News:

• May 14, 2024, 09:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you ever get to that point?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Do you ever get to that point?
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm just about to the point now that I just don't care how this model looks. I'm tired of sanding, filling, more sanding, more filling, blah blah blah.... HB~>   I just want it to be done!!

I think I'm heading down to the local Ace Hardware for a gallon of Glidden latex and a 4" brush! VD~
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Do you ever get to that point?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »
Squirt some fuel-proofer on it and get it in the air, that's my motto!
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »
Squirt some fuel-proofer on it and get it in the air, that's my motto!

I that's going to be mine too.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:02:01 PM »
A paint job is never done -Its just abandoned.
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
Clint,  I think I know how you feel.  That is why it has taken so long on the P-39.  Just spent two days sanding and filling.   I think I am ready to spray for the canopy area.  The wife says I have to finish it before I start another plane.  I too love to build, but, do not like finishing.  Any way I listened to some tapes I hadn't listened to for awhile.  Good ole Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and a few others.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »
Clint,

While it's gratifying to just be done with the thing, trust me, you'll hate yourself later if you don't put in the best effort you can. It always seems the ones I skimp on and do the "I just want it done" thing are always the planes that fly great and I regret not taking the time to do it right.

Just take a deep breath and say to yourself, "it will be done when it's done and not before".
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »
Clint,

While it's gratifying to just be done with the thing, trust me, you'll hate yourself later if you don't put in the best effort you can. It always seems the ones I skimp on and do the "I just want it done" thing are always the planes that fly great and I regret not taking the time to do it right.

Just take a deep breath and say to yourself, "it will be done when it's done and not before".

Thanks for that, Randy. I'm chugging along. This is taking alot more time than my Rustoleum finishes.

Doc, I've listened to every theatre organ CD that I own. Twice!
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 03:55:15 PM »
Clint,

Yea, I sometimes in the middle of a finish job, usually when I'm endless sanding primer, that man, I should have just shrink wrapped the thing. I'd be way done by now.

Then, along about the time I pull tape on the first trim color I think, wow, that looks cool. Then it's pretty easy to stay on task until the end.

I sympathize. I'm just recovering my classic Cobra now and not really looking forward to shooting primer and sanding, and sanding, and sanding, ad nausium. But hey, the price we pay for a slick looking plane. Nothing worse than rushing a finish and then, later, stripping it off and starting over. Takes intestinal fortitude, that.   HB~>
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »
Over the years my dad has stained and finished the inside trim, including cabinets, on many houses. I've helped him on a few.  In the 70s and early 80s in this part of the country that meant sanding the wood then hand rubbing the stain.  Then there was at least one coat of sanding sealer and at least two coats of lacquer with sanding in between -- much of it done by hand. 

My point is that when you get a little tired of the sanding and finishing you can just think "Man, I'm glad I'm not having to sand a whole house."

When it comes to appearance,  I knew two retired couples who decided to make woodcraft items to sell in flea markets, craft fairs and on other occasions.  Both couples decided that the husband would do the building and the wife would do the finishing. One of the husbands did exceptional woodwork, but his wife wasn't a good finisher.  The other wife was a talented finisher even though her husbands work was ok but nothing special.  Guess who's stuff sold better.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Charlie Pate

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »
Clint!
 When you feel like you gotta!-----------Don,t
 The thrash mode is seldom productive and often expensive
 The Go or blow mode -- usually produces ---Blow.
 Do it when you have time ,don,t make time;you will enjoy it more and get better results.
 Don,t work on it while visualizing you flying a 580 pattern.

Hoe do I know all this? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh----------- Bill Little told me.(liar ,liar ,pants on fire)    VD~

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
Guys, I probably should keep my mouth shut here, but I just can't.  My profession is building custom electric guitars and basses and by the time I use twenty pounds of sandpaper every two months there is no way I'm going to abandon my Monokote for something that is supposed to be fun!
I paint the fuse on my stunters only because I get better fuel proofing at the wing/fuse joint and in the engine compartment.  So it comes down to this - evry one to his own thing as long as you enjoy the hobby/sport!  There's no right way and no wrong way, only each individual's way.
Blessings,
Will

Okay, come & get me guys. j1
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »
I don't think anybody is "come get you" for that comment, Will. It makes sense.
This is just the first time I'm going for the Expert finish. I know it would take longer than my normal way, but good grief. It's taking forever.
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:08:38 AM »
Clint,
I must confess that I'm building a new Ephesian with plans to paint the beast.  I know the time thing is a pain, but at least you are in the right time of year with your finishing - I used to end up finishing the paint job in June with hopes of trimming successfully before the nats.  Duh.
I decided to paint the new ship only because I have two very good flying stunters and can take two, three, or however many years to finish it barring any major brain fades by me while flying the pattern!
Have fun no matter what!   #^
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 09:36:07 AM »
Hey, people work at their own pace. Generally, for me anyway, from drawing lines on paper to rubbing out a new finish, it's maybe 4 to 6 months depending on how involved I got with the design or finish or whatever and how many "honey dos" intervene. That's working on it an average of 2 hours a day (in actuality, it's probably 6-8 hrs over a weekend and maybe an hour 3 or 4 nights a week - about the pace I tend to work). Howard Rush has been working on his new Impact for about 6 years. He's finally up to base color. We expect to see it at a contest next season ... or perhaps the season after that. Maybe.

Pat Johnston can kick out a new Pat designed, full boogie stunter in about 2 months with a gorgeous finish. He spends a LOT of time in the shop because he enjoys it. Just sort of depends on how you work. The big key is to only do what you feel like doing in any building session. Only work on it as much as you want to. When you start pressing because you somehow feel that it "has to get done", that's when you start shortcutting things and doing the "that's good enough" work. Just take your time, work at the pace you enjoy and it will be done when it's done. Will Hinton is right. This is supposed to be enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Hand

• Exemplary Stunt Planes
  • Lieutenant
  • Ain't it fun?
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »
This probably the most relaxing thing I do. I really enjoy seeing the kit come together and the form taking shape. When it gets down to the finish, that's when it becomes a real personable item. My color choices, my schematic, details ad-infinitum if I want. Being a musician all my life has influenced my hobby. I'm sure Allen B. would agree.
Steve

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
My excuse is the weather. We get reasonbly cold weather in Oregon but mostly we get humidity. Of course you can still sand, but why. After you are done sanding you still can't paint. This is a lifesize delema that I have yet to concour.Randy I need your counceling. HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »
  My excuse is I don't like to finish.  I have several built models that may never see the sky. I have a tendency to build something then when I hit the finishing stage the  plane goes into storage and I start another.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here