News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COMPETITION PRECISION AEROBATICS IS NOT A HOBBY HORSE- BUT A SPORT  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
BOM!   WILL NEVA-EV-AHHH' FLY AND ALWAYS BE A HASSLE  AS LONG A WE TRY TO CALL OUR COMPETITON SPORT OF AEROBATICS----- A HOBBY!

(Hummm????....after reading all this....MY! OOOOH MY!!!

(In sort of a sad way....it appears that we shall forever until the end of time, to continue to FLOG THAT POOR OLD DEAD HOBBY HORSE...DA' BOM!
N'FOREVER MORE! n~ n~ S?P

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:57:49 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: COMPETITION PRECISION AEROBATICS IS NOT A HOBBY HORSE- BUT A SPORT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:54:32 PM »
Shultzie, I have the hardest time trying to decipher your posts. What are you saying? If you're seriously saying CLPA is a sport, it's not. it's a HOBBY. Just ask my wife. ;)
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:13:59 PM »
Shultzie----------are you off your meds again?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 09:18:44 PM »
Hey, if CLPA is a sport then maybe the world champion can be named Sports Illustrated's athlete of the year. Kinda  like Golf when whats his name was named athlete of the year. Go Figure!  I do believe most semi healthy people can walk eighteen holes of golf and swing a club. Does not make them a athlete. Skilled perhaps but athlete, No!  Is checkers and chess considered sports?  Maybe we will start seeing more of these Athletic events in future Olympics.  While we are at it how about knitting as well. 

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:32:14 PM »

(In sort of a sad way....it appears that we shall forever until the end of time, to continue to FLOG THAT POOR OLD DEAD HOBBY HORSE...DA' BOM!
N'FOREVER MORE! n~ n~ S?P

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:34:09 PM »
 LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Frank Carlisle

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »
Did you write this before or after flying kites. I call this hobby a sport because I am too old to call it anything else. They also say pool is a sport and I think they mean a beer bust. I call anything that is a competition a sport. I even call the wife an old sport HB~>. we all know shultzie is suffering from paintademia so let the poor guy say what he wants, after all he has been around long enough to have invent a whole bunch of stuff. We love ya Shultzie even if we don't know what the h?@2 you are talkin about. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
OK! GANG OF GRUNTS....I RESEMBLE ALL THESE REMARKS... n~ ???

After reading all the reactions to me calling CLPA a sport...instead of a HOBBY-HORSEY THANG which in truth will forever remain just a hobby, until we can no longer be SADDLED AND YOKED WITH THOSE TACKED ON...BOM RULES H^^ LL~
Hummm...SPORT just doesn't cut it...huh?

Here is what Dr. Dictionary says about HOBBY AND SPORT!

Pretty scary and sobering thoughts....hummm? No wonder we have a  VD~ of a time trying to put labels on things ~^

You folks are right....After flying competiton kites in both choro and pattern, I feel that no flying competition should be saddled with purty-points. LL~ S?P S?P H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »
 Shultzie;

I understood what you said PUUUUUURFEEECTIDDDABBBLY the first time around, but what the hey we think alike.

BW@ BW@ BW@   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~   BW@ BW@ BW@

"G-Man"
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »
 #^
Which proves...

"Don't let yer babies grow up to be Caaaaboys' or stunt flyers! H^^ LL~

Thanks "G Man!" All of you guys taint' heavy....cuzzz U my brotha's in balsa and paint fumes. :X
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 07:29:22 PM »
Donny,

I guess it sort of depends on how you look at it. To me, football is a sport, baseball is a sport, track and field is a sport, basketball is a sport. They are athletic endeavors in which one team is tested against another or against the clock. To me, golf is a pastime as is billards. Obviously, a lot disagree. Tiger Woods makes a lot of money from what I look at as a pastime. But then, I think golf is evil but that's me. Go figure.

I see model planes as a hobby. Can be an intense one that takes way too much of my time sometimes, but still a hobby. But as I say, it depends on how you look at it. I play computer games (also too much). To me they are just that; games. Some make money from it and there are big dollars in online competitions, but it's not a sport. I used to play the game Magic: The Gatherings competitively. And the competition could be quite fierce. Believe me, flying model planes is nothing compared to a high level regional Magic tournament when it comes to high level stressors. But it's not a sport even though some guys make a lot of money at it (from competition purses).

So as I say, it depends on how you look at it. Truth is, I don't care all that much. The local scene isn't likely to change much. Outside of a couple of guys like Leo (who is clearly off his meds), few around here want the nature of the thing to change much. If a guy uses a wing from Bob Hunt or whoever, so what? He built the rest of the plane and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't much care when guys fly ARFs, either. I'll admit that I like things the way they are, more or less. If it changes; the BOM goes away, we're invaded by a cloud of ARFS, this hobby becomes a spotlight sport on ESPN, whatever, I'll take a look and see if I still want to do it. If not, I guess it's back to computer games.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
NICE POST RANDY!
Thanks for sharing your perspective.....about our addiction to our HOBBY, HOBBY SPORT...OR SPORT our what ever punches our buttons.
Enjoying and Flying Toy Airplanes....is still the glue n' goo that keeps all of us going round and round.
Again.. brotha Randy
AMEN!
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
Since poker is on TV now,is it considered a sport? I can give a rats #$% about watching poker on TV, golf is a short second,is it a sport?.dont really know,depends who you talk to. I think some tv exposure would really help grow this sport or hobby. How about the worlds? or nats?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
What is a hobby, to me when I was much younger it was a hobby.  I would build and go fly when I could.  I attended a few contests as mostly a spectator in those early years and even entered a couple.  It ceased being a hobby when I was finally out of school, working a full time job and helping my Mother raise my little neice.  I was building planes for competition and getting out when I could to practice.  Going to different contests to try and do the best I could.  Now I call some of it a hobby because I fly stuff that does not have events for it.   I also still build stuff for competition, but, not like I used to.  The only event that I fly/compete in that I say covers both hobby & sport is stunt or Precision Aerobatics.  I still like racing and carrier, but, not as serious as I used to be.  Sure some of the events did away with the BOM and people say that was the down fall of the events.  I say they just got too competitive for the average person.  Stunt with the PAMPA classes is the one event that most anybody can get into without too  much effort.  I know a few people that if it weren't for the ARF/ARC would not be flying as they have no where to build or finish.  Ask the guys that live in a two bed room apartment with a family.  My opinions, so lets have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 12:01:18 AM »
Building is Hobby, flying is pure sport.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
Actually anything that involves competition is a sport. We get things mixed up by considering sport to be something that strength and sweat are inherant to.
A hobby is doing somethig like crocheting doilies or working jig saw puzzles.

IMHO control line flying is more an obsession driven by compulsive behavior.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
Actually anything that involves competition is a sport. We get things mixed up by considering sport to be something that strength and sweat are inherant to.
A hobby is doing somethig like crocheting doilies or working jig saw puzzles.

IMHO control line flying is more an obsession driven by compulsive behavior.
'Opps!!! Sorry Franky...WRONG!
My wifes mother won 1st prize at the Puyallup Fair...with a crocheted table cloth...and also noticed in the paper a few months ago that there are "timed puzzle put together contests at many Senior Citz's where the winners get all sorts of prizes from local Tacoma merchants?
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here