News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cessna 172 Model  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cessna 172 Model
« on: December 16, 2016, 12:39:52 PM »
I want to build a Cessna 172 model (either a CL or RC version) to hang in our CAP hangar.  I am going to paint it in the CAP colors and scheme if I can find one.  The only kit I have been able to find has been a Guillows kit and I really don't want to use it if I can find another manufacturer,  Is anyone aware of a kit out there anywhere?

Thank you
Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cessna 172 Model
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
Berkley made a 1/4A sized one (mine flew...not well), and I believe they made a larger version, which I think would work well for your purpose. But then, they were terrible kits. Plans weren't all that bad, and may be available from AMA or other sources.

I would not be shocked to find out that there is an R/C kit or ARF out there that might work for you. Maybe a tour of Tower or some of the online R/C hobby vendors would pay off. Good hunting!  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
Berkley made a 1/4A sized one (mine flew...not well), and I believe they made a larger version, which I think would work well for your purpose. But then, they were terrible kits. Plans weren't all that bad, and may be available from AMA or other sources.

I would not be shocked to find out that there is an R/C kit or ARF out there that might work for you. Maybe a tour of Tower or some of the online R/C hobby vendors would pay off. Good hunting!  D>K Steve

Thank you Steve.  This is of course just a static display but I will check out and see If I might locate a Berkley kit of it...thanks again.

Mike

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:36 PM »
Other than very small plastic kits, the Guillow's is the best choice. Use the kit wood since it is going to hang and not fly. I have built one painted to represent the one I soloed in. H^^

I appreciate it Ty.  I will do some looking around and see what I can find.  I can always go to the Guillows...

Mike

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
Mike,

If it's static, there's plenty of ARF 172's for R/C. Why won't that work?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 04:26:21 PM »
Manzano Laser works has a couple Cessna 170/172's. Pat Trittle designed a couple.  I have built a couple of his designs and they are really nice builds.
http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67&zenid=82ac404287ac8cd1d9b5402d1abed18b
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:39:57 PM »
Hi Mike,
 Depending on the size of model you want, you may want to take a look at Wendell  Hostetler's site. He has a large C 172 model available, which might be good for display. Although he only sells plans, there are sources for his kits on his site.
http://www.hostetlersplans.com/

Larry Fruits

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »
I punched in 172 into the search function of the plans gallery at Hip Pocket Aeronautics and it came up with three or four plans.  May be an option for you. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 11:09:52 PM »
Although not a 172 Sterling (back in the day) did a couple Cessna 180 tail draggers in two sizes.  The small one at 17" span and the larger R/C or C/L version, kit FS-2 with a 45" span.  Flying buddy Ken House had the 45" one back in the mid 1970's. (Hmm,..I don't every remember seeing it completed or fly.)  It would be both a nice size model to hang over head and would be a building project.  The point is mute as they are out of production.  Google relates one sold on e-bay in 2015 for $79.00  Anybody got one of them in the stash? outer zone show the plans as a down load. But they do not include a pattern plan for the parts, at least I don't think they do.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4984

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here