have the McCoy along with one that used to belong to one of my competitors.   As stated earlier, it takes a dependable engine.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »
The first time I saw Carrier was at the 2004 NATs. I got to stooge for Dale Gleason. (and I think he took home some hardware)
It was kind of cool to watch. I do think the slow laps were a bit like flying a Bi-Slob.
And I like flying my Slob. y1
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
 In 2004 the USA hosted the World Championships and the NCS provided a "Carrier Demonstration"....the purpose to show other countries how we fly the event.

With Paul's help I placed second in Class II....I've had two or three second place finishes  in Class II, but never hit the Home Run.

dg :)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 08:05:22 AM »
If I remember right, a lot of people asked what they were doing.   Seems they had more of a contest than a demo.  I was over at F2C site and did not get to see any of it.   My definition of a demo is someone flying while someone else explains what they are doing.  Then having planes for people to try. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags: carrier 

Advertise Here