News:

• April 25, 2024, 09:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Charging glow driver from a TP610 charger  (Read 519 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Charging glow driver from a TP610 charger
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »
Guys,
My glow driver charger died and my GE needs a charge. I have a TP610 charger for my Electric's that has a Nicad option. Has anyone done this? What delta v setting did you use and what voltage for the single cell?

Best,  DennisT

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Charging glow driver from a TP610 charger
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:20:43 AM »
Dennis,

I charge all of my glow drivers with my battery charger.  Hi tec 4 station charger , I just cut the harness off of my old McDaniel charger and checked polarity ,  soldered a couple banana  plugs and done.

I use the discharge / charge cycle option , this is a good way to check the capacity of a glow driver, as they age , the capacity of nicads decreases .  I always write the ma  that went back into the glow driver on a piece of tape on the glow driver .

If you just put on the original charger, you do not know how much energy you put back into the battery .

I set mine at .5 amp or less  , depending on the capacity of the drivers  to how long it takes to charge

I have hot shot and McDaniel glow drivers , some 4 or 5 years old
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Use a 1 cell Nimh setting. Nimh auto should work.
Vr,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
NiCd batteries, new NiCd batteries anyway, need a voltage signature formed from the beginning. Gives it longer life. Typically 150-300 cycles before it reaches peak performance. After that, unfortunately, the cell starts to deteriorate and loose capacity.
So, a delta peak voltage should be around 1.55v and charge at 1c for 1 hour. Otherwise, calculate the capacity and your charge C rating to be charged in about 16 hours. They don't like a whole lot of in between until they're a little broken in. Then the wall chargers are perfect.

Immediately after a charge, if unplugged and checked a good NiCd cell should drop to 1.42 and stabilize around there. I still use a thunder power 1010c for this type of stuff

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
The glow driver i bought a few weeks ago was NiMH. Are they still selling ones with a NiCd cell in them?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:42:50 PM »
The glow driver i bought a few weeks ago was NiMH. Are they still selling ones with a NiCd cell in them?

I don't think so. Last couple I bought were nimh also

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here