News:

• May 07, 2024, 10:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: colors of the 58 ATOM  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Alan Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
colors of the 58 ATOM
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:05:16 PM »
what color green was Art's  Atom. lending edge looks like dark green or black as seen on stunt news. body looks like a mist green or mint green.
ALAN E BUCK

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
Re: colors of the 58 ATOM
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:16:10 AM »
Hi Alan.
I can give you some info on Art's 1958 Atom. Get the October 1997 issue of Flying Models for better pictures even though they are black and white. Most pictures of the Atom are washed out from age or overexposed from the sun. The actual green color is the same throughout the entire airplane and the wing, stab, and rudder leading edge is black. I had the original canopy from Art's atom and the green on the inner surfaces (canopy was glued on and not blended in) was not sun faded. The color match is 1977 Ford Color Code 7T, Medium Emerald. I used Ditzler DDL 2913 Acrylic Lacquer mixed 50/50 with butyrate dope and a bit of Flex-All plasticizer thinned to spraying consistency. The remaining trim colors are the very obvious White and the Gold aft of the black separated by a thin  green line. This should be good info as I built the replica Atom for the magazine with info from Fred Carnes and Art Pawloski. I am from the Detroit area and flew stunt back in the 50's and never could beat Art, Rod Pharis or Tom (Jim's brother) Ebejer.

Don Boka.

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »
Hi Don,,
Thanks so much for the reply on the color scheme.  A friend and I are getting ready to each build one of
these models and we wanted to paint with the original colors. I appreciate taking your time to response
to my questions.  Thanks again,, Alan
ALAN E BUCK

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
Hi again Alan.

I understand there is a discrepancy in the wingtip rib jig and fuselage sides as pointed out in the past by Tom McClain. I did not find this to be the case with the plans I used so possibly an error got in there somehow. Something like 1/4 inch so be sure all centerlines are the same height to the top of the fuselage sides. Keep it light  but not to the point of sacrificing strength. Build it to fly, not to survive a crash!!! Flap to elevator movement is different than today but is for under 40 ounces with the thinner airfoil of the time period. A Fox 35 works well but an Aerotiger is better!!!! Make the landing gear longer to clear an eleven inch prop.

Enjoy!!!

Don Boka.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here