News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control Horn(s) for Cardinal??  (Read 1097 times)

Offline MrSteve09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Control Horn(s) for Cardinal??
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
Hey Guys,...

Now that I've completed my profile Cardinal, I've begun construction on the Cardinal Evolution.  This is my first full fuselage stunter!!  I am trying to locate and purchase hardware for the plane.  Specifically, the elevator and flap horns. 

I've searched through CL Central website and looked at all the Tom Morris hardware.  There is just so much of it I don't know what to buy??  For a .46 size plane is it safe to use 3/32 wire horns or should I use 1/8 wire??

What's with all the different angled control horns??  I was hoping to get just straight simple control horns.  Do I need angled control horns??

I welcome any help or advice.  I've got the wing nearly framed up and I'm almost ready to install the bellcrank.  at this point I'd like to have in hand (or at least know) what control horn will be used.

Sincerely,
Steve T.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Control Horn(s) for Cardinal??
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »
Don't the plans tell you what size wire was used on the original? I'd be surprised if they didn't specify.

I think the plane you're building is a full fuselage version of the Profile Cardinal?  If so, 3/32" wire is enough, especially if you bend them fairly short (keep the arms close to the root of the flap).  The "Dogleg" arms are the way to go (corrected geometry, with right angles to all pushrods). Always use an adjustable horn at the elevator (i.e., slider setup). With these, you have to order the slider block separate...and you're likely to lose one or two during construction. The CLC/Tom Morris hardware is good stuff.  y1 Steve
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:54:45 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
Get in contact with Windy.  As he supports Brodaks, he may be using all Brodak hardware.  Now sthat I think of it, have you checked his site for the hardware? But, if building from plans shouldn't the info be on them?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:52:31 AM »
Hi Steve,

Brodak sells a bunch of Windy products, like his bellcranks, and clamp mounts, but I'm not sure about horns.  We use 3/32 horns even up to the big ships since they are tweakable, but with the 1/8 wire, you can't tweak them so you would have to put a trim tab on the wing if the wings weren't level.  Good luck with the Cardinal Evolution H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Try Control Line Central...at

http://www.clcentral.com/default.asp

They have all sorts of control horns for just about any application you could possibly want, including bellcranks with leadouts already attached and adjustable control systems.

They are very nice people to deal with and can provide a wealth of info about control systems.

Check out thier website.

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Jim Snelson

• Lieutenant
    • Control Line Central
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
If you just let me know wat plane you are building I can build a control system for your airplane or tell you which items we recomend for your particular airplane. I see you are working on a Cardinal and I know I have the specs for it as I have made alot control systems for them. I have specs for many of the popular airplanes  and if I don't have the specs I can help you figure out what you need.

You can call me at the shop most evenings or weekends. The number is 505-332-8007 or you can email me at clcentral@msn.com and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Right now I am out of town until the midldle of next week for New Years visiting family and some work items I have to deal with for my "day" job. So just be patient if you call and leave me a message and I will call you as soon as I can when I get home.

Jim Snelson
www.clcentral.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here