News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engines...  (Read 906 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
engines...
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »
     H^^ Mornin guy's, this am I was working on an engine, OS 46 LA, and dropped the piston, in the process the wrist pin came out, is there a certain way that it goes back in??
      I know how the rod goes back on the crank, and lookin very closely at the wrist pin and rod I couldn't see any difference in them as to orentation.
      Is there a difference???
                    Thanks a lot, D>K
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
Re: engines...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:24:13 AM »
 H^^Good Morning Gil,

First thing I do when I take off a back plate is mark the connecting rod with an X. Then when it is time to put it back in the X goes toward the back plate.

I cannot answer your question because I have never taken an LA 46 apart. The wrist pin just goes in and the rod on it. Which way the orientation is on the rod to wrist pin has to be set correctly if there is a baffle. On the LA ?

I am sure someone is going to help you with this. You can probably go to tower or OS and look at the exploded view of the LA.

Good Flying,

Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
The wrist pin can go in either way.  Check to see that the end pads aren't excessively worn and replace it if they are.

The rod lower bushing is usually relieved(beveled or rounded) on the inside diameter, so it clears the tiny radius between the crank pin and the shaft.  The relieved side goes forward.  Marking the rod before removal is a good idea.  If you do happen to get it in the wrong way its unlikely to do any real damage.  The bushing corner will wear in pretty quickly, but it might cause a bit of black oil in the exhaust for a couple of runs.
phil Cartier

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 05:05:57 AM »
Chuck and Phil, thanks for the suggestions, got it back together and it seems to be ok..  Again guy's thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here