News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Composite construction  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
Composite construction
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
I'm trying to get this all straight in my head. What materials would be included when talking about composite construction? Carbon Fiber, plastic, fiber-glass, foam, others? What would non composite include? Wood, metal, various coverings like silkspan, etc.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Composite construction
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
Actually, by definition, a balsa silkspan wing is a composite structure, as is a foam core sheeted wing.
however, typically people are refering to composite construction as either molded or vacuum bagged components,,either epoxy and glass, or epoxy and CF
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
What Mark said!
David Johnson
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
Dang. This thread died way too young. Basically, I'd say that "composite" means the combination of two or more materials into a sammich (sic) to optimize the structure. Such as, for example, "laminated dog crap", or just one layer with an epoxy binder.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »
Steve, come on now, we all know you just posted so you could quote the "laminated dog crap" line,, sheesh

basically the definition for a composite structure is the combination of two dissimilar materials used to create a matrix which takes advantage of the best of each materials properties,,
or according to Wiki-know-it all,,
composite materials are,,,, engineered or naturally occurring materials made from two or more constituent materials with significantly different physical or chemical properties which remain separate and distinct at the macroscopic or microscopic scale within the finished structure.

oddly enough no mention of laminated dog crap or even multilayered dog crap,, was listed,, there was not even any mention of dog crap in a paper bag on the porch lit on fire,, perhaps you should do your civic duty in your retirement time, and update the wikipedia definition to more accuretly define this?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Steve O ,,
in case you want to update the listed definition,,( or incase you normal folks should want to look at it yourself) here is a hotlink to the site,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_material
It is fairly comprehensive in talking about quite a few different applications. Interesting reading for sure,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:32:59 PM »
oddly enough no mention of laminated dog crap or even multilayered dog crap,, was listed,,

Mark, you weren't persistent enough.  Just one click away is the page for perhaps the oldest composite material known to man, Wattle and daub: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattle_and_daub

Wattle and daub (or wattle-and-daub) is a composite building material used for making walls, in which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:52 PM »
Dang. This thread died way too young. Basically, I'd say that "composite" means the combination of two or more materials into a sammich (sic) to optimize the structure. Such as, for example, "laminated dog crap", or just one layer with an epoxy binder.  LL~ Steve

Now Steve  it seems that to be a real composite..the laminated dog crap would need another substance in the matrix of the composite...maybe with bounty towels...
birch ply....saran wrap....or such.. :-)

Randy

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
Mark, you weren't persistent enough.  Just one click away is the page for perhaps the oldest composite material known to man, Wattle and daub: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattle_and_daub

Wattle and daub (or wattle-and-daub) is a composite building material used for making walls, in which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw.
Tim
again well played,, I missed that, however I did see the reference within the host article regarding wattle and daub, however I am not so sure that it qualifies as actual LAMINATED dog crap,, its more a semi homogonious mixture  rather than a strict lamination. As you know, laminations are represented by striations of material, Whereas Wattle and Daub is not a lamination but rather matrix similar to an epoxy and resin matrix,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »
True.  But if you used two layers of wattle, with daub (made, of course, from dog dung), then it would be "laminated dog crap" in the same way that we might talk about "laminated epoxy composite".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
No wonder you guys are not ready to fly yet.   Spring will be here before we know it and I will still be working on a canopy.  Have went thru two bottles already and am going to try a smaller bottle. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
Hey Derek !!!  They are using your quote again about the dog crap......better jump in here..... #^

Mike

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
May I be permitted to return to Elwyn's question for a moment?

If you apply Mark's definition strictly, applying glass or carbon fibre to the nose of a model is composite construction.

Similarly, I regard Dee Rice's very clever moulded balsa skin wings that were written up in Flying Models a couple of years ago as composite construction as well.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »
Geoff, technically, silkspan over balsa with dope is a composite construction method..
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
Agree, Mark.  H^^

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 11:57:46 PM »
Exactly.  H^^
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here