News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:57:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CLOSE UP LOOK at Paul Walkers IMPACT  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
CLOSE UP LOOK at Paul Walkers IMPACT
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Go to the "Building Techniques" and check out close ups of Paul Walkers beautiful IMPACT taken last Sat. at the new SKYRAIDERS Narrows Airport, Gig Harbor flying site.
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: CLOSE UP LOOK at Paul Walkers IMPACT
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:18:25 PM »
I didn't know electric motors needed Powermaster fuel.   ;D

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »
I didn't know electric motors needed Powermaster fuel.   ;D
:Yeh Mike.....
That's just it....Paul is considering using this model...due to the difficulty and especially the high cost of shipping his batteries for his Electric powered models when traveling airlines and over seas especially.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »
Yea, seems it's is easier to ship fuel than batteries (not that either is easy at all).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:27:43 PM »
Too bad our illustrious government couldn't cough up a military plane like they did in the old days.  Of course I heard some stories about using the MATS for travel.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:44:47 PM »

Does anyone know if that's a ground-adjustable or a Rabe rudder?

Kim Mortimore
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »
I've never seen PW use a Rabe Rudder, tho I'd almost bet $ that he's tried it. Anyway, my money says it's ground adjustable, like all his Impacts, Mustangs, and B-17's that I've seen, photographed, launched, and judged.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »
I've never seen PW use a Rabe Rudder, tho I'd almost bet $ that he's tried it. Anyway, my money says it's ground adjustable, like all his Impacts, Mustangs, and B-17's that I've seen, photographed, launched, and judged.  y1 Steve
Yep...take a close look. When looking straight down on the model...it would appear that the offsett is very very minimal...say???? Not over 5 degrees or maybe even less.

Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
There is provision for a Rabe type wiggly rudder on the plane. Paul has never used it, but it's there ... just in case. The rudder as is is statically adjustable.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
"Too bad our illustrious government couldn't cough up a military plane like they did in the old days.  Of course I heard some stories about using the MATS for travel.  DOC Holliday"

Too many budget cuts, and congressional oversight these days!  AMA arranged traveling MATS as a "Representative of the NAA" was no biggie in 1964.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:50 AM »
There is provision for a Rabe type wiggly rudder on the plane. Paul has never used it, but it's there ... just in case. The rudder as is is statically adjustable.

WOW! Paul doesn't miss a trick when it comes to  trim adjustability, huh?

Paul...(if you are lurking) Any chance of giving us a insight on that great lookin and flyin IMPACT of yours? H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
Just curious ... did Paul go back to his "gold standard" (the OS Max 40VF), or does this plane use a different powerplant?

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »
This is the plane I took to Spain in 2006. It is powered by a Ro-Jett 65. Prop is a 13.25 x 4 Eather 2 blade.

The rudder on this plane is "fixed". It has an adjustment that allows any offset I desire.  Most often, I desire ZERO offset

To the contrary, I have used the "Rabe" rudder on the Mustangs. They were powered with either a 56 or 72 Saito 4 stroke, and that rudder arrangement worked the best.  Most everything is adjustable on this plane. The day this picture was taken, I was experimenting with various flap to elevator ratios. The Impacts don't seem to like the "Rabe" rudder setup. You go with what works best!

As far as the electrics go, I haven't "fully" given up on them. I will work some with the new take apart electric plane, and if it out flies this gas one, I will find a way to use it, even if I have to leave $500 worth of batteries in France! However, to date, the gas one out flies the electric one.  Time will tell.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »

To the contrary, I have used the "Rabe" rudder on the Mustangs. They were powered with either a 56 or 72 Saito 4 stroke, and that rudder arrangement worked the best.  Most everything is adjustable on this plane. The day this picture was taken, I was experimenting with various flap to elevator ratios. The Impacts don't seem to like the "Rabe" rudder setup. You go with what works best!
Here are some awesome shots...from our Gallery section...(LOVE THOSE CLOSE UP FLYING SHOTS...taken at the 2004 World Championships. Also check out that awesome USA team photo.

PAUL...THANKS FOR THE 'REAL SKINNY' on that beautiful IMPACT of your that you flew last week end here in Gig haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaba!
Ya'll come back to the GIG yaaaaa hear?  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »
I knew that Paul had used a wiggly rudder on the Mustang, but I thought he had said that he had not tried it on this Impact because it was needed. As ne notes, you use what works. I had to install a wiggly rudder on a plane I was flying a couple of years ago. It solved a yaw problem I had just not been able to trim out of it any other way. And it worked great. But as a rule, I don't start with them.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here