News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eclipse pattern  (Read 1023 times)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Eclipse pattern
« on: April 07, 2024, 11:41:07 AM »
The wind forecast tomorrow looks possible.  I'm thinking to try timing a flight DURING the eclipse tomorrow.  I'm not in the path of totality here but should still get a pretty good look.   Anybody else?

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Eclipse pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 12:36:50 PM »
Eclipse

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 01:13:26 PM »
The wind forecast tomorrow looks possible.  I'm thinking to try timing a flight DURING the eclipse tomorrow.  I'm not in the path of totality here but should still get a pretty good look.   Anybody else?

Dave

In 2017, we were just about in the center of the path of totality, and I took off work and met a couple of other guys at Buder Park and got some flights in leading up to totality and again right after. There were quite a few people in general there last time. St. Louis is on the fringe of the shadow this time, and I'm going to drive to south central Illinois around the Du Qoin, and or Carbondale area to get the full effect. About an hour and a half drive each way.. I just dug out and cleaned up a couple of welding hood to compliment toc heap glasses I bought the other day, in case Momma doesn't want to wear or even hold the helmet up.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 02:32:45 PM »
It looks like we will have about 90% coverage here at 1:54.  Enough light to see the airplane I think.  Going to fly a white ship.  Hope the deer don't decide to come out and run across the circle.  May have to get a tee shirt made "Eclipse Fliers Club".

Dave
AMA 20934

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 04:12:10 PM »
We’re in the path of totality in Dallas and I’m hoping to get my first flights on the airplane during the eclipse. Should be fun!
Matt Colan

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 07:48:47 PM »
We're in the path of totality, but all fields around here are soggy as muck.
It would be neat to string up a bunch of night lights on the plane and fly it DURING the three-and-a-half minutes of totality.

Alas..

Cheers,  H^^
-Andrey
Spice is the variety of life.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 10:11:04 PM »
I think I will cue up a little Pink Floyd while we are watching the "Dark Side of the Moon"....not to be confused with the other side which we won't be seeing.  LL~
Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 10:15:14 PM »
Well I remember the last eclispe.  It got very dark and the dogs didn't know what to do .  I had the glasses to to a look at it.  Also have pictures in my file some where.   Of course humanity may panic when it gets as dark as it was last time. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Matt Neumann

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 04:46:29 AM »
I am smack dab in the middle of the cross hairs.  No flying during that time for sure.  I have to work anyway.  But I doubt if I will be doing anything during that time.
Matt Neumann

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 05:38:46 PM »
Got two flights right after the eclipse. Totality is very dark! Glad I waited. Such a cool experience
Matt Colan

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 05:55:39 PM »
Got a break in the clouds exactly at the 100% point and was able to watch 2 min without glasses.  Awesome.  You could see the solar flares.  Amazing how fast it got light when the full coverage ended.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 06:02:31 PM »
Good on you Matt.  Here it was uneventful.  I got off the mower,  got the lines out and ready and.........Though we had about 90% coverage the effect on the ground was hardly noticeable.   Maybe the light got a little dingy a notch but unless you were looking for it you wouldn't have noticed.   Otherwise a perfect day to fly weather wise.  Got a new Fox Gold .35 broken in for the Lunar I'm building. 

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 06:48:48 PM »
Got a break in the clouds exactly at the 100% point and was able to watch 2 min without glasses.  Awesome.  You could see the solar flares.  Amazing how fast it got light when the full coverage ended.

Ken

Yeah, the sun gods smiled on us today.  I drove from Fort Worth to watch with a friend at White Rock lake.  Fort Worth was on the western edge of the shadow so totality was only two minutes.  Dallas got 4 minutes or a bit more.  It did not look good for most of the morning and early afternoon.  High clouds with low and mid level puffy clouds.  A break in the clouds, right before totality, produced enough of a hole that lasted quite some time so we got the total eclipse without anything getting in the way.  It was my first total solar eclipse.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 07:32:57 PM »
We didn't get any noticeable darkness, so we had a DIY eclipse. It was REALLY good!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 07:47:45 PM »
   I couldn't get my wife to get moving so we could leave between 9 and 9:30. That extra half hour of more would have made a big difference!! it's a bit more than a 2 hour drive from my house to DuQuoin, IL and a few minutes more to Carbondale. Both were in the middle of totality, so not knowing exactly what to expect, I was going to make my decision when we got there, originally intending to be there by noon. Well, we didn't get out of St. Louis until 10am or so. I went basically the same route we always took to the Paducah contest. I had planned to exit I-64 at the IL-51 exit and head right to the Fairgrounds. I had just gotten on I-64 and ran up on a back up before we even got a mile or so. Google maps said it was a slow down expected to last 10 or 15 minutes, which would have been OK. But it was like it kept growing ahead of us and we couldn't get caught up!! We never got over 20MPH at any time and spent a lot of time sitting still. I had forgotten my road atlas or I could have probably found a country road bypass, but it eventually took us 2 hours to go 62 miles!! No traffic going the opposite way!!  I got off at a state highway that had a desperately needed potty stop, and played with google maps and charted a course overland the remaining distance to the Fairgrounds in DuQuoin. There was NO traffic on the county roads and in DuQuoin at all. It made me wonder where all the other people on the Interstate were going?? Got to the Fairgrounds at 1pm on the dot, just as things started to happen. Got settled, got glasses and such out. You can't really see too much lighting change with the sun almost directly over head until you get well past 3/4 coverage. At about that point, we could see the shadow coming our way in the distance. It's nice an flat in southern Illinois and we could see a fair distance  off to the South West. It looked like a storm coming our way, but no clouds in the sky. Totality was more than 4 minutes, but didn't bother to keep exact time. Beautiful corona around the moon!! Stars came out and the wind dropped to zero. About 5 to 7 degree temp drop. It was a really cool thing to see for so long. In 2017, we were not that far off the shadow centerline but the position of the moon was different then and I think it barely lasted 2 minutes. It got much darker this time. No birds flying home to roost in any of the trees. When in totality, you could see a sharp point of light at the bottom of the moon like light was shining through a deep valley. It would have been cool to have gotten a sharp picture of that. We watched for another 30 minutes of so and I was amazed at the number of people that left right after totality!!
   Next we had to find a Burger King. Mama wanted Burger King and the nearest one was 20 miles away to the east in Benton, IL off I-57 . So I figured what the heck, spend an hour or so getting a late lunch and let traffic thin out Left the Fairgrounds at 2:45. Had lunch, and left BK at 3:45 or so. Went to get on northbound I-57 and one lane was closed for repaving, and slow moving traffic. I didn't feel like reversing course and going back 20 miles to the county roads when it was only about 25 or 30 miles or so to the I-57/I-64 interchange and I was thinking it would clear up a bit outside the construction zone. WRONG!! I think the rest of humanity was in the Rend Lake area. Lines and lines of cars at each highway entrance we came to. Again, no traffic going the other way!!! It was almost an exact replay of the trip there. We did pick up and run at the speed limit for a while once on I-64 West bound but we soon got the alert that we were coming to another 40 minute stack up, and who knows what that would turn into. We were close enough to the same IL-127 exit I took on the way there, and this time took it North thinking to link up with I-70 at Greenville. So did a whole lot of other people!! Lots of towns with flashing red lights at the cross roads, that took things to a snails pace again. I bailed off of that at soon as I realized another county road ran into Lebanon, IL and IL-4 Familiar ground to me again, and once I got that far I had it licked. Walked back in my door about 7:10pm after leaving Benton IL at 3:45!!  But it was worth it!!! I saw something naturally spectacular, live and in person that I know I'll never get to see again. If i had to do it all over again I would but this time i would make sure to bring my road atlas, we leave on time, and Mama eats McDonalds whether she likes it or not!!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2024, 01:10:08 AM »
Dan, you're either a very brave man or you've lost your mind if you think MAMA isn't goanna get her BK....  mw~

John Miller H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2024, 12:08:09 PM »
Well I didn't get to see it.  But the memory of the first one is enough.  Now humanity has survived and we can wait for the next one. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2024, 10:37:55 PM »
Well I didn't get to see it.  But the memory of the first one is enough.  Now humanity has survived and we can wait for the next one. D>K

Well the next natural calamity in line is the cicada invasion !! The two different broods are supposed to emerge at the same time. I have been reading all sorts of stuff about it and it leads me to believe that no one knows what they are talking about!!! Local news says it hasn't happened since the 1800 but I know it happened here in St. Louis about 30 some odd years ago , and was especially noisy around the area where Buder Park is! It was deafening and could be heard in a moving vehicle with the windows rolled up!! Only lasts a couple of days but a stinky mess of bug carcasses to dispose of. Most raked them into piles and burned them. Stay tuned!!!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 05:34:24 AM »
On the other side of the coin here, east of Baton Rouge, it was cloudy and in the path of 87% coverage. There wasn't any difference in darkness. I saw the last one.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 07:30:31 AM »
We saw a 99.2% coverage without leaving home.
A black cat came out and out photo electric night lights went on.
I got a pretty good pitcher with my regular camera.  Then a neighbor let me use her official eclipse glasses to get  better one.
Paul Smith

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 10:46:08 PM »

Well the next natural calamity in line is the cicada invasion !! The two different broods are supposed to emerge at the same time.

Interestingly, there are only two periods for cicadas - 13 years and 17 years. I never knew that before this particular incident, but it struck me that those are both prime numbers.

Apparently, it struck other people, too, and the theory I read was that it was odd numbers so that none of the predators could sync up to it by having a fraction of the same cycle that happened to have lots of predators the same year there were lots of cicadas. The idea of them all coming out at once, of course, is so that there are so many of them that the predators (like birds and lizards) couldn't possibly eat them all. But the predators can't have their numbers cycle up and down every 2, 3, 4 ,etc years and then just happen to line up, because prime numbers have no integer divisors.

Of course it's not conscious on their part, presumably they started out at random and only the prime number broods survived. They have been at it for 300 millionish years, long before the dinosaurs, so plenty of time for random luck to pick the ideal solution.

I think in any one place, you are going to get no more than usual for their cycle, but that both of them come out in different places at the same time and that they wil be much more widespread.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 11:12:48 PM »
   Interestingly, there are only two periods for cicadas - 13 years and 17 years. I never knew that before this particular incident, but it struck me that those are both prime numbers.

Apparently, it struck other people, too, and the theory I read was that it was odd numbers so that none of the predators could sync up to it by having a fraction of the same cycle that happened to have lots of predators the same year there were lots of cicadas. The idea of them all coming out at once, of course, is so that there are so many of them that the predators (like birds and lizards) couldn't possibly eat them all. But the predators can't have their numbers cycle up and down every 2, 3, 4 ,etc years and then just happen to line up, because prime numbers have no integer divisors.

Of course it's not conscious on their part, presumably they started out at random and only the prime number broods survived. They have been at it for 300 millionish years, long before the dinosaurs, so plenty of time for random luck to pick the ideal solution.

I think in any one place, you are going to get no more than usual for their cycle, but that both of them come out in different places at the same time and that they wil be much more widespread.

Brett

What year was the outbreak at the Brodak contest? 2010? I know they made special stickers to commemorate the event, but I don't know if it was predicted or expected at that time. The cicada in the photo on the stickers looks like the one that is being put up with most of the news stories. It was pretty spotty and localized and the combined event here 30 some odd years ago. I just can't remember exactly what year. Sean may have been 8 to 10 years old and he's 40 now!!!  I got surprised by it on our way to go fly at Buder one day. Got to a spot between two cliffs on I-270 , had the van windows down, and I thought I was losing every wheel bearing on my van!!  Got to Buder and it was loud but they were not swarming. Several club members at that time lived just North of the Park. On guy said they were horrendous at his house. They didn't live very long and as they died off he had to rake them into piles, then when they started to smell, he just burned down the piles. I live about 25 miles north and we only heard an occasional one, like you do in the evening in the summer time. There were spots across the rive in Illinois also with the loud ruckus but mostly quiet as I remember. But local news has been saying this hasn't happened since the 1800s!! I know I ain't that damn old!! We'll wait and see.
  Type at you later,
 Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 07:21:10 AM »
Have you heard and seen?   Sonny Hostin of the View told her audience, fellow View Mates, and those in TV land that the cause of the Eclipse and Earthquakes is Climate CHange.  I am astounded as I had been informed and read that the cause was celestial mechanics and earth plate tectonics.  But, better yet, Joy Behar and Whoopy Goldberg informed Sonny that Climate Change had nothing to do with it. 

I am confused. Oh what do I do?
Tom McClain

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2024, 08:23:03 AM »
Don't worry the moon is made of mostly gasses.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 08:40:12 AM »
Don't worry the moon is made of mostly gasses.

Sheila Jackson Lee, scholar of our times.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here