News:

• May 19, 2024, 02:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Contest Flying Fields  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Contest Flying Fields
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:10:34 PM »
Hi guys,

I live in Fresno, CA area, we fly at People's Church. People's Church has quite a large area to fly. The Golden State Contest has been flown at Clovis Schools. I have been told that the school doesn't want the contest there anymore. I guess my question is, How many flying circles is needed for contest's, how much notice is needed to set up a contest-are the people that ran the contest still available to help? Many years ago (showing my age) I belonged to the clovis control line club. They used to put on the Golden State Contest. I would love to see the contest back in the Fresno area. I would appreciate any input. Yes, you are required to belong to the AMA to fly at people's church. There is a group flying Sunday's from 2 till 5, also some of us retarded guys fly on Tuesday's from nine till we quit. Come bye we would love to have you come out and play with us.  Thank you again, Gary (559-299-1976)

c
Gary Anderson

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Contest Flying Fields
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »
  How many circles are "required" for a contest ?  For many years I flew at contests in lubbock and Amarillo TX  that had only one circle.  No extra practice circle either.  You had to be ready to fly competition when you arrived.  They ALWAYS ran Stunt, Combat, and Rat Race.  Things were NEVER allowed to drag.  If you were not ready to fly when called to the circle, woy lost that flight.
  It really is relative to the number of entries and events to be expected and run.  An extra circle to practice/warm up on helps, as it can also be used in case of more than anticipated entries.
  I finally got the Amarillo TX  field expanded to four circles (one paved).
  When I moved to Wichita KS, we had  two circles (one paved) until 1979 when we got our new "city provided field"  which has TWO paved circles (Donuts) and THREE grass circles with cement center spots.  Model heaven!!

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:15:16 PM »
Gary, the largest issue I see trying to hold a contest in a church parking lot is church services conflicting with flying on Sunday. Suppose you could have a PAMPA class only contest on a Saturday.

You can get away with two circles but 3 is easier on everyone and gives the pilots a place to fly a tune-up flight if needed during the contest.

Good luck

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
I remember that back in the mid 60's Lawrence KS fair grounds had two circles for a Saturday contest.  We would fly Rat Race, Stunt, Scale and Combat.  No Sunday events as Sunday was for Church.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here