News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Come on October!!!!  (Read 2431 times)

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Come on October!!!!
« on: July 08, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »
Couldn't help myself and just simply had to get one.

After writing a post of how much I wanted to stay away from a Ringmaster cause everyone has one... I went ahead and supported my local shop ( Hobbytowne USA in Baton Rouge) and bout me the Brodak S1 Ringmaster ARF.

I thought about it for the last few days. And told myself that I don't have the time to build and finish and learn and practice the pattern of Beginner and OTS before the Charlie Melancon event in October. So I got me one of these.

It seem very very well built. Zero wrinkles.

I'm going all nostalgic and with bolt the Fox .35 I got from Dane ( thanks again) to it.

All I need to get now is a tank and a set of lines...props..fuel... and I'm good to go!!

Love this forum!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Come on October!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »
I always like to share my friend. I just aquiered an ARC ringmaster. Funny story. ... well to me and Charles I hope. .. lol.
Any who, you and I can fly together in spirit. I may get time next month to finish it. Then bro Fred and I traded engines.  So I will try a little 4 stroke powered ringmaster.

Good thing about this forum, you can make friends you may have never been able to meet!

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »
Got that right!!
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:46:52 AM »
Beware of the dreaded Fox burp when mounted on a Ringmaster.  After almost destroying a Fox powered Ringmaster I went to the classic fix for the Fox burp - OS Max 25 FP.   LL~   LL~
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:38:10 AM »
Welcome to the club!  My advise is to incorporate a CF tube into the pushrod. I didn't much care for the 2-piece, soldered-together option. Also copy the elevator horn with some 1/8" ply but make it 1" to slow the controls down.

Have fun!

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »
I used a full length music wire push rod with a carbon tube glued over it, very stiff. I would also recommend almost any other engine than Fox35. LA25, Brodak25, Veco19, Fox19 big block lots of good options.

MM

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 05:44:13 PM »
Yea I'm not too excited about the pushrod setup that came with kit. Will come up with something different for sure.

Engine wise..... I'd like a Veco.29 but have the Fpx.35 and a Enya.35 but that Enya is bigger and heavier (so it seems).

What is this Burp yall speak of. I've always heard yall mention it on here but never knew what it was.
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »
Also to mention.. have a couple of Fox .19's as well
Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 06:52:41 PM »
     Hey James,
                   Have you been to the new field the BR BI-LINERS have in Zachary? If not give Brent Rogillio, John Blanchard, Gill Causey, or Steve Millet a call. They would be glad to work with you!I'll send you their PM.
      Doug

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 08:17:57 PM »
No sir haven't been to that field.. in fact last time I went to Hobbytowne was the morning they were tearing up the old circles. But on a plus side to that day. Met Gil and Perry at Hobbytowne :)

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
When the Fox35 is on a profile it will loose power or flame out all together in an outside maneuver. Most of them vibrate quite badly also.

MM

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 10:14:50 PM »
When the Fox35 is on a profile it will loose power or flame out all together in an outside maneuver. Most of them vibrate quite badly also.

MM
[/quote

I sure hope to witness this phenomenon some day. I have yet had that to happen in 30 some odd years of operating Fox.35's. Flew several flights today on two different airplanes and even when the one was sloppy rich (retread pilot just returning to C/L and new to him engine) while finding the correct needle setting and solving a few other problems, it never even hic-upped. Neither engine exhibited anything close to the "Dreaded Fox Burp." The only Fox .35 that I ever saw that gave any hint of this was on a friends "Flap Streak" model. A Top Flight Flite Streak, but with a box type full fuselage, and engine mounted inverted. An older style Fox with no muffler ears. If he ran it too rich, it would sound like it completely shut off on outside squares bottoms, but always pick back up half way across the bottom. I never, ever saw it shut off. I've been flying stunt in competition all over the country since 1987 and don't remember anyone else having this problem either. If I'm that lucky, why didn't I win Mega Millions this week?????
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »
All the posts on the B U R P  seem to go for the TANK centerline 1/4 in High , for side mounted Fox 35s . Then No Worries .

I lie awake at night having nightmares about pushrods joined with a soldered brass tube .  :##
You Cant tin the inside before plugging the wire in . Maybe you COULD ! All Pre Tinned , heat & GO .

But better to lap the two wires 1 1/2 or 2 in & bind & solder for adjustment . If you want adjustment. or 6 in to stiffen ' the bow '
Id be thinking the tube would fold at the center on a 40 Schneurle at the bottom of the wingover or hourglass in a gust , and youd auger in .  %^@

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
Here's the Fox I have.. not sure it makes much of a Difference.  But the compression is pretty damn good!

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »
     That looks to be the "shiny case" version of the Fox.35. In years back when Fox racing was gaining in popularity, this was one of the desired versions to have, if I remember correctly. Notice the front of the head is clean compared to the rest of the head? It's been sand blasted by dirt and grit in the prop blast while sitting waiting for launch! Bench run it with a 9-4 or 9-5 prop to see how it handles and needles, with no muffler. If it starts, needles easy and holds a setting, and the exhaust comes out clean and clear, it should be broken in. A couple of tanks of fuel should be enough to tell. Mount it solidly on metal plates between the engine and the mounts, and with the tank slightly higher than the center line of the engine, and you should be good to go. Start out with a 10-5 prop and experiment with the different brands, maybe even a 10-4. The perfect prop for that engine is the one that works the best! When you settle on a prop size and brand, get six more for your flight box.
    Good luck and have fun,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »

MM
Don't tell my Fox's that.   I run them on the bench long enough that they will hold a fast 4 stroke in the air.  Then I finish breaking in in the air. VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here