News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doctor Paper  (Read 569 times)

Offline Donald Main

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Doctor Paper
« on: March 27, 2023, 04:50:06 PM »
Do you apply doctor paper wet or dry?

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Doctor Paper
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 05:46:48 PM »
Do you apply doctor paper wet or dry?

On open bay wings I apply it wet. WARNING: I've covered several planes using Doctor's or Exam paper. It acts just like Silkspan. However, I've experienced the paper becoming loose (wavy) in the open bays in moist humid conditions.

See the link to Brett Buck's microscope examination between Doctor's paper VS Silkspan at: https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/doctor's-paper-vs-silkspan/msg606690/#msg606690 for further information.

Dennis

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 05:49:35 PM »
      Apply it wet or dry, which ever your prefer. Use it just like you would K&S or any other kind of silk span.

What brand, type of exam paper are you using? What was your source?
  Type at you layer,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 06:27:16 PM »
On open bay wings I apply it wet. WARNING: I've covered several planes using Doctor's or Exam paper. It acts just like Silkspan. However, I've experienced the paper becoming loose (wavy) in the open bays in moist humid conditions.

See the link to Brett Buck's microscope examination between Doctor's paper VS Silkspan at: https://stunthanger.com/smf/paint-and-finishing/doctor's-paper-vs-silkspan/msg606690/#msg606690 for further information.

Dennis

It needs to be remembered that there are about 100 or more different types of exam table paper out there so you have to choose what you are using carefully. It has been discussed extensively and a lot of work has been put into determining what kind is the best to use. There are several threads out  there with a lot of reading material on the subject. I read Bretts thread with great interest, because in checking out the stuff I have , i see nothing like he posted. I don't have a microscope like he has, but used a printer's loop, which gets you in there pretty close, and what I have  doesn't look like his sample. It has a definite grain that passes the simple "tear test" where if you tear into a sheet from the side, the tear will turn to follow the grain and that is 99.9% of the time the length of the roll that it comes off of. If you have sheets of paper that you are not sure, the tear test will tell you, and most of the time you can see it when held up to a light bulb. I've compared mine side by side with bonified OEM K&S silkspan   I have used the Tidi paper I have and it performs just like any other that I have used out of a typical kit. You can soak it in a pam of water, wad it up, grab a corner on each side and shake it and it will fall open flat. Others have used it also with success. Sparky did a video where he covered a test wing section and applied a couple of coats of dope and declared it like the good stuff. The long and the short of it is, you have to make sure you got the correct stuff. and several threads on the forum detailing how guys obtained it and how they used it and their results. You know how most modelers are, if they have a bad experience with some product they will shout it from the roof tops that the product is junk, and I have just not seen that. So the long and the short of it is, make sure you have the correct paterial, do a test if necessary, and carry on. This has all been going on since 2017. It's seemed to perform better that paper obtained from some other model airplane sources when the K&S/SIG supplies ran out.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/butt-tissue-paper-question/

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/world-shortage-of-silkspan-ended-frank-d-nominated-for-'hero-of-the-reich'/

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here