News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: EPP CL Trainers?  (Read 918 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
EPP CL Trainers?
« on: September 10, 2007, 04:35:42 PM »
While flying sailplanes the slope soarers and later the thermal guys got into "unbreakable" EPP sailplanes.  EPP is that soft flexible foam that shows up in heavy electronics boxes with your new TV set.

Gets a bit complicated when you put an engine on the front, but can't help wondering that id should be possible to build a really robust, really durable and really ugly but virtually unbreakable CL BASIC trainer using the stuff.

I probably missed it, but has anyone tried?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: EPP CL Trainers?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »
Dennis, what is needed is a full fuselage, attractive, modular EPP foam electric trainer.  "Excellent Control Line Airplane, All You Need In One Box,  $59.95."  The local source, or on line, has replacement parts, and you can get a hop-up kit which converts the trainer to a full-pattern capable airplane.  Once something like that becomes available at the usual outlets, control line will boom.  If Topflight can make money with CL ARF's, then someone will figure out how to make money with such a product.  Until then fly all you can, because the circle is going to get crowded.   y1

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:13:06 PM »
We have a couple of these  down here in NZ - they fly pretty good and sure take a beating
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
Jim T
That sounds like the proverbial mousetrap with the word beating a path to who ever's door it leads to.  With all the emphasis on schoolyard RC it seems a schoolyard CL would be an easy winner!

Wynn:
Can you share any particulars about the layout of these EPP birds?  Are they "normal" airplanes with EPP wings & fuselages?  Wood or plastic tails?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:16:45 AM »
Maybe something like the Cox plane, that I can't remember the name of anymore (Viper, Super Viper????), could be made as a "foamie", electrified, and sold as a "ready to fly" package.  As I recall from what I read, it was a pretty good flying stunter.  Glen 
Glen Wearden

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »
Have you seen Igor Burger's indoor electric projects?  Seems they would be very similar.

I think they are slight modifications to the ARF foam flat-wing 3D electrics that are so popular for indoor.

Curt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here