News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric vs. Internal combustion: your experience/preference  (Read 7137 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Electric vs. Internal combustion: your experience/preference
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2023, 10:09:11 PM »
I fly all electric.  But there was a learning curve.  The big thing is you have to know how to or learn how to solder.  You will need a good soldering iron. A high wattage soldering gun is not ideal for electronics.  That was not a problem for me.  I learned how to solder 70 years ago (I was 13).  The big thing is you have to learn about electric motors, timers, speed controllers, and batteries.  Batteries are the biggy.  They require care or they don't last long.  Also you need to invest in a good battery charger.  Motors are next on the list.  If you overload them smoke comes out and you then need a replacement.  Motors run from $40 to $80 so a fried motor is a hit in the pocket.  I have fried several motors when I first started out  :P.  But once I got the hang of it all has been good   #^.  I have not ever destroyed a timer or speed controller but it can and does happen.  So if you are new to electric and do not have a background in electronics it could be painful and costly.  If at all possible get the help of a fellow flyer that is already into electric.  Like any hobby, if you cant afford it don't do it.  For me electric has worked out.  For others your millage may very.   D>K
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Leonard Duke

• New Pilot
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2023, 05:53:15 PM »
Hobbies are great things.
With electric you have one hobby of flying an airplane.
With IC you have two hobbies: puttering with the engine, and flying the airplane. Engines are wonderful things, rewarding success with violent, noisy, exotic-smelling fun!

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2023, 06:03:43 PM »

... puttering with the engine, and flying the airplane.
If you don't think you have to putter with electric then you are a prejudiced putterer.  Electric has a whole set of thrills awaiting the unsuspecting. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2023, 07:53:35 AM »
Thought Reg's plane was electric , saturday . There was so much smoke coming out the back it looked like it was on fire .

Id prefer rubber power , stunt . For the Magisty . But ' we're told it wont work . For compitition anyway .
Maybe someone will invent some new rubber strip , that will make it entirely practical .  VD~ S?P

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2023, 01:03:38 PM »
Thought Reg's plane was electric , saturday . There was so much smoke coming out the back it looked like it was on fire .

Id prefer rubber power , stunt . For the Magisty . But ' we're told it wont work . For compitition anyway .
Maybe someone will invent some new rubber strip , that will make it entirely practical .  VD~ S?P

"Flash Steam" is the next big thing, but I like how you think. I built and flew one F1B (Wakefield), and didn't like fn around with the rubber motors much, plus they aren't cheap and they don't last long. A rubber motor is good for only one max winds flight, and if it survives that, a few test flights at less than maximum winds. Otherwise, it was a fun event, and circa 1972, the designs were reasonably nice to build and fly. Now, not so much.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2023, 01:58:49 PM »
John Rist andI are the only two that fly Electric in our club of 15.. Although I do fly both.  But the simple act of pushing an on switch, then pressing a  button to start your motor far outweighs the flipping of a prop. That plus no goop to wipe off after each flight.  I am going more and more towards all electric, the price of fuel is getting silly and hard to find for CLPA engines. D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2023, 08:23:02 PM »
Electric is a cult and travesty. Offensive to right thinking members of the human race.

Actually, electric has many advantages. More consistent run. Barometric pressure, moisture in the air, temperature, tank weirdness and so forth, not a problem. Vibrations won't foam fuel in your tank. Find someone who knows how to set up electric for control line, if possible.

IC model airplane engines are troublesome, subject to difficult to diagnose and fix gremlins. It takes years to get them to work well most of the time. Many of us are attached to these noisy stink pots though. Our learning curve has been steep. Part of our fun in the hobby. WE ARE NOT MASOCHISTS. Yeah. Well. Best friends can be demanding.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 10:30:18 PM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2023, 08:25:28 PM »

Pachasa Air Engine (1928) http://www.modelenginenews.org/pachasa/index.html

Got me thinking about Compressed Air Engines , now . You get plenty of exercise pumping them up .  S?P

Dunno if modern stuff would make tank weight acceptable  . Nitous injection for the 4 - 2 break .  VD~

seems they may have suffered a lack of development ?

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2023, 08:29:42 PM »

"Flash Steam" is the next big thing,  "  ;D

http://www.steamcar.net/flying-steam-5.html

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here