News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting back into the hobby  (Read 609 times)

Offline Scott Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Getting back into the hobby
« on: June 19, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »
Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I'm recently semi-retired and would like to get back into the hobby after about 40yrs. I flew control line with my dad back in the late 70's early 80's, so I have some experience flying(not stunt though). I also have built several planes with my dad and a couple by myself, again this was 40ish years ago. I have been watching Sparky and all the builds and repairs and I have learned alot. My question to the masses is,"What is a good kit to start with?" I don't want a profile plane or electric, I would like a kit I can take my time on and really get into the build, I would like to silk span it and a dope finish like dad and I used to do. The hobby has changed so much and I'm really not sure where to start. Thank You in advance for all that reply.

Thanks Scotty

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Getting back into the hobby
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 11:39:32 AM »
Would really help if we knew where you are located.  At the bottom of this post you will see where I'm at.  As far as kits browse the Brodak Mfg site as well as RSM Distribution.   Also if you look through this forum you will see builds of planes.  If you need a plane ready to fly there may be some help out there.  Welcome back and don't be afraid to ask questions. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Scott Johnson

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 11:56:35 AM »
Hi John, I live about 45 miles north of Pittsburgh in a little town called New Castle. Not much for hobby shops around here, that is to say they don't have control line airplane stock. I am however only just shy of 2hrs from Brodak. I want to build my plane, I don't want a ARF, part of the experience I had with my dad that I really liked was the build.

Thanks for replying

Scott Johnson
424 N Vine St
New Castle, Pa. 16101

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 12:06:48 PM »
I now know of one gentleman in the Pittsburgh area you might get in touch wit by the name of Dalton Hammett.  He is on this forum. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 12:35:08 PM »
If you ask 10 CL flyers which airplane to start with, you will get at least 20 answers.  That being said…

If you decide on a design, then drive over to Brodak’s and peruse, I guarantee you will come home with a different model (or several).  Also having gotten that out of the way…

For a full-size and full-fuselage stunter, take a look at the Olympic Mk IV if you want the Golden Era look, or the United if you want a more modern look.  Both are 53” wingspan (+/-) and .35-.46 engine.

If you don’t like the $250 price tag on those, or if you have a small car, take a look at the $126 Cub (it doesn’t look like a Piper Cub) 37” wingspan and .15-.19 engine.

There’s my 2˘ worth.

Paul

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 01:39:08 PM »
Not sure why you don't want an electric.  If you are starting from "0" it takes $ to set up for either electric or gas.     Also you might consider an ARF or a use airplane to get back into flying.  To build a model and perhaps crash it can be painful if you have a lot time invested in it.  Anyway Welcome back!   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 02:34:56 PM »
I will echo John with the why not electric.  I came back in after 35 years in the wilderness in 2018.  I had the same reaction to electric but quickly found out that I was wasting time and money building up an IC fleet.  I will say this for IC, they recover from crashes better.

Enough on that.  What is your estimation of your flying ability?  A full bodied properly powered stunt ship is probably the easiest of all control line planes to fly but they are expensive and don't survive violent crashes well.  If your goal is to learn the pattern, then something that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage to fix in a crash should be your learning tool.  That does not preclude building a stunter or even flying it, just not to learn the pattern.  Every maneuver in the pattern has it's own set of gotcha's that will most likely lead to a crash or two till you figure it out.

I like Paul's choices.  Of the two I would like the Olympic for looks but, having flown both, I would choose the United.  If you can afford to be building more than one, get yourself something along the lines of a Banshee or Twister to abuse. 

On this forum no question is too insignificant to get answered.  Just be patient, some of your better answers will come well into the thread.  Many of the best stunt fliers in the world are regular contributors.  We have a search function that will return page after page of historical posts about your question.  Some of them might even be what you are looking for.  HB~>

Ken

AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 07:02:41 PM »
My 'getting back into the CL hobby' somewhat parallels yours. I flew CL (only 1/2a models) as a kid in Hawaii and then nothing for 40+ years. I recently retired and restarted the CL hobby which I continue to enjoy.

I know you don't want to build a profile model. But here is my suggestion based on my experience. Crashes are inevitable if you have not flown in many years. I would build a profile model first mainly because they are easy to build and are easier to repair if you crash. A built-up fuselage model, while great, is significantly harder to repair if you experience a crash.

My suggestion is to build a profile model to get some immediate flight 're-experience', then concurrently work away on the model build you really desire.

My first model was a Brodak Shark 402 profile model. It is a great CL trainer. Not too big and not too small. And my Shark uses an OS 25 LA engine. I cannot stress enough how great the OS LA engines are. My Shark has also crashed 2x and easily repaired. It still gets in the air now and then and is one of my favorite models.

Concerning glow engines vs electric, that is totally personal preference. Being a mechanical engineer, I enjoy (and need) pistons and crankshafts to power my models.

Good luck getting back into the CL hobby.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 07:29:05 PM »
Vector from Brodak's or a classic Nobler.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 08:18:33 PM »
Something like a Gieske Nobler , with something like a LA 46 , TT 36 Pro or somesuch .

Plenty round s. h. But a word of warning . Un Fueled , Un Mounted might not have rotten bearings , wrist pin , and rusty crank . Used , particularly R C likely may . 50/50 at best .

60 span , 60 ounce'd be the biggest Id Do . The Stalker Engines arnt bad , if you cant find a NiB S Tigre 60 , A N.I.B. unmarked VF 40/46 is unlikely .
Aero Products in Classifieds injuns aint gunnabee RUSTY . Mate .

The started dropping ST- 60s in Hunt Typwe 46 stuff around 1980 , after the FSR OS's . the 45 is o.k. & the FP good , NEW . Then they went ' V Max ' and the current mega buck US
type AKRO injuns are similar but more exotic . So One Cant Complain . If they havnt been at them with a Disc Grinder . As some you see are . Cant Beat Quality . IF you look after it .

THOUGH Id go for a few cheap and nasty sh*tters , untill your sure you wont plant it , As not much is left , often .

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2023, 08:34:29 PM »
What were some of the model kits you and your dad built back in the day? That could help on picking a kit out.
 You would be surprised what kits have been reproduced and would bring back a lot of good memories.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here