News:

• April 26, 2024, 01:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Names  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine Names
« on: June 19, 2022, 06:54:53 AM »
I was looking at a "VECO" engine this AM and got to wondering if there was an engine guy named "VECO" or if it is a acronym for something else.

Does anyone know? How about other engines?

Thank you, Jerry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine Names
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 07:33:24 AM »
Type in Veco engines on your search of google and be prepared to read about them.   Were great for their purpose, D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »
Gil Henry started a company  he wanted to call "HECO" (Henry Engineering Company), but the name was already in use, so being on Victory street, he came up with Veco instead. Long story short. May not be totally accurate, but close enough for the name. D>K   Also, most of the early Veco engines were  made by K&B and were almost identical in external appearance. H^^

Here's a link with a little history. https://rcbookcase.com/data/media/22/Veco_Catalog_1963.pdf

Not sure about your "made by K & B" comment. Veco (Henry Engineering) was heavily influenced by Clarence Lee and Bob palmer. The Veco engines had a full height casting including cyl fins with a drop in cylinder liner. K & B's had a bolt on steel liner
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 02:50:32 PM »
Here's a link with a little history. https://rcbookcase.com/data/media/22/Veco_Catalog_1963.pdf

Not sure about your "made by K & B" comment. Veco (Henry Engineering) was heavily influenced by Clarence Lee and Bob palmer. The Veco engines had a full height casting including cyl fins with a drop in cylinder liner. K & B's had a bolt on steel liner

The early Veco engines ( 3 bolt backplate) had a bolt on finned  cylinder liner. (like the early K&B's) The later ones ( 4 bolt backplate ) had a full height casting. (like a Fox .35)

The reason  the H in Heco was replaced with a "V"  was that the V was the same width as the H. This made the company name change easier and cheaper.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:39:15 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 04:41:18 PM »
Excellent information gentlemen! Thank you very much for the replies.

Jerry

PS; "You're never to old to learn something new!"

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 03:49:40 AM »
But no mention of the kits?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here