News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:17:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Counterfeit OS Glow Plugs?!  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Counterfeit OS Glow Plugs?!
« on: February 03, 2024, 01:42:23 PM »
Is anything real?

Just saw a video on a youtube channel called Dave's Stuff.

The video title is:  Counterfeit OS Glow Plugs?!

He references the way to tell the difference as identified on the OS website:  https://www.os-engines.co.jp/rule/kinkyuu2021_10_12e.html

(Didn't paste as a link, but the working link is on the info part of the video)

I will admit I have always used FOX glow plugs.  I don't think anyone will be counterfeiting those.

I recently bought OS plugs on ebay and then saw this.  Mine are real.  Buyer beware.

If someone knows a great stunt plug that is still currently available, please let us know.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Re: Counterfeit OS Glow Plugs?!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 02:23:49 PM »
I became aware of the OS counterfeit plug issue last year. I purchased a few OS A6 hot plugs on RC Groups. After I had purchased them, the Seller contacted me and said he found out the plugs 'might' be counterfeit and he would take them back and refund m $$ which was nice if him. I did return the plugs for refund.

Now, as far as OS plugs go, I will only purchase new OS plugs from reputable hobby shops. A bit more costly but OK by me.

As far as eBay goes, certainly the buyer beware.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:10:48 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 06:30:45 PM »
Last Time it was ENYAS . Cut Price thru std stores . $ 8 instead of 13 . Were worth 50 c . if that . Cut coming outof loops after two flights . if not STRAIGHT OFF . looked chalky in the element after use , BLAAGGGHH

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 09:17:13 PM »
That's funny because if they made some good plugs under they're own name they'd make a good profit. I guess the wire they use is no good? All that trouble to make plugs just to be scammers that get shut down. Just dumb.

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 12:36:08 AM »
I think people should be arrested for making and selling cloned products.  I have boutht cloned Futaba servos and Spektrum receivers off Ebay.  I complained about both.  The seller of the Futaba servos was a hobby shop and he said he knew they were clones, but felt they were just a good.  It was a deal where I bought 10 servos in a lot.  He resolved the complaint by sending me 10 Futaba servos in the boxes.  He didn't want the clones back.    On the Spektrum receiver AR7000, the seller did not respond, so Ebay refunded me.

Even today, the Spektrum market is polluted with clones. 

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 04:52:49 AM »
I had purchased some less expensive than you might expect OS #8 glow plugs on eBay so I watched the video
. I had purposely avoided buying from any Chinese seller. I just checked mine. They are genuine. I then went and looked on eBay. They are loaded with counterfeit plugs.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 12:16:27 PM »
I used to buy plugs from an on line Hobby Dealer in bulk .  Then I found out that Fox was making the plugs for them.  I guess it must have been true as when Fox closed its doors the Hooby shop quit selling the plugs.  When I need plugs I will go to MECOA. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 06:27:21 PM »
I've read that www.mikegoesflying.com sells Thunderbolt glowplugs again, but I haven't ordered anything from them yet. You might email/phone them and ask if their glowplugs are made by Ohlsson Corporation...the best, IMO.

MECOA makes K&B engines and sells K&B glowplugs, but they probably still have Ohlsson Corp. make them, as they did for decades. Good stuff.

I don't know what glowplugs Brodak sells these days.

You know I fish. I have read of counterfeit fishing line being available on eBay. They say to buy from a reputable source, like Bass Pro or Tackle Warehouse, etc. For glowplugs, I'd suggest the same policy. Horizon, Tower, Brodak, the better eBay sources you know & trust, etc.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 07:42:32 PM »
I've read that www.mikegoesflying.com sells Thunderbolt glowplugs again, but I haven't ordered anything from them yet. You might email/phone them and ask if their glowplugs are made by Ohlsson Corporation...the best, IMO.

MECOA makes K&B engines and sells K&B glowplugs, but they probably still have Ohlsson Corp. make them, as they did for decades. Good stuff.

You know I fish. I have read of counterfeit fishing line being available on eBay. They say to buy from a reputable source, like Bass Pro or Tackle Warehouse, etc. For glowplugs, I'd suggest the same policy. Horizon, Tower, Brodak, the better eBay sources you know & trust, etc.   D>K Steve

Brodak sells OS and Fireball plugs

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 12:12:20 AM »
Brodak sells OS and Fireball plugs

OS plugs are really good, but pretty pricey. Fireball glowplugs are better than Fox, which I wouldn't walk across the street for, even if they were going to be free. I used a lot of Fireball glowplugs in the '60's, when I was flying speed. Eventually, I learned not to. Their seals are weak. After a few years, I realized that every single one of my personal best speeds (A, B, B-Proto and C) were done with K&B glowplugs...Ohlsson Corporation made them.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2024, 09:28:42 AM »

I went to the mike goes flying website. Did not see any Thunderbolt plugs. Only SH plugs.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 01:39:21 PM »
I think Randy at Mecoa either lost his mind or just doesn't want to sell any Glow Plugs. The wire definitely got more expensive, but based on price increases on others he is way out of line or needs to find a better source for the wire. $18.99 for 1 K&B 1L glow plug. Unfortunately, if you insist on running "idle bar" plugs he may be your only source @ $19.99 ea.

Glow plugs are not going away anytime soon. Glow engine competition is a world wide thing. You can still get any plug you need from Here: https://www.tcaracing.com/en/product-category/glow-plugs/
The #3 std works great for all around stunt engines and they make hotter and colder versions if needed. They also have "turbo" types and "Nelson" types. Prices start around 5 Euros ($5.43). You can also get them from Bill Maywald in the US. You can contact Bill on facebook or in person at most F2D meets in the US
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2024, 02:31:26 PM »
I think Randy at Mecoa either lost his mind or just doesn't want to sell any Glow Plugs. The wire definitely got more expensive, but based on price increases on others he is way out of line or needs to find a better source for the wire. $18.99 for 1 K&B 1L glow plug. Unfortunately, if you insist on running "idle bar" plugs he may be your only source @ $19.99 ea.

Glow plugs are not going away anytime soon. Glow engine competition is a world wide thing. You can still get any plug you need from Here: https://www.tcaracing.com/en/product-category/glow-plugs/
The #3 std works great for all around stunt engines and they make hotter and colder versions if needed. They also have "turbo" types and "Nelson" types. Prices start around 5 Euros ($5.43). You can also get them from Bill Maywald in the US. You can contact Bill on facebook or in person at most F2D meets in the US
MY jury is out on these plugs.  I ordered a dozen in #'s 2, 3, and 4.  I was running a new engine on the test stand the other day (Thunder Tiger .36 Pro) and decided it needed a hotter plug.  I put a #2 in.  First thing I noticed was the McDanial Ni starter battery would not latch on.  The plug body needs to be redesigned for that to happen.  I had my power panel with me so put the old quick clip on.  The engine started on first flip but quit instantly when I took the battery off-lights out!.....Put an Enya #3 in and went about my business..

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 02:35:04 PM »
I reported the two lowest priced counterfeit OS #8 sellers on a popular auction site.  I received the reply today as far as they are concerned  the sellers are not violating their policies. Jeeez.

I appreciate the heads up about the counterfeit plugs. They are easy enough to verify and I've checked all of mine and I'm good.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 04:46:06 PM »
MY jury is out on these plugs.  I ordered a dozen in #'s 2, 3, and 4.  I was running a new engine on the test stand the other day (Thunder Tiger .36 Pro) and decided it needed a hotter plug.  I put a #2 in.  First thing I noticed was the McDanial Ni starter battery would not latch on.  The plug body needs to be redesigned for that to happen.  I had my power panel with me so put the old quick clip on.  The engine started on first flip but quit instantly when I took the battery off-lights out!.....Put an Enya #3 in and went about my business..

Dave

So....I normally use a Dubro or Chinese "push to release" type glow plug clip or a clothespin style on profiles or combat airplanes so I didn't notice that. Not sure why McDaniels doesn't fix that. It warns you in the instructions that you need .100" clearance between hex section and washer or it won't lock. This is a problem with some other brands of glow plugs as well. There's an easy fix; Sand or carefully grind about .010.-.020" off of the outer sleeve of the  tube on the McDaniel driver and presto; it now works on any glow plug. I checked just now with a modified one and it locks on perfectly.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here