News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear protective plans sheet  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Clear protective plans sheet
« on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:53 AM »
Starting the build this week on a Fancherized Twister. Would like to find a clear sheeting to place over the plans, I have a second set of plans but still would like to have a protection down.

Steve

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Clear protective plans sheet
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:35 AM »
Steve I use Parchment paper.  It is not clear but is translucent and you can see through it fine.  Some people use the backing off of some shrink coverings that is clear and I suppose even Saran Wrap might work.  There may be others on here that have different methods.

Mike

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
I went from wax paper to 1/4" glass.. never lookin back lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
I build with magnets.  I have 2ft x 5ft piece of 26 gauge galvanized sheet metal that I build on and use ceramic magnets.  I tape the plan to the sheet metal, lay the parchment paper over that and hold it down with a few magnets as tape will not stick well to the paper.  Then I build right over the plan.

Mike

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »
Been looking for parchment paper, where is it sold?

Steve

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
The Jury is still out on what I'm going to say but.  Remember that Dr. Paper stuff we've been discussing quit a bit lately!

Well, I came across another derivative of it about a week or so ago on Amazon.  It's a little different than the other stuff and would obviously not be useful for covering but, it caught my eye because it said it was listed as "medical Pattern smooth exam table paper, useful for Patternmaking, Drafting and Tracing.  I ordered a roll and as it turns out it is indeed very smooth on one side with a consistency nearly like wax paper (although it isn't waxy).  It's listed under Part # B06Y1815PB.

When I get a clear area on a building bench I intend to try it as a general protector for plans while building.  Not that I would use it as a wax paper.   It is clear enough to easily see lines etc. through the paper and accepts a pencil line from a #2 lead!  I really don't like to use wax paper for anything that might have a area come in contact with it that might later need to accept glue or dope!  Definitely not a good idea for adhesives of any kind.  However I think as general tracing for patterns or protection of plans it is going to work out fine!  It's fairly CHEAP also.  Same kind of rolls as the other Dr. Paper but available in single rolls 18" X 225 ft for  a couple of bucks!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
Great Planes Plan Protector -

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK313&P=ML

Good stuff, reasonable price ...

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
Great Planes Plan Protector -

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK313&P=ML

Good stuff, reasonable price ...

Dennis

Is this stuff sticky on one side?  In other words the illustration tends to indicate that it sticks to the plans.  I don't think I'd like that situation!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »
Is this stuff sticky on one side?  In other words the illustration tends to indicate that it sticks to the plans.  I don't think I'd like that situation!

Randy Cuberly

No - you tape it down or pin it over the plans.  I think "what's not to like?", but your own mileage may vary ...

H^^
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »
I just discovered while looking for some Monokote to do my numbers with for the rebuilt plane that Have a partial roll of the stuff.   I used it on one set of plans and never again as the stuff stuck to the plans. and I couldn't get it to come loose. VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here