News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:36:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converting RC aerobatic to CL  (Read 2178 times)

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Converting RC aerobatic to CL
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »
How many have converted some of the RC aerobatic kits (ARF/BOM) for CL stunt?  Richard Olivers post about the Giles 202 he has been flying caught my interest (if for nothing else as a engine test/bad weather plane).

Thanks,

James
AMA 491167

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Converting RC aerobatic to CL
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »
James: Check my post on the Uproar. I don't know how aerobatic it will be, buts it's a Tower R/C kit I converted with a few modifications. Kit cost 45.00
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »
James,
What about the "Score", a ARF for control line.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »
A club member just got an ARF Vector. Even had the cowl carved. Actually, except for the novelty, seems most of us would be better off working our way through the CL Arfs, seeing what we can do with them. Although Richard Oliver's post about the RC 3D Pattern plane converted to Stunt was high praise indeed. What's he going to fly at the NATS? His post said that the conversion was the best stunt ship ever.

I have three ARFs sitting on the shelf now. Having built three or four sport planes since acquiring the big boxes. About to break down and put one or two together. Nice to get wood planks with my name on it.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 07:10:20 PM »
Jim

I am about half way thru a Katana-mini conversion, same plane Frank Williams did. I'll be starting with an OS .30 surpass 4 stroke.  I started befor I saw Franks insides, but we both came up with similar control system solutions. Probably the most difficult issue in the conversion is the fuel tank location. Frank did a metal tank in the engine mount box, I did a clunk behind the firewall. Was difficult to find one that fit but was able to find one from a Hobbico RC twin kit that worked. I won't be flying for a bit yet as I'm midway in a Vector 40 project and want to finish that first.  I'm a little leary of small airplanes but I figure if it doesn't work, I'll just convert it to RC and have a dynamite flier. In RC I convert the opposite direction most people do, I go electric to glow and get some stupendous fliers.

bob branch

Offline Kerry Ewart

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 05:03:08 AM »
I to have been reading that report with some intrest and after being out of it for 5+ years i got onto the "ACRO-50" 715 sq in and bear weigh 40 oz so with a saito 56 up front should be 65 oz or so.
It is very well built moulded skin fuse aka "Al rabe" style and is straight and ok stiffness wise for an open frame.
Well worth a look i think.And at $189.00 Au a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6056751443&sspagename=ADME:B:RTQ:AU:1

I may even leave in the 1.5" dihedral just to be different.
Kerry

"If you cannot beat them!JOIN THEM.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »
Just a comment on dihedral in rc planes. 3D planes will have zero so its not an issue. Scale aerobatic planes will have zero measured onthe top of the wing. The dihedral is accomplished by the wing becoming thinner as it goes towards the tip and the decreasing thickness of the airfoil is all on the bottom.  The effect then is the stability of some dihedral but none actually being there to interfere with leadout issues. BTW, full scale aerobatic planes like extras, sukoi's and edges are built this way as well.

How this plays out in stunt control issues other than the pure 3D planes which have none is beyond my ability to predict. Someone with more knowledge will have to input on that.

bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here