News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:28:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cox Tee Dee .09  (Read 2047 times)

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Cox Tee Dee .09
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »
Any suggestions for a good stunt kit for my Cox Tee Dee .09. Brand new , still in box just waiting to be bolted up.  Also have a K & B greenhead screamer .09 that needs a ride. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
Re: Cox Tee Dee .09
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:52:50 PM »
I am going to put my modified TD .09 on an original PDQ Baby Clown. People seem to think i'm crazy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 03:29:57 PM »
I have been very happy with TD 09 on Jr Flitestreak and on Shark 15.  Should be fine on any of the older 15 designs. 

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Thanks Jim, I had looked at the Flite Streak Jr. in the Brodak wish book, do you know if that is with flaps? Do you think 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz uniflow tank would work, or would i even know the difference in the uniflow design? Looking for about 4 minutes of mild stunting, loops , lazy eights and a lap or two inverted. Thanks, NC Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 08:48:46 PM »
I had a Medallion .09 (which is basically a de-tuned Tee-Dee) on a Ringmaster Jr. It flew fine in 52 foot .012s. I think a Streak Jr. would be a great choice, the thicker wing should slow it down and let it fly on the wing. It sure seems that way in the .35 size Ringmaster vs the Flite Streak.

The Cox motors like to wind up, I've used both SIg and Byron 1/2A 25% nitro fuel in my .09s with decent results, I used a 1 1/2 oz Perfect wedge tank - no uniflow. It did tend to lean out a bit at the end. A 2 oz Hayes plastic vented uni-flow would probably give you plenty of run time.

You could also run crancase pressure, I think the Tee-Dees are the same as the Medallion. They have a nipple on the side of the front crancase body that is not drilled all the way through. You remove the crankcase body and finish drilling the hole thru, then you can run a line from the nipple to the tank vent, like muffler pressure.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 09:03:32 PM »
I modified my TD .09 by installing the front housing and NVA from a medallion onto it. Now I have a wolf in sheeps clothing. I did it to improve fuel draw.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:57:18 AM »
I had a Medallion .09 (which is basically a de-tuned Tee-Dee) on a Ringmaster Jr. It flew fine in 52 foot .012s. I think a Streak Jr. would be a great choice, the thicker wing should slow it down and let it fly on the wing. It sure seems that way in the .35 size Ringmaster vs the Flite Streak.

The Cox motors like to wind up, I've used both SIg and Byron 1/2A 25% nitro fuel in my .09s with decent results, I used a 1 1/2 oz Perfect wedge tank - no uniflow. It did tend to lean out a bit at the end. A 2 oz Hayes plastic vented uni-flow would probably give you plenty of run time.

You could also run crancase pressure, I think the Tee-Dees are the same as the Medallion. They have a nipple on the side of the front crancase body that is not drilled all the way through. You remove the crankcase body and finish drilling the hole thru, then you can run a line from the nipple to the tank vent, like muffler pressure.

Please, never drill that hole and hook up to the nipple. That is timed pressure and will give you a very sensitive needle valve and a lot of grief getting consistant runs. That was tried in the 50's and soon abandoned in favor of crankcase pressure. Today I'd use a bladder it's just so much easier.
dennis

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 05:01:53 AM »
The SIG Akromaster might be a god choice . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 06:45:26 AM »
Ralph, i'm glad you mentioned that! I was about to drill engine mounting holes in the Akro i am finishing . Planning on using an old Fox .15 simply because i have not flown anything other than 1/2a in 30 years and i think the slower rpm's would be best for now. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention the fuse to wing mounting didn't go so well, a little cack eyed. See pic.HB~>.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 07:12:04 AM »
Hey that looks straighter than some of mine.  It still puzzles me to have the wing and fuse in a jig, then after removing from the jig it is ###### to one side or the other.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »
I've been running Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil  50/50 in my TD 09's and they run fine.  I used to run more nitro but I think the 10% is a little easier to set the needle.  I run pressure off a backplate tap and have a one-way valve in the pressure line.  The stock needle works fine. I fly the cox gray 7 x 3.5's.  When I run out I will go to APC 7 x 3.  I release in the range of 14,000 -15,000.  A little richer in calm weather.  Takes about 2 oz of fuel to make it through the pattern.  I use 57 ft, .012 lines on the Jr Flitestreak and 55 ft lines on the Shark 15's.  On 55 ft lines the Flitestreak was turning 3.8 sec laps.  A little fast.  The speed difference between the Flitestreak and the Shark surprised me.   

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:18:27 AM »
The one-way valve on the pressure line seems like a great idea! I wonder how it would do on a little norvel .061 ame with muffler pressure?  Are these valves widely available?  Thanks,  NC Ray

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »
Are these valves widely available?  Thanks,  NC Ray
They are by Foremost, available thru Tower.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
The one-way valve on the pressure line seems like a great idea! I wonder how it would do on a little norvel .061 ame with muffler pressure?  Are these valves widely available?  Thanks,  NC Ray

Also available from Central Hobbies (Tettra). See: http://www.centralhobbies.com/Fuel/fittings.htm

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here