News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:41:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Designs, "new" planes etc.  (Read 14174 times)

Offline John Ashford

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Designs, "new" planes etc.
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:59:54 AM »
Good morning boys and girls,

I don't often post or comment about anything on the forums anymore but the thread about Brad Walker's T-Rex certainly caught my attention. I'll say right up front that I know Brad and honestly we aren't best of friends. That does not however detract from my respect for his dedication to doing it better and taking the time to post and write about his efforts. H^^

Are there any "new" designs?  Certainly from an apperance and paint scheme standpoint there have been several over the years. Remember the "Jet age" of design? Are these new?  The laws of physics and aerodynamics are set in stone and have been for centuries but our understanding of these principals has greatly increased in the 20th century and is continuing to do so.

Look at the automotive industry.  Up to the 1990's even an old duffer like me could spot a Ford, Chevy etc from a block away. Today when driving down the street, I can't tell a Lexus from a Galaxie.  Why? because the demands of performance and fuel efficiency are dictating the design and they are all very similar.

I design my own planes and prefer to fly these in contest but I have never had the capacity or the the time to pursue being a NATs calibur pilot.  The only reason that anyones even knows I exist is because of my writing for magazines for the past 8-9 years. I am currently flying the Shady Lady in Classic and PA. I designed this plane in my early 20's and it darn sure isn't "original".  I took the average measurments from  planes that at the time were in the hunt for top honors at the NATs.  Palmer's Smoothie, Hurricane.  Les McDonalds Shark 35, Ed Southwick's Skylark and of course George's Nobler.

Here is what I stole.  The wing is the Shark 35 with the tips turned around.  The "numbers" are an average of all the above planes moments and just FYI, if you go measure your's, you will find there is no more than a 1/4" difference in all of the above.  That average by the way is 14 5/8ths between hinge lines.  The Lady's profile was just drawn on a piece freezer paper but the side area numbers are from the Nobler. Now that begs the question.  Did I design the Lady? Is it a NATs "contest proven" winner? No.  I did however manage to win Classic and PA Intermediate with the Lady at the Brodak contest and another of my designs had the highest single flight score in Profile 40.

Point of this rambling is that there are some very good designers, inovators and builders out there that no one has ever heard of on the national scene. The top 20 guys at the NATs design, build and are certainly pushing the envelope.  I have seen the T-Rex fly and Brad is a proficient pilot. If I flew large planes I would be first in line to purchace a kit.

Have a good one.   Later,   John

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Designs, "new" planes etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »
I think Brads point was what you stated also John, in that there are really no real designs - the numbers are all taken from proven airplanes, as are the airfoils etc
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:14:45 PM »
John,
Sorry but I can't take credit for the "Shark 35".
That great little plane was designed by Lew McFarland as were all the "Sharks".
Thanks once again for "Beware The Knights" in Control Line World.

Les McDonald

I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
Here's one that doesn't use the numbers from a bunch of previous models:
phil Cartier

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
The problem I have with the premise that designing a stunt ship is merely copying every one elses numbers and putting a "dress" on it is just that,,
You cannot grab the wing numbers from one plane and randomly combine a bunch of parts without understanding how they interact. Well I guess you can, but the act of DESIGNING isnt about breaking new ground, its about making the end result do what YOU want it to. and to that end, there is a  lot more to designing a stunt ship than just copying someone elses numbers. Now the comment is valid if you take a Nobler kit, put a different top block and tips on it, then you are not designing you are "kit bashing" and thats fine too, it still creates your own identity.
Designing is taking what you know, and manipulating it to achieve a desired result.
I am an Advanced class flier, but I design all my own planes. So far they have been pretty succsessful at least in my eyes..
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
Mark has a point. The design, execution, finish and presentation are all an extension of the builder. I just designed a new plane that I am now finishing. I suppose if one measured it you could say that it's using numbers similar to this plane or that. But that's not how it got designed. I took factors that had been working for me and combined them to try to get a certain effect. I knew what I wanted to get to and tried to design a plane that did that.

When I go to a contest, I can usually tell you whose plane is whose, not by the AMA number or whatever, but just looking at the plane (at least for the guys that fly in local contests regularly. The plane usually expresses the builder that built it. That's often true even with a kit built plane. I'd know a Pete Peterson or Paul Walker or Mark Scarborough plane from across the field even if I'd never seen it before. They are expressions of the person.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
This one is definitely not a knockoff of any stunt model. John Northrop designed it and when shrunk to model size make a very nice flying airplane. The famous SBD Dauntless. About the only change from scale was reducing the the horizontal tail area to 22% and a bit less dihedral to keep the leadouts at the right vertical position. Flies very much like my '59 "T" Bird. If one were to measure out all the dimensions, it would probably come out quite close to the "T" Bird.
Don

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
<They are expressions of the person.>
Good point Randy,

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT"
                                                               Norman Rockwell
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Online dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
"Lawndart", "Schwarmdart!" Everything is a "Lawndart" these days! Even my "Madman", given to me by Don Hutchinson, is a "Lawndart". At  Tulsa's recent contest, the motor, once again improperly fueled by someone, quit unexpectedly and went straight into the ground from the top of the hemisphere. Stuck pretty good, too, in the soft earth, made that way by plentiful rains. Being lightweight, no damage was done except to a prop and an ego.

dg

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
I wasn't aware that this had anything to do with ARFs. Guys that fly ARFs, do so for their own reasons.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
The mission dictates the parameters when designing anything.

Since we are talking about aerobatic aircraft, there are certain limits, or perhaps numbers, that every successful aerobatic design will fall within.

There are "numbers" that rule for non-flapped, flapped, low wing, mid wing, high wing, flying wing, delta wing, straight wing, swept wing, multiple wing, single engine, multi.... ad nauseum.

Where the fun begins, for the designer, is to combine different elements into a unique planform. To be successful, it's the designers job to figure how the numbers will  have to be manipulated, as the combinations approach the extreme edges of the envelope, and still result in a great flying aircraft.

So, it's probably true that all airplanes are copies of an earlier successful one, perhaps combined more unique than others, or more pleasing in shape, but, it's my opinion that all are going to fall within the "numbers".  H^^

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »

Case in point:  Here's another aircraft designed by John Ashford.   It probably  is within the "numbers" , but still, the airplane is refreshingly different,
and not a "Bashing " of some other design or kit.  It is truly an original that,  by the way, performs the pattern eloquently and effortlessly.  It is the best
airplane I have ever flown.  I'm doing this bird again in electric.  And I'm sticking to my story!

Will Moore

Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
The mission dictates the parameters when designing anything.

Since we are talking about aerobatic aircraft, there are certain limits, or perhaps numbers, that every successful aerobatic design will fall within.

There are "numbers" that rule for non-flapped, flapped, low wing, mid wing, high wing, flying wing, delta wing, straight wing, swept wing, multiple wing, single engine, multi.... ad nauseum.

Where the fun begins, for the designer, is to combine different elements into a unique planform. To be successful, it's the designers job to figure how the numbers will  have to be manipulated, as the combinations approach the extreme edges of the envelope, and still result in a great flying aircraft.

So, it's probably true that all airplanes are copies of an earlier successful one, perhaps combined more unique than others, or more pleasing in shape, but, it's my opinion that all are going to fall within the "numbers".  H^^

This is an example of my "first try" at my own CLPA design. It does have a "borrowed airfoil," but the rest was inspiration, imagination and observation. I'm planning a second attempt at the same design. This time focusing on wood weight, finish weight and most of all "analyzed recommendations" by "observant pros."
Mandatory reading related to this subject..."The Stiletto Chronicles" by Les McDonald, SN Sept/OCT 2009
Norm  H^^
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »

I don't often post or comment about anything on the forums anymore but the thread about Brad Walker's T-Rex certainly caught my attention. I'll say right up front that I know Brad and honestly we aren't best of friends. That does not however detract from my respect for his dedication to doing it better and taking the time to post and write about his efforts. H^^

Are there any "new" designs?  Certainly from an apperance and paint scheme standpoint there have been several over the years. Remember the "Jet age" of design? Are these new?  The laws of physics and aerodynamics are set in stone and have been for centuries but our understanding of these principals has greatly increased in the 20th century and is continuing to do so.

Look at the automotive industry.  Up to the 1990's even an old duffer like me could spot a Ford, Chevy etc from a block away. Today when driving down the street, I can't tell a Lexus from a Galaxie.  Why? because the demands of performance and fuel efficiency are dictating the design and they are all very similar.

I design my own planes and prefer to fly these in contest but I have never had the capacity or the the time to pursue being a NATs calibur pilot.  The only reason that anyones even knows I exist is because of my writing for magazines for the past 8-9 years. I am currently flying the Shady Lady in Classic and PA. I designed this plane in my early 20's and it darn sure isn't "original".  I took the average measurments from  planes that at the time were in the hunt for top honors at the NATs.  Palmer's Smoothie, Hurricane.  Les McDonalds Shark 35, Ed Southwick's Skylark and of course George's Nobler.

Here is what I stole.  The wing is the Shark 35 with the tips turned around.  The "numbers" are an average of all the above planes moments and just FYI, if you go measure your's, you will find there is no more than a 1/4" difference in all of the above.  That average by the way is 14 5/8ths between hinge lines.  The Lady's profile was just drawn on a piece freezer paper but the side area numbers are from the Nobler. Now that begs the question.  Did I design the Lady? Is it a NATs "contest proven" winner? No.  I did however manage to win Classic and PA Intermediate with the Lady at the Brodak contest and another of my designs had the highest single flight score in Profile 40.

Point of this rambling is that there are some very good designers, inovators and builders out there that no one has ever heard of on the national scene. The top 20 guys at the NATs design, build and are certainly pushing the envelope.  I have seen the T-Rex fly and Brad is a proficient pilot. If I flew large planes I would be first in line to purchace a kit.

Have a good one.   Later,   John

I don't think stunt design has gone as far as it can go.  Combining "numbers" of existing airplanes will only get you so far, and will only result in a winner if you fiddle with the airplane extensively to get the details right.  This also requires knowing which way to go with the fiddling.  My own attempts at it have shown that, for example, a tenth of an inch of flap chord can render a winning airplane borderline untrimmable. 

I would look for improvements in:

1. sensitivity to maneuver placement relative to wind direction

2. sensitivity to turbulence in roll

3. sensitivity to turbulence in pitch

4. airplane optimization for electric power. 

5. trim sensitivity with weather conditions

6. compatibility with air transportation to contests

1, 2: Combat models have evolved significantly in maneuver placement sensitivity in the last 30 years.  The rectangular dog that won combat at the 1970 Nats was OK flying downwind against others of its kind, but it couldn't handle anything upwind in more than a slight breeze.  Gary James, Henry Nelson, and--most successfully-- the Eastern Europeans came up with planforms that had a lot less negative (if I got the sign right) rolling moment due to sideslip, and these now prevail.  The guy who flew the rectangular airplane in 1970 was able to win matches in the 1984 and 1990 world champs by leading his opponent upwind, where he by then had the advantage.  Stunt planes don't suffer so much from wind direction because the flier gets to pick where he does his maneuvers.  It would be nice if one’s airplane cooperated when he places his maneuvers in front of the judges after a wind shift.  Forward sweep can help with number 1 above, and taper can help with both numbers 1 and 2, but either is hard to change without sweeping the flap hinge line forward, which seems to do bad things.  Rather than change the airplane’s aerodynamic yaw response, why not let the airplane yaw to reduce sideslip?  Hint for designers: why does the leadout moment arm need to be the same in yaw and roll?

3: For a given airplane turn radius, you want to minimize the response of turn radius to turbulence.  I’d look for airfoil improvement, including flaps.  The higher the max lift coefficient the better, and the lower the lift curve slope the better.  Hints for designers:  how do the Beringers’ flaps work?  How can you get the Tu-144 canard’s lift curve slope in a symmetrical airplane?

4: Now that we allow electrics to compete, internal combustion engines are obsolete.  You can electrify a Nobler or a Max II and have a pretty good stunt plane, but how are airplanes compromised for engines that they need not be for electrics?  Beats me, but I’m impressed by Dennis Adamisin’s airplane and by stuff going on in my neighborhood. 

5: Trimming is one of the things that stunt winners really know how to do.  The ability of the top dogs to know when your leadout position is an eighth of an inch off or your tip weight is a gram off is just amazing to me.  If you are designing an airplane to be trimmed by a duffer like me, it would be cool if you could make it insensitive to trim or to conditions that could require trim changes.  How does the Yatsenko Shark get away without adjustable leadouts? 

6: This isn’t a big deal for most of us, but for guys who make the US team or a guy whose wife has a lot of frequent-flier points, it is.  Airlines are much more restrictive now than in the past.  Now it is difficult to get away with a take-apart airplane with a one-piece wing.  The Eastern Europeans have been putting their stunters into small boxes for years.  Now Uncle Jimby wants an airplane he can carry on.  There’s a design problem for you.  Hush, Larry R. 
I am particularly interested in the first four above.  I think those are the ones that will help my score.  Design away.  However, before I commit to hundreds of hours of work, hundreds of dollars worth of paint, and thousands of dollars of contest travel costs, I think I’ll pick a design by somebody who has proven to me that he knows what he’s doing and try to suppress my urge to add originality. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »
Howard,

Spoken like a true engineer.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:13 PM »
"I think I’ll pick a design by somebody who has proven to me that he knows what he’s doing and try to suppress my urge to add originality." 

Hi Howard, correct me if I'm wrong...The "servo tabs" on the flaps of your Impact...add to the originality??  ;D  In agreement; it's hard not to use proved numbers...My class today, pointed out the similarity of the Columbia (now being built by Cessna) and the Cirrus.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »
They add to the originality, and the extra flap chord I added to compensate for them require the airplane to fly with a way-aft CG.  This isn't as bad as the first stunter I built.  I grudgingly followed the plans, but drew the line on flying with a newfangled handle.  I insisted on my Hot Rock.  The cable fatigued and broke, annihilating my stunt plane.   
The Jive Combat Team

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 06:30:10 AM »
I believe Howard has given designers a very good target to shoot for. what he's done is analysed what he feels are desirable traits, and issued a challenge to accomplish the goals.

A satisfying design can indeed go looking at new ground to cover, or, as in many cases, re-package a set of numbers to be more asthetically desirable to the pilot.

Still, fisics is physics, and there are rules that will govern the design, based on the mission.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
 I have ECL fever. This will change how I practice, design, etc.. Now that the airplane CG will remain constant throughout each flight, doing multiple repetitions of maneuvers is possible without the quality of the run changing either. I can practice nothing but square eights for example and more easily get repeatable results and more easily make trim changes since one of the variables is no longer variable.

If Brett and Teds info on the ever better flying Tucker with each addition of weight about the CG, within reason, is true, an airplane with the center of mass on or about the CG should be possible. Therefore it should be possible to design an airplane that turns on a dime,with more than adequate controlled power, and also well under the normal weights we have come to accept as good to normal.  Also, the Gialdini barbell effect will be less apparent without the barbell in the nose.

While I intend a retrofit ECL for next season, I definitely plan a new design once I see first hand what the possibilities truly are. Man am I fired up! Its been awhile! #^

Offline John Ashford

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
Well,  I'm going to jump back in here.  I'm not sure I expressed my self clearly in my post.

The point I was trying to make is that (as many of you have pointed out) the numbers are all going to fall within certain parameters.  We are trying to build better performing Stunt ships and the design, engineering, construction techniques etc are all a part of the process. The advances in materials, power trains and methods of construction have changed dramatically since I started building in the mid fifty's.

Probably the best way I can explain my point is a costumer that wants a Palmer Hurricane. BUT He wants a 4" Bellcrank, Ball link adjustable controls and power it with a PA or RO-Jett .40.  He wants it to weigh no more than 45 ozs and he is going to run an 11" prop.  Well that's all well and good but the Hurricane was built with Fox .35 for power turning a 10" prop.  Controls were 3/32nd music wire with no adjustment.  3" Veco Bell crank.  No adjustable leadouts or tip weight box.  Although I've been able to achieve the customer's goals, internally, the plane bears no resemblance to the original Palmer Hurricane.  From outside the circle or on the flight line it looks like the original.

Fast forward: Will Moore called me and wanted a "different" plane.  His specs:  Saito .62 for power, SV-22 wing and no more than 70 ozs RTF weight. That's cool but Randy's SV-22 is powered by 2 cycle .65's or similar.  The Saito is a four stroke and weighs 6-7ozs more than the 2 stroke.  The four strokes also run better in a side mount than a conventional upright or inverted mount.  I used the SV-22 wing but changed the shape of the tips to get the "look" Will wanted.  I'm not going into all of the construction techniques and things I had to do to achieve Will's specifications.  Delivered to Will, it weighed 68.5 ozs RTF. Will has posted pictures in this thread and also made comments about the plane and its performance. I don't care to add anything.

I do have a question.  Is the Thunder Cloud a "kit bashed" SV-22?  Will the electric version "Thunder Storm" which I am currently in process of working on be a "kit bashed" SV-22?  

The Power train for the T-Cloud weighs 19 ozs.  The Power train for the Storm weighs 30 ozs.  Target RTF weight is 70 ozs and I believe I can achieve that finished weight but the construction is entirely different from the T-Cloud even though setting on the line or in the air they will be virtually identical.

Later,  John

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »
Nice post John,

Let me take a minute to explain my opinion about "numbers", because it may answer your last question.

The numbers are the parameters that allow a design to perform it's intended flight regimen within acceptable limits. No one design owns the numbers.

Any capable design will fall within the numbers however.

It's the physics of flight and the intended mission, that shape the numbers used.

I cannot patent the airplane, even if I design one that looks soo radical that it stretches the definition, because all heavier than air flying machines share the same numbers.

Therefore, your new design is exactly that, a new design. You are sharing the numbers, but so are every other design out there.

How you execute and order the numbers is the design process.

So, though you cannot patent your design, you can copyrite it. The patent office recognizes that all aircraft have many of the same numbers, but the presentation, within the numbers, is art.

Now, I'm not trying to hijack the thread with the above, rather, I'm recognising the commonality of the numbers while recognizing the art of design.  H^^

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »
"Any capable design will fall within the numbers however."

I would rather put it, "Anybody can make a capable 'design' by copying the 'numbers'."  Unless one is just plain lucky, to do better requires either an understanding of the physics or a heck of a lot of experimenting.  The Wright Brothers were particularly impressive because they both did the experimenting and understood the physics, the latter being really impressive because they had to ferret out the truth from the vast amount of extant hogwash.

Curiously, a lot of the "design" that goes on in full-scale airplane factories is equivalent to what we do with stunt plane "numbers".  A couple of pictures of a stunt plane were once included in a presentation to design bosses in one such factory to try to shame them into coming up to the stunt plane's level of analytical sophistication.  It didn't work.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »

I would look for improvements in:

1. sensitivity to maneuver placement relative to wind direction

2. sensitivity to turbulence in roll

3. sensitivity to turbulence in pitch

4. airplane optimization for electric power. 

5. trim sensitivity with weather conditions

Hmmmm.  There are still a few NACA NASA Langley types in our club.  I wish I'd been flying stunt, and had a list like this, when the late Hewitt was still active with the free flight guys.  I bet he would have had some ideas.  There is another guy, ancient but still active, who already has some ideas, this I know because he completely went off on the Baron Avanti wingtips during a club bull session when I was showing some plans to the crew.  I think the Brainbusters put alot of their considerable mental horesepower toward free flight, but little if any toward stunt, though maybe they have a few crumbs of knowledge left to give before they all pass on.  Of course, then the problem becomes building test planes...

4: Now that we allow electrics to compete, internal combustion engines are obsolete... 

This scares me, albeit you're probably correct.  It begs the larger question, is stunt to become more like F-1, or Nascar with its deliberate "primitive" nature.

Steve

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »

4: Now that we allow electrics to compete, internal combustion engines are obsolete...  

This scares me, albeit you're probably correct.  It begs the larger question, is stunt to become more like F-1, or Nascar with its deliberate "primitive" nature.

I think the model and its power system can LOSE a contest for ya but it cannot win it.  In 1979 Bob Gieseke won the NATs in the wind with a Fox 35 powered Nobler.  This was LONG after the Fox had been made obsolete but the Max 35 which had in turn been obsolesced by ST 46 which was already (by 79) hearing footsteps from numerous schnuerles and big bore engines...  But an obsolete design powered by an obsolete engine did not stop Bob from winning against .

As much as I have commited to ECL, I do not see it as an either/or overwhelming path to world domination - yet!   I think that (especially for a newbie) it is easier to set-up an ECL than it is to learn how to run and finesse a wet power system.  Thus electrics may lead to more people flying better sooner because of fewer lost flights on the practice field.

Just like the Nobler evolved to match the capabilities of the changing power systems, electric designs will (I think) take a tangent to the design path we see today.  The "numbers" will sort-of change, but when you compare a good electric to its IC conunterpart they will be more alike than they are different.  Each will have some specialization; matching & optimising the total system will remain important, but that is not a new news.  The winner of the NATs will likely always be someone who has good dependable equipment, gets a lot of practice with good coaching, and yes a little bit of good luck.

In terms of numbers, ECL is hardly a blip (a few entries at the NATs, NONE at the Tean Trials) and while that will likely change, I think we will continue to see darned good IC engines and airplanes - and top competitors flying them - for a very long time.

I think Howard's Item 6 will become more important element of desgin than it is now - so we can haul our birds around in something smaller and cheper to feed than what most of us drive today.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »
 A couple of pictures of a stunt plane were once included in a presentation to design bosses in one such factory to try to shame them into coming up to the stunt plane's level of analytical sophistication.  It didn't work.

Could it of been?...Nah!...Maybe?...I've have heard stories.   ;D
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »
I don't often post or comment about anything on the forums anymore but the thread about Brad Walker's T-Rex certainly caught my attention. I'll say right up front that I know Brad and honestly we aren't best of friends.

If that means I have never even spoken to you, that would be true...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »
""4: Now that we allow electrics to compete, internal combustion engines are obsolete.  You can electrify a Nobler or a Max II and have a pretty good stunt plane, but how are airplanes compromised for engines that they need not be for electrics?  Beats me, but I’m impressed by Dennis Adamisin’s airplane and by stuff going on in my ""neighborhood. "'
""

The above is laughable and a complete JOKE, there will be people using IC motors for many many years to come, and Winning with them, IC motors are indeed NOT obsolete , and people will be enjoying them for sport and competition for a long time to come

Regards
Randy Smith

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
"The above is laughable and a complete JOKE, there will be people using IC motors for many many years to come, and Winning with them, IC motors are indeed NOT obsolete , and people will be enjoying them for sport and competition for a long time to come"

I strongly agree! I have seen many electrics fly and I am not impressed....with any of them!

I also like the smell of fuel burning in the AM!

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »
"I also like the smell of fuel burning in the AM!"

AMEN Derek!  But I am probably going to try out electric in the P-40 I won here on stunthangar.  What does have electric appeal to me is that there are no wasted flights, you have the same RPM every flight, but the noise is not something that appeals to me, I'd rather hear a PA 65 than an AXI 28-26 (is that right?).

Well next year or the year after, I'll see if there is any difference I feel between electric and I/C.  I am as of now, still a glow fan because you can make a flight exciting with a wrong needle setting,  and you just can't beat the sound.

Matt Colan

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »

The above is laughable and a complete JOKE, there will be people using IC motors for many many years to come, and Winning with them, IC motors are indeed NOT obsolete , and people will be enjoying them for sport and competition for a long time to come

Regards
Randy Smith

Me joke?  Surely you jest.  Look for more jokes where that one came from.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 08:02:17 PM »
"The above is laughable and a complete JOKE, there will be people using IC motors for many many years to come, and Winning with them, IC motors are indeed NOT obsolete , and people will be enjoying them for sport and competition for a long time to come"

I strongly agree! I have seen many electrics fly and I am not impressed....with any of them!

I also like the smell of fuel burning in the AM!

Hi Derek

We here at Aero are in process of making a dual fuel, for both IC and Electric, ...Napalm....  hmmmm maybe we can work this into some serious combat ships to!!

More on this later   ;D

Randy
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:37:24 PM by RandySmith »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 08:07:34 PM »
Me joke?  Surely you jest.  Look for more jokes where that one came from.

Howard... too many just take you serious at all times... maybe you need to don that  clown outfit when you entertaining us  ;D

...more serious products to come soon....  napalm optional  >:D

Randy  ~>
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:38:07 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 10:30:43 PM »
Being a user of "glow engines," I have to say that the electric stunter I had the opportunity to launch and see compete, was nothing less than impressive. The thrust that the equivalent .60 size motor produced, startled me.
The plane is a self designed ship, the motor was programed with a lap top (I'm probably making comments about  electrics that many are aware of, however this was all new to me) to power-up in the right portion of the maneuvers.
I believe electrics will soon find their place. You will soon see viable electric "full scales" also.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 05:46:38 AM »
"Being a user of "glow engines," I have to say that the electric stunter I had the opportunity to launch and see compete, was nothing less than impressive. The thrust that the equivalent .60 size motor produced, startled me.
The plane is a self designed ship, the motor was programed with a lap top (I'm probably making comments about  electrics that many are aware of, however this was all new to me) to power-up in the right portion of the maneuvers.
I believe electrics will soon find their place. You will soon see viable electric "full scales" also."

The first time I saw an electric fly I thought they might be the way of the future too, but after seeing batteries burn up and people having to have so many of them to be able to fly consecutive flights it just seems like a lot of money to spend with not so great results. I also don't feel that their power is equal to IC engines yet. I will probably catch hell for this but The ONLY time I ever beet Paul Walker he was flying an electric!

Offline John Ashford

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 07:18:45 AM »
This is in response to Bradley Walker's post #25.

Mr. Walker,  My sincere apologies.  I thought you were the Brad Walker from the Dallas area. That gentleman I met many years ago while working on a plane at Bill Wilson's shop in Ft. Worth, TX.  I have launched for him at Dallas contests and spoken to him many times over the past eight years or so.  As you have never met or spoken to me then I obviously have you confused with another Bradley Walker.

T-Rex is a good looking plane and I am actually building one for a customer as we speak.  Please excuse my confusion.

Later,  John

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 09:17:18 AM »
Take it easy John, as he is probably like me.  Meeting so many people.  He probably doesn't remember the time at Hobby Park when sat in the vehicle waiting for the light rain to pass.  DOC Holliday

PS: It is amazing that someone could ever forget you.  You still have the lawn dart from your first VSC? jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 12:00:55 PM »
This is in response to Bradley Walker's post #25.

Mr. Walker,  My sincere apologies.  I thought you were the Brad Walker from the Dallas area. That gentleman I met many years ago while working on a plane at Bill Wilson's shop in Ft. Worth, TX.  I have launched for him at Dallas contests and spoken to him many times over the past eight years or so.  As you have never met or spoken to me then I obviously have you confused with another Bradley Walker.

T-Rex is a good looking plane and I am actually building one for a customer as we speak.  Please excuse my confusion.

Later,  John

I do remember you being at Bill's shop once several years ago, and I have seen you at contests.  I know who you are. 

Hey John, maybe I mis-read what you said...  Things can get confusing on these boards. 

I don't often post or comment about anything on the forums anymore but the thread about Brad Walker's T-Rex certainly caught my attention. I'll say right up front that I know Brad and honestly we aren't best of friends. That does not however detract from my respect for his dedication to doing it better and taking the time to post and write about his efforts.

It sure sounded like you were saying that you have a beef with me?  Maybe that was not your intention.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
"but after seeing batteries burn up and people having to have so many of them to be able to fly consecutive flights."

Hi Derek, The young fellow flying the electric I was referring to, takes two batteries to the field, charges one while he flies with the other one. The batteries generate very little heat during the flight. I attribute this to his design. (cooling) As far as the power...compared to an equal ICE/.60...IMHO...This guy's rig has a "Kick Butt" power plant and flies the pattern extremely well.  H^^

Jason...If you are out there, please chime in here and help me out.
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 05:54:57 AM »
"Hi Derek, The young fellow flying the electric I was referring to, takes two batteries to the field, charges one while he flies with the other one. The batteries generate very little heat during the flight. I attribute this to his design. (cooling) As far as the power...compared to an equal ICE/.60...IMHO...This guy's rig has a "Kick Butt" power plant and flies the pattern extremely well"

That is great, I am not trying to put down anybody's system just stating my opinion that's all. I am sure that his rig works fine for him or he would not use it.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
On electrics. I've watched Paul Walker fly his setup. It works really, really well. Flight after flight. Using a good electric system takes one part out of the equation. You no longer have to worry about engine run. That's not to say that the system is superior. But it is more consistent. There is no question there. None. If I had $1500-$2500 to lay out for a complete setup, I'd probably be trying it. Having said that; I like the sound of an IC engine, the smell of the castor oil burning and the overall feeling of using IC engines.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
"Using a good electric system takes one part out of the equation. You no longer have to worry about engine run."

uhmm NO, not true.
 I used an IC motor in my Dreadnought for 9 contest years with near ZERO problems, just flip and fly, The IC in my current plane is much the same.
 You can have issues with "any" power system. I sell Electric setups batteries ESCs  timers etc. I have seen electric motors burn up, electric motors shed the magnets, electric motors kill their bearings, electric motors wear out after 50 flights, Batteries burn up, batteries swell, batteries that flew out of the airplane, batteries that go extinct after a short time, there has been switches that short out, switches that burn up, ESCs that short or no longer work for whatever reason, timers that short or quit for whatever reason, I can go on forever with problems you can have, and many will have them
The bottom line is you can have problems with "any" engine-motor setup IC or Elec. There is no perfect system and electric does not take"all" of the problems out of the equation

Regards
Randy

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »

The bottom line is you can have problems with "any" engine-motor setup IC or Elec. There is no perfect system and electric does not take"all" of the problems out of the equation

Regards
Randy

The grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, but it may snag your wheels and flip your airplane over.

Not too good a metaphor.  How about:

Some guys may want to exchange their women for quieter ones that don't smell, but the transition is expensive and the new ones may turn out even heavier. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »
I sell Electric setups batteries ESCs  timers etc.

Just don't quit making Kodachrome.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51:30 AM »
""Not too good a metaphor.  How about:

Some guys may want to exchange their women for quieter ones that don't smell, but the transition is expensive and the new ones may turn out even heavier.""

LL~  Howard  we can always count on you. ;D...I don't think i'm gonna  touch that one.. ;D

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:11 PM »
Just don't quit making Kodachrome.

Too late!  all thats left is Fujichrome...
Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »
RAndy,

I still think that from a consistency standpoint, electrics are superior. They are not particularly effected by atmospheric pressure, humidity, heat or cold. There are no fuel issues. They run the same, flight after flight. Now, this can be mostly true if you have a good IC setup. Mostly. But rather constant changes have to be made to maintain a good setup in changing conditions. Not so much with electrics. Now, this is all based on my observation, not my experience. I have no real experience apart from a couple of flights on an electric powered setup.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »
RAndy,

I still think that from a consistency standpoint, electrics are superior. They are not particularly effected by atmospheric pressure, humidity, heat or cold. There are no fuel issues. They run the same, flight after flight. Now, this can be mostly true if you have a good IC setup. Mostly. But rather constant changes have to be made to maintain a good setup in changing conditions. Not so much with electrics. Now, this is all based on my observation, not my experience. I have no real experience apart from a couple of flights on an electric powered setup.

No not really , electrics are affected by winds, most ALL I have seen have far more problems than a good IC, also electric planes are not able to buck physics, props on electrics are less efficient in hi heat and hi humidity just like any prop on any motor, they are also much more efficient in cold dry air..just like IC and all others are. Electric planes have more lift in cold dry air, less in hot humid air, the efficiency is very differant in the range of conditions...just like any other motor. If you fly an electric in hi altitude high heat high humidity it will not perform as well if you do not make adjustments...just like you do in other motor systems. As far as their are "no" fuel issues, yes I have seen with my own eyes some battery pack of the exact same brand are not as good as others and their is a difference in power output..this my friend is a "fuel issue"
Why do you think people are working so hard on trying to get some sort of "needle" type adjustments on electrics so you can dial power up and down at the launching pad?
Their are many other issues but I think the point is made, fact is there are many many good power plants out there for people, use what you want and what your happy with, but don't tell us about one is perfect, and never changes in any weather, never has any faults happen, never has a motor failure etc...  that isn't true of any system
Regards
Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
Four strokes, what electrics are trying to imitate  ;D

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »

[/quote]

I don’t agree with you on that one Randy. Again, I look to the RC boys, (in this case F3A) because their user pool is larger). For the most part the best YS setup, (YS's use a closed supercharger like setup) is so reliable and consistent from flight to flight compared to the top Plettenburg setups that it is a wash.

Granted, you have to know your business to get YS motors to perform like that over a long period of time but, the top cats are same whether in F2B or F3A, they are just simply better at it than the rest.

Our best PA setups are so consistent from YEAR YEAR!! that, it is just personal preference. We are talking about a motor that has the capability to last and run consistently for literally over a decade-amazing!! My Saito never once quit on me in flight. What I find amazing about the Saito is that, when a good 2 stroke would certainly quit in flight because of a bad needle setting, the Saito will just keep running, albeit badly.

My Supertigre 46, (Jose Modesto “do you still have your 46”) that I got when I was 14 years old, I would put up against anything-anything for long term consistency.

I was watching a contest the-2009 European World Cup F2B meet, where almost all of the ships were electric powered.  In some cases, I was able to compare the same planes (Yiri Jezmola’s ship) etc. against the setups that were previously powered by IC.  Whether or not the contestants were getting more consistent runs than their previous IC setups, I don’t know.

But, in watching and comparing the older videos of them, I did not see any problems in consistency in their IC flights. The one thing I did notice, is that ALL of the electrics flights seemed way too fast-like big combat ships. EVERY SINGLE flight of EVERY SINGLE electric powered plane SUCKED from a speed standpoint. I would not want to be a judge at that contest!!

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Alan Hahn

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
<snip>....
I was watching a contest the-2009 European World Cup F2B meet, where almost all of the ships were electric powered.  In some cases, I was able to compare the same planes (Yiri Jezmola’s ship) etc. against the setups that were previously powered by IC.  Whether or not the contestants were getting more consistent runs than their previous IC setups, I don’t know.

But, in watching and comparing the older videos of them, I did not see any problems in consistency in their IC flights. The one thing I did notice, is that ALL of the electrics flights seemed way too fast-like big combat ships. EVERY SINGLE flight of EVERY SINGLE electric powered plane SUCKED from a speed standpoint. I would not want to be a judge at that contest!!

Do you have any actual measured lap times? There is no reason for an electric powered plane to fly faster than the glow version.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 04:24:51 PM »
Randy,

Of course conditions that effect the plane, effect the plane. But the electric motor runs the same, flight after flight. That isnt' always true with an IC engine. I watched Paul fly at a contest a few weeks ago. The wind picked up to hurricane levels. He was blown around as much as anyone (though the motor continued to pull it out of bad situations). Obviously, aerodynamic issues pertain regardless of power train.

Sure, you can get a bad battery. You can get bad fuel too. The latter is more likely, but it pertains.

I'm not advocating electrics (though many do). I like IC power and apart from the inability to fly at the local school that would not be a problem with an electric motor, there isn't really any reason I can think of to change. Part of it is, I have the hard won knowledge of how to get my IC engines to work in various conditions. I know what props to go to, what adjustments to make when the air gets thin or thick or when the wind blows. I'm comfortable with what I have and can make it perform. I think it's easier with an electric setup, but both work pretty well. Certainly, Paul has proven to me that electrics can be a superior setup. But I'll probably stick with what I know. It works quite well.

And beside, I would miss the vroom.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »
Do you have any actual measured lap times? There is no reason for an electric powered plane to fly faster than the glow version.

"Do you have any actual measured lap times?"
 Hey Bro, I was watching a video!!! LOL

"There is no reason for an electric powered plane to fly faster than the glow version."
Your dead right!! So whats up!!

Moreover, in watching the YS powered F3A ships up against the Plettenburg,(or similar setups) I can't tell the difference in speed. In fact, I can't tell the difference in anything!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:26:26 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Alan Hahn

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »
"Do you have any actual measured lap times?"
 Hey Bro, I was watching a video!!! LOL

"There is no reason for an electric powered plane to fly faster than the glow version."
Your dead right!! So whats up!!

Moreover, in watching the YS powered F3A ships up against the Plettenburg,(or similar setups) I can't tell the difference in speed. In fact, I can't tell the difference in anything!

Well you obviously thought they were flying faster and said so. So really nothing substantiated. Just an impression. Could be the (lack of) sound.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
Well you obviously thought they were flying faster and said so. So really nothing substantiated. Just an impression. Could be the (lack of) sound.

I personally thought and still do that they were flying noticeably faster. That is, MUCH faster. While there could have been some perception shinanagings, I have been around long enough not to worry about that.  Moreover, I usually can call the difference in lap times fairly accurately before I here the actual time. When I am on really on it, it is usually VERY CLOSE. Generally, when I think a stunt flight is faster, it usually is!!! H^^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Alan Hahn

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
I note that in those European World Cup champs, that electric came in 2nd and 3rd, so those judges weren't too puzzled by the electrics. I also note the 3rd place finisher in that contest, Igor Burger came in second at last year's Worlds Champs behind Dave Fitzgerald. He was flying the same electric plane.

So I doubt that electric power is holding these guys back.

So the point is that electric is already up to par with the best in glow, and it is up to the pilot to go the rest of the way. So glow certainly isn't obsolete but there is certainly a new motor in town!

~^ isn't going to change reality.  y1
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:50:53 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:41 AM »
I have checked lap times on electrics and ALL of them were under 4.9 (some as fast as 4.5) lap times. Dave F. was flying 5.5 to 5.6 lap times all week at the NATS. That is a big difference to me. On the other hand ALL of the Sharks (with IC motors) fly very fast lap times too, in the same range as the electrics. This is a sign of low hp or a heavy plane or both.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »
OK, there's a good reason for electric power's consistency. These are not simple DC motors, but are synchronous (AC, virtually) motors. Their RPM is precisely determined by their driver (ESC) whose phased pulses control its rotation. Unless the motor is lugged to the point to where it is "slipping poles", it runs the programmed speed. Insufficient current from the battery could slip poles as well, since torque is directly related to current. However, that is not a normal operating mode.

I'll readily criticize electric power for its initial cost, limited battery life, battery charging/changing hassles, perhaps even likelihood of crash damage. But motors do RUN consistently, it's their nature. Electric powered ships are indeed affected by wind; some may be easier to fly in wind, assuming motor run consistency is useful there. Who might know better than serious competitors?

Look for further improvements in battery technology soon (say "wonderful but even more expensive"), as well as ESC capabilities (say "sensor inputs"). We'll know electric power has truly arrived when someone gets the bright idea that it really needs to compete in its own "class".

If I were in the business of selling and reworking IC engines, I doubt that I would have much praise for a competing technology like electric power. That said, I wouldn't count IC nor electric power out for our model airplanes, at least not in our foreseeable lives.

I like the smell of nitro and castor (and that coconut flavor from Arizona) in alcohol fuel.  If electric could add a speaker and a mister to simulate the IC sound and smell.. (Hmm. I believe I can make an ESC that would have outputs for that. But first I need the little DSP module looking at 3-axis G forces, motor current, air and battery temperatures, FET (flight elapsed time), and sixteen user adjustable digital parameters that will control how the motor drive behaves.)

Wouldn't you agree that getting power systems sorted out has always been a major challenge of CL Stunt?  8)

L.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Larry,

Well, that was really my point. Electric certainly has things to recommend it (and also things to dis-recommend it). I don't know that it's yet superior to IC, but I think it can be equal.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
"If I were in the business of selling and reworking IC engines, I doubt that I would have much praise for a competing technology like electric power. That said, I wouldn't count IC nor electric power out for our model airplanes, at least not in our foreseeable lives. "

Hi Larry

Since I am sure that was aimed at me, I will respond, never did I say I counted out Elec. power, As for not praising competing power I could care less what people use as long as they are happy with it.
 I sell both IC and Elec. power plants, I have both systems here in my personal planes,and as Always my philosophy is run whatever you want, and what makes you happy.
Just don't knock other equipment by saying stuff like it is superior, Much better, more consistant, easier to setup, cheaper, runs perfect all the time, is NOT affected by weather winds..etc.  
I have heard this all before many times.
As I stated in my first post about this you can have trouble with "any" power system be it IC or Electric.
 Or you can have a complete trouble free system that woks for years on end with either, but nothing is trouble free or eliminates the worry of anything going wrong or having to make adjustments
I have flown several Electric setups, even what I considered to be the very best electric setup out there, I have also flown world class IC setups , both are very viable ,and will compete for many many years to come with each other

Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:02:24 PM by RandySmith »

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »
I have checked lap times on electrics and ALL of them were under 4.9 (some as fast as 4.5) lap times.

Well, ya haven't seen ALL of them.  ;D 

All seriousness aside, electrics will fly as fast or as slow as you want - Pilot's choice - just like IC.  While I am sold on electrics for my stuff, I expect that good dependable IC power will continue in use.  In fact, I hope ALL my competitors fly IC!  y1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Alan Hahn

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
I have checked lap times on electrics and ALL of them were under 4.9 (some as fast as 4.5) lap times. Dave F. was flying 5.5 to 5.6 lap times all week at the NATS. That is a big difference to me. On the other hand ALL of the Sharks (with IC motors) fly very fast lap times too, in the same range as the electrics. This is a sign of low hp or a heavy plane or both.

If you turn the same prop at the same rpm and lap speed and same line length (I hope I have included all the possible variables now!), and don't lose rpm in the vertical, you are making the same horsepower.

There isn't anything fundamental going on here.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »
Not losing RPM in the vertical is an unnecessary condition. 
The Jive Combat Team

Alan Hahn

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »

I know, I just thought I add that in as a plus for electric. y1

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »
Howard,

I thought your call outs for specific goals to improve stunt were particularly good.

Picking one feature, improving flying in the wind, I realize how I haven't a clue about what is needed. Assuming, for the moment, a flying model could somehow "sense" certain windy conditions, how might it adjust itself (power, of course, but not necessarily limited to that) to help it fly better?

How do you characterize the problem in any decent manner? Speed up when flying up wind, and slow down when flying down wind? Somehow I doubt that is the complete answer.

A stunt flier easily knows when he's flying in windy conditions, but how does a model? Since there is no practical, accurate position tracking system anywhere in sight, what is even feasible? I can't really define inputs and outputs, let alone a control function to connect them.

(Say.. perhaps have the model "trim" itself, aerodynamically during windy conditions? Adjust a screw to move a weight in the fuselage and adjust CG for extra sensitivity?)

I doubt that we'll ever see a  self trimming stunt ship, nor would it be desirable. Fun to think about, interesting problems to solve, likely useless. The quality of a stunt pattern ultimately depends on the skill of the pilot; a certain level of equipment quality is assumed.

L.

PS - Randy, I certainly didn't mean to slight you or your opinions in any manner. But I do remember getting thoroughly ripped apart years ago when I repeated Bill Melton's observation that "any good stunt ship has poor line tension at times" - all sorts of decrees about piped engines NEVER experiencing decreases in line tension, EVER, and WTF could I possibly know about it, etc. Amazing just how emotional it all got. I've always wanted to install an accelerometer to actually record line tension, to OBSERVE this phenomena of uniform line tension, specifically due to power plant.

Remember the pugnacity of "discussions" that ushered in the piped engine era? For that matter, how many fist fights have nearly erupted when someone expressed disdain for the venerable Fox .35 Stunt motor? We all have our opinions, which are CORRECT!  y1

I sense just a tad of defensiveness from the anti-electric crowd, a similar conviction that IC power is absolutely superior in every way, having achieved perfection including consistency. Just my general, unqualified opinion, but I think electric power perhaps has already achieved the performance level of the best IC setups. And electric is just getting started.

We both share the conviction that we want everyone to run what they are happy with. I pray we'll always have options.

Best regards.

"If you don't want to work, you have to work to earn enough money so that you won't have to work" -Ogden Nash

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »
"PS - Randy, I certainly didn't mean to slight you or your opinions in any manner. But I do remember getting thoroughly ripped apart years ago when I repeated Bill Melton's observation that "any good stunt ship has poor line tension at times" - all sorts of decrees about piped engines NEVER experiencing decreases in line tension, EVER, and WTF could I possibly know about it, etc. Amazing just how emotional it all got. I've always wanted to install an accelerometer to actually record line tension, to OBSERVE this phenomena of uniform line tension, specifically due to power plant"

Larry

Your post was very clear insinuating something that was not, and your post clearly was directed at me, and if by chance some people think you are insinuating I was the one who ripped you apart ... I will say that you never got ripped apart by me about your opinions, on anything.
As far as I am concerned people are free to have them, doesn't really bother me at all.
I also never said WTF do you know...none of that came from me so I fail to see any relevance in posting to me about something I was not part of. And if you believe that electrics are rubber power is the state of the art, more power to you.
I remember things a little differant than you stated though, The post didn't say they NEVER has any loss of tension, what the detractors where saying was that pipe setups had no line tension above 45 degrees, that was what more than a few people chose to have an online war about. Which in a word was  ridiculous.
I speak with sometimes 30 people a day and stunt flyers are having a incredible good time building and flying electric and IC world beaters,  that seems to be the point, this is after all a hobby, your supposed to enjoy it, Im happy to see anyone get pleasure from building and flying whatever that want to build.
Randy
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 09:26:58 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
Howard,

I thought your call outs for specific goals to improve stunt were particularly good.

Picking one feature, improving flying in the wind, I realize how I haven't a clue about what is needed. Assuming, for the moment, a flying model could somehow "sense" certain windy conditions, how might it adjust itself (power, of course, but not necessarily limited to that) to help it fly better?

How do you characterize the problem in any decent manner? Speed up when flying up wind, and slow down when flying down wind? Somehow I doubt that is the complete answer.

A stunt flier easily knows when he's flying in windy conditions, but how does a model? Since there is no practical, accurate position tracking system anywhere in sight, what is even feasible? I can't really define inputs and outputs, let alone a control function to connect them.

(Say.. perhaps have the model "trim" itself, aerodynamically during windy conditions? Adjust a screw to move a weight in the fuselage and adjust CG for extra sensitivity?)

I doubt that we'll ever see a  self trimming stunt ship, nor would it be desirable. Fun to think about, interesting problems to solve, likely useless. The quality of a stunt pattern ultimately depends on the skill of the pilot; a certain level of equipment quality is assumed.

Looks like you are contemplating a system that speeds the airplane up going upwind and slows it down going downwind.  Igor has done this.  As for sensitivity to maneuver placement relative to the wind and to turbulence, you ought to be able to do a lot just with the shape of the airplane.  See NACA Report 1098, http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1952/naca-report-1098.pdf .
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2009, 06:45:13 AM »
"If you turn the same prop at the same rpm and lap speed and same line length (I hope I have included all the possible variables now!), and don't lose rpm in the vertical, you are making the same horsepower.

There isn't anything fundamental going on here."

I am just stating MY CASUAL observations, nothing else. I do not think that electrics are the way for me to go and was voicing some of my opinions. That was my mistake.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2009, 08:06:36 AM »
Howard,

Agreed, the first approach toward better flight characteristics is to adjust our model aerodynamics. Thanks for the link.

I remember an electric power system with speed modulated by a rate output from a helicopter gyro, there was a video of it flying in a gymnasium. I thought that was Igor's. Also I remember discussion of mechanical weight/lever systems mounted on the engine, to regulate throttle based on centripetal force (line tension).

I'm not anticipating any major development in autonomous RPM controls. But ESCs with  "2/4 simulator" modes are probably coming.

L.

"When you get to the fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2009, 08:27:23 AM »
Randy,

Please do not read things into places where they aren't. No one said YOU made simplistic and silly decrees about line tension in piped ships. Others did, however, and my point was that some people tend to get testy and hurt when discussing model airplane power systems (actually, when discussing ANY CHANGE in the world of CL Stunt).

No offense was ever intended to Randy Smith.

I'll try to separate better with paragraphs in the future.

Best,

L.

"The course of true anything does not run smooth." -Samuel Butler

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:20 AM »
"If you turn the same prop at the same rpm and lap speed and same line length (I hope I have included all the possible variables now!), and don't lose rpm in the vertical, you are making the same horsepower.

There isn't anything fundamental going on here."

I am just stating MY CASUAL observations, nothing else. I do not think that electrics are the way for me to go and was voicing some of my opinions. That was my mistake.

See? Feelers are getting hurt.

It's not really possible to "discuss" model airplane power systems without this eventually occurring.

L.

"We live in a rainbow of chaos." - Paul Cezanne

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46:54 AM »
But Howard,

There's worms in that report. And pitchforks..

L.

"Youth is a blunder; Manhood a struggle; Old Age a regret." -Benjamin Disraeli

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2009, 10:08:49 AM »
Randy,

Please do not read things into places where they aren't. No one said YOU made simplistic and silly decrees about line tension in piped ships. Others did, however, and my point was that some people tend to get testy and hurt when discussing model airplane power systems (actually, when discussing ANY CHANGE in the world of CL Stunt).

No offense was ever intended to Randy Smith.

I'll try to separate better with paragraphs in the future.

Best,

L.

"The course of true anything does not run smooth." -Samuel Butler

Hi Larry

Your post insinuated that , Clarity was why I made the post to start with, that is the reason I said........
 "if" by chance some people think you are insinuating I was the one who ripped you apart ... I will say that you never got ripped apart by me about your opinions, on anything.

I am not mad or even annoyed by your post, I just want to keep perfectly clear what "others" said ,and what I said.

Randy

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
Randy,

For perfect clarity here: Randy Smith never said anything to rip me apart, publicly or privately.

It was poor judgement on my part to mention that incident at all.

I seem to have an increasing number of "poor judgements" nowadays.

L.

"'Tis a sharp medicine, but it will cure all that ails you." -Sir Walter Raleigh just prior to his beheading

Offline John Ashford

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »
Hey guys,

I love you all but haven't we sort of gotten away ( as often happens) from the original question?  If one wants to discuss the pros/cons of electric vs. IC, why not start a new thread?  I also believe that personal relationships and differences should absolutely not be discussed on this or any other forum.

Later,  John  >:D

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2009, 03:21:46 PM »
John,

Good point. The question I thought you were asking was, is there anything really new in design since the Nobler. The answer is probably not in function, but perhaps in application.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
John,

Good point. The question I thought you were asking was, is there anything really new in design since the Nobler. The answer is probably not in function, but perhaps in application.

Yes there has been a lot new since the Nobler , airfoils for one thing that are not and do not conform to the Nobler
There have been several , Also design numbers , there have been many planes with aspect ratios moments percentages that are not Noblers. Juts look at Denny's Orange plane, very unique stuntship .Of course you will always have some that say everything is a Nobler

Regards
Randy

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »
I am new here but I detect all sorts of ideas about applying "the numbers".

- big planes with big engines
- small planes with big engines
- big and small planes with small engines running harder
- planes with big fuselages, big engines and small wings

- I wouldnt be surprised if the "big engine chugging along" vs. "small engine that does part of the pattern at full tilt" thing applies to electrics to some extent too. Electric motors get less efficient when pulling their max currents, not to speak about batteries when they are under strain.

- foam wings (is it just to reduce the number of parts you need to glue together?)
- molded fiberglass/carbon structures (should be good for mass production, maybe less so if you want to design a one-off with your own look)
...... what happened to this one anyway: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=9263.0

- not everybody seems to agree on how to cover a plane either
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59:57 PM »
Randy,

Well, I agree. But it depends on how you see different. To me, changes in moment arms, aspect ratio, airfoil, area and a myriad of other details end up making a big difference in the final product and certainly constitute substantial design changes. For others, the wing, stab, fuse and tail are still in relatively the same position so it's the same as a Nobler. Depends on how you are looking at it, I suppose.

As a side note, I've seen a few planes that are made to look very much (if not exactly) like a Nobler but are radically different aerodynamically. Are they the same as a Nobler?   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
"For others, the wing, stab, fuse and tail are still in relatively the same position so it's the same as a Nobler. Depends on how you are looking at it, I suppose. "

I guess I would need to point out that The Nobler was not the first to have the wings and stab in the same relative position, maybe 100s of others were ..before.. the Nobler, so if that is the criteria I would think the Nobler would need to be tossed in favor of the first design that had the same.

There are still reall many many NEW items in Stunt design that have been put into play after the Nobler was born
Look at Scott Bair's StuntFire, a radical departure from Nobler type thinking, in construction and design, and the Airfoil is not even close to a Nobler.
When else have you seen a 65 inch span plane of 700 sq In and over with a huge scale like body, 3 inch metal spinner, 3 inch plus tires ,18 inch plus tail moment and a 16 inch prop turned by a 65  come in  at  43 ounces

Regards
Randy

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
quote author=RandySmith

There are still reall many many NEW items in Stunt design that have been put into play after the Nobler was born
Look at Scott Bair's StuntFire, a radical departure from Nobler type thinking, in construction and design, and the Airfoil is not even close to a Nobler. When else have you seen a 65 inch span plane of 700 sq In and over with a huge scale like body, 3 inch metal spinner, 3 inch plus tires ,18 inch plus tail moment and a 16 inch prop turned by a 65  come in  at  43 ounces

Regards
Randy

For crying out loud-you guys have got to post some pics of these non-Nobler planes. I am going bananas trying to imagine what these things look like.  ???
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »
quote author=RandySmith

Look at Scott Bair's StuntFire, a radical departure from Nobler type thinking, in construction and design, and the Airfoil is not even close to a Nobler. When else have you seen a 65 inch span plane of 700 sq In and over with a huge scale like body, 3 inch metal spinner, 3 inch plus tires ,18 inch plus tail moment and a 16 inch prop turned by a 65  come in  at  43 ounces

Regards
Randy

For crying out loud-you guys have got to post some pics of these non-Nobler planes. I am going bananas trying to imagine what these things look like.  ???

Hi Milton

This is one of them, there are several, plus a Mustang version in a slighlty smaller size and another that is 67 inch span

The picture shown is one of the FAT body Stuntfires, 3 1/2 inch spinner , 3 1/2 inch Robart scale wheels, a 65 engine turing a 16 x 4.5 prop, this one weighs 45 ounces......LOL  right now it has an 88 in it..

Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »
Randy,

I stand corrected. I've always believed that you can't argue with someone that agrees with you. I was wrong.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
Randy,

I stand corrected. I've always believed that you can't argue with someone that agrees with you. I was wrong.

Randy

I am not sure why you would believe My post was argueing  with you, I was not. You were saying the same thing I believe, that was the only reason I quoted part of the post you made about some beliefs people have, to show by that criteria nothing would ever be new.
My post was directed toward "the others"  you wrote in your post
So argueing  was not my intent, nor my statement. It was simply meant to be informative, and to express the notion that some have a point of view that nothing is new in stunt, and to show a few things that are new...at least by some's definition.
Your point was well taken,  a few will take it to the extreme to show that nothing is new.
There are many more examples out there of this. I would imagine if you took Denny's Orange Crate ,and one of the  really high aspect ratio ships that you have done in the past, back to a year after the Nobler was built, George would think it was a very new and radical design. And I think he would be right.

Geeze I don't even think that the T Bird  is  just a Nobler   ;D

Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:28:57 AM by RandySmith »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
Randy,

One of the problems with this sort of communication forum is the loss of facial expressions and voice timbre. The comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. Guess I should have used a little smiley face or something. No offense was taken or meant. Like you, I was trying to convey that some people (not you) will argue with anything just for the drill.

How about this:  (PE**)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Ashford

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »

Back in the dark ages, I owned a '31 Model A Ford five window coupe.  It had a 4 Cyl IC engine, four wheels, head and tail lights, drum brakes a steering wheel and a drive train.  If I was brave enough, I could get it up to 75-80 mph. The front end was a little "loose" so it got exciting at that speed.

Today I own a couple of cars and they have: An IC engine, four wheels, head and tails lights, drum brakes (rear only) a steering wheel and a drive train.

I suppose that some would say all automobiles are just different versions of the Model A.  I really wish I still owned it and if I did I would be driving it around Guthrie, OK to the grocery store and the post office.  But, if I were going to take a trip to the California coast, I would much rather drive my Buick which has all of the above but also Power steering, AC and a nice sound system. It also doesn't shake any at 75-80 mph.

Y'all have fun.  Tight lines and great engine/motor runs.

Later,  John

My appoligies to Lew McFarland and Les McDonald.  ~^

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2009, 12:52:37 PM »
Actually, the Nobler was an offshoot of the Chief which was the next iteration after the Go-Devil from the great mind of Bob Palmer. It's all his fault!

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »

Nothing like a double negative to get the blood flowing.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2009, 11:26:03 PM »
Randy,

Well, I agree. But it depends on how you see different. To me, changes in moment arms, aspect ratio, airfoil, area and a myriad of other details end up making a big difference in the final product and certainly constitute substantial design changes. For others, the wing, stab, fuse and tail are still in relatively the same position so it's the same as a Nobler. Depends on how you are looking at it, I suppose.

As a side note, I've seen a few planes that are made to look very much (if not exactly) like a Nobler but are radically different aerodynamically. Are they the same as a Nobler?   ;D

So, if Bobby Who ever finishes his canard stunter we'll all just say it's just another Wright Flyer?  n~ n~ n~

Ted

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2009, 01:45:24 AM »
Randy,

Randy, I don't see a resolution to this.  It looks like a case where you're both going to have to simply agree to agree...   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here