News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: De Hill  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
De Hill
« on: January 30, 2024, 04:08:00 PM »
Ruby Hill just called to let me know that De passed away this morning. De was a spark plug to the Tulsa Gluedobbers for many, many years. He will be greatly missed. Rest in peace, my friend.

Joe Gilbert
Joe Gilbert

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: De Hill
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 04:32:17 PM »

That is very sad news. Dee was a good friend and a great supporter of control line in general. Rest in peace.
Jim Kraft

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 04:34:14 PM »
Oh NO.  Worst news.  Dang.   Thanks Joe for telling us.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 04:47:23 PM »
This is sad news. 🥺

Our condolences to the family.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 04:59:30 PM »
Oh no!! That’s really sad to hear!!
Matt Colan

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 05:23:53 PM »
Control modeling has lost another friend.  De originated and sponsored the spark ignition event at the VSC in Tucson Arizona.  In addition, De made the beautiful trophy's awarded to Spirit of 46, 52 and 64 and several other awards over the years.  Those of us fortunate to have won one of these trophy's know the value we place in them.  De was a good friend to me for over thirty years and I feel a great loss.  My deepest regards to Ruby.  Also to the Tulsa Glue Dobers which De served for many years.  Farewell De.    Roy DeCamara

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 05:44:37 PM »
  Roy, I know what you mean. Of all the trophies I have received, the three first place ignition trophies, the Spirit of 46 Trophy, the Spirit of 52 trophy, and the Nobler trophy are some of my greatest possessions. The Spirit of 46 has an Ohlsson 19 front valve on it with batteries, capacitor, and a switch. Beautifully made as all his trophies are.

He gave of his time to promote our passion. He also had a great amount of control line history in his head. I remember once saying, if Dee did not know about it, it probably never happened. It is a sad day indeed.
Jim Kraft

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 06:23:21 PM »
In an odd bit of irony, De Hill is/was the sole moderator of the section “In Memory of our friends”.

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2024, 06:38:36 PM »
De was iconic in Tulsa Glue Dobber history.   He was the impetus in getting the control line Glue Dobber's going in the late 1980's.  Myself and a couple more from Topeka went to their inaugural contest in 1990 at the original Tulsa Glue Dobber field.  They didn't know a lot about running a contest, but they quickly learned how to run an excellent contest.
He has been a Contest Director, Stunt Judge and indefatigable Glue Dobber spark plug.   
And, as Jim said, his plaque trophy's are highly prized by their recipients.
De also had a world class collection of control line handles, ranging from antique to unique to the one used by George Aldrich to win the Nats way back when.   
Fair winds, De.

Jim

Offline Bill Schwagerman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 07:34:23 PM »
This is such sad news! De helped bring even more joy to this hobby of ours! I loved watching him run (or try to  run) the old slag ignition engines at Ward Hallenberg’s place way back when. He also ran the Morton M5 for us. I also enjoyed watching him fly OTS at Topeka’s TOPCLASS contest back around 2000. A kind man he was.

Bill

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 08:16:05 PM »
A sad day, for sure. De was a great guy and great supporter of stunt in Wichita as well. He and Elwyn would often come up to help judge and take photos. We’ll miss him for sure. My sincere sympathy to Ruby and the Gluedobbers.
AMA 10663

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 09:00:11 PM »
  Not much that I can say that hasn't been said. Another one of the great building blocks that our event was built on. I liked talking to De about the old days and OTS but just didn't get to do it enough!! I wanted to go to his Mirror Meet Recreation Meets but never got the opportunity, but we did send a guy down there from our club that actually placed in the contest as a youngster! My son Sean got to fly in at least one while he was posted at Fort Hood one time and said he had a ball. Never second guess about whether or not to go somewhere and have a good time!!
  Condolences and deepest sympathies to his family and close friends,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2024, 06:37:58 AM »
R.I.P. De

Jerry

Offline Mark Gerber

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 07:34:57 AM »
Sad to hear this.  De had an encylopedic knowledge of the hobby and our history.

Mark Gerber
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 02:15:46 PM by Mark Gerber »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 11:16:01 AM »
This is such a shock.  I thought for sure he would out live me.  All has been said already except I asked him at Wichta why he didn't fly second round and beat me.  He stated," I did I would have to move up".  He will be missed by everybody. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 01:56:03 PM »
In an odd bit of irony, De Hill is/was the sole moderator of the section “In Memory of our friends”.

This is sad news. So he was the Mod if anyone would like the position send me a PM. Rest in peace Dee
AMA 12366

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2024, 08:53:41 PM »
Very sad news.

I last talked to De just a couple months ago. He sounded very weak and had no stamina.

I can't remember when I met De... but it may have been in the late 1980s or so. He was always involved with the Tulsa CL Gluedobbers and tirelessly promoted them for years.

He gifted me with several items over the decades. One of his gifts was a VHS copy of his "Scarinzi's Basement" tape. On his own tape, his love for the sport came through loud and clear at the GSCB's event he attended while he videoed, as well as during his epic visit to Larry's basement.

He will be missed by many, this old CL fan included.

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 10:11:23 AM »
Certainly Sad News. Dee was a very nice man whom I am proud to have known both at the Circle Burners Contests and at the Brodak FlyIns over the years. My prayers to him and his family.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 03:22:06 PM »
This is very sad news. I hadn't seen him in a very long time but we corresponded from time to time about contest results as the years went by. Every time we communicated it was like we had just seen each other the day before. He was a really great guy. We are all better for having had him in this little world we call control line. He will be missed...
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 08:31:54 PM »
Geez, I really hate to hear this. De was just such a nice guy.
RIP De, and condolences to family and friends.

Steve

Offline Jerry Higgins

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2024, 08:47:20 AM »
So sorry to hear about the loss of De.  I always enjoyed visiting with him at contests.
Jerry Higgins

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2024, 03:23:13 PM »
That is very sad news.

This is one of the elegant trophies that De made and presented at the Tucson VSC.  It is an old O&R 23 engine with gas tank, coil, battery, and actually ready to run with some fuel!  The award is called "Spirit of 46", to remember the "old days" of model flying.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 07:20:05 AM »
Floyd, you are so right. I received a trophy made by De at VSC in Tucson. It is one of my prize possessions The guy sitting next to me at the banquet wanted to put a few drops of scotch in the Venturi and see if it would pop. I wouldn’t let him, but I did close the switch and hold plug and flip. Yes sir it bit me. It just might have popped. De was definitely an ambassador of control line.

Joe Gilbert
Joe Gilbert

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 02:06:31 PM »
If only De knew how much he was admired and respected.  Rest in peace De.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here