News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you wrap silkspan over wing and elevator joint or do you use a separate piece  (Read 673 times)

Offline paulwells66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Do you wrap silkspan over wing and elevator joint or do you use a separate piece or do you put nothing at all im the joint?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Another question in which you can get as many answers as there are modelers.  Through the years I have done it many ways.  A lot depends on the design.  On full fuselage designs I have even laid fibre glass and resin in side the fuselage extending up on the sides over the joint.  Usually the leading and trailing edge have a joint.  Take a little time and go read through the construction articles of planes.   I-beam wings usually don't have a center section joint  also take apart planes. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline paulwells66

• Lieutenant
just a combat streak where the wing to fuse joint is not perfect..a few little gaps.don't like using filler. thought I would either a) wrap a small piece of silkspan all the way around the joint or b) wrap the piece covering the fuselage side into the seam

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
If you have gaps between wing and fuselage, cut and sand pieces to glue into the joint.  Back in the day I remember kits telling me to lay a strip of cloth along the wing/fuselage joint.  I learned to do it inside the fuse before putting top and bottom sheeting on.  It all takes practice and thought.  It is all called a learning curve.  When I myself stop learning is when I go into the incenterator. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline paulwells66

• Lieutenant
If you have gaps between wing and fuselage, cut and sand pieces to glue into the joint.  Back in the day I remember kits telling me to lay a strip of cloth along the wing/fuselage joint.  I learned to do it inside the fuse before putting top and bottom sheeting on.  It all takes practice and thought.  It is all called a learning curve.  When I myself stop learning is when I go into the incenterator. D>K

I was thinking the same thing as I glued the wing..."boy I should have waited to sheet the top of the fuselage regardless of what the plans say :)

Offline paulwells66

• Lieutenant
Am I confused? You asked about wing and elevator, I assumed you meant stab and elevator. If stab/elevator my answer stands. If wing and fuselage, not sure what you are talking about. Any holes in the wing to fuselage joint, I fill with appropriate size balsa. D>K

talking about both...and referring to using silkspan to make the seam clean and a smooth transition. like a fillet

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here