News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cw & CCW Flying and Engine Torque  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Superclown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Cw & CCW Flying and Engine Torque
« on: November 15, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »

I understand that it is easier for right-handed people to fly in a CCW manner. Being left-handed, I find flying CCW not a problem though it is more pleasant and easier to fly CW. In the early fifties, I recall buying some C/L kits that were set-up for CW flying.

Now my point is: doesn't the common CCW rotation of the engine tend to lift the outboard wing when flying in a CCW manner? On the other hand, flying CW, the engine torque would tend to hold the outboard wing down.

When my flying skills improve, I intend to put a Fox 35 stunt with reverse-rotation crankshaft and see if there is an improvement when flying CCW.

Has anyone had any experience in this? Any comments on my thoughts?

Thanks,
Henry    ???

Henry
Superclown

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cw & CCW Flying and Engine Torque
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 01:58:47 PM »
Hi Henry,
I fly left handed too. And I feel like I have an advantage particularly for take offs and landings.

As far as engine rotation lifting the wing and all that other stuff---------I recommend letting it go and thinking about something else. This is a condition that's had no ill effect on our planes for more than 50 years. Clogging up the noodle with this could tie up the brain cells needed to improve piloting skills. Of course we all have our things we like to wonder about and if this is yours then have at it. Can't hurt. ;D
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 06:10:47 PM »
I hope I didn't put the kibash on this....................  ;D
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »
I have installed a couter rotating crankshaft in the Fox 35 that is on my All American Sr.  The plane was originally designed to fly clockwise and has a 3" longer inboard panel.  The original did benefit from the torque when flown CW, especially on take offs as I understand it.

Mine is a bear (no pun intended) to take off so I switched crankshafts.  I will have to wait for better weather to see how it works!  But, it was a suggestion from many people that are familiar with the design.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »
Bill,

I think we kicked this around a few times over the years, no? >:D

In particular, making a safe and confident takeoff with an AA,Sr. ...

As I mentioned "somewhere" recently, the reverse rotation torque does help for takeoff, but the big thing is to treat the AA, Sr. like a torquey racing model.

LEAD IT!!

BACK UP!!!

YOU ARE FLYING IT - IT IS NOT FLYING YOU!    ACT ACCORDINGLY...

The thing that didn't find space in the other recent comments: With a reverse rotation (CW for upright CCW flight direction), you can put the pushrod outboard of the bellcrank pivot. That gives you the same gyro precession response as a reversed bellcrank for a standard engine and CCW flight direction.

It is always a bit fiddly and less than reassuring to have the pushrod crossing among the leadouts, no?
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:06 PM »
Hi Lou,

Before I blew out my knee, I had gotten use to taking off the AA Sr.  ;D  I would turn my back to the lane and get a head start on running!  Lead and whip and everything would go OK.  I just want to get a *little* less apprehensive about take offs, and more than a couple feet roll out.  **)

The pushrod is on the outside for this plane so that should prove your theorem about the push rod positioning when I get the beast back out to fly.

It really is a BLAST to fly, once it's under control in the air!  y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here