News:

• May 01, 2024, 03:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can anyone identify this engine?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Can anyone identify this engine?
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »
I have it listed on eBay (123252468027) as "UNKNOWN" but maybe we can remedy that?

Bob Z.

Offline BOB ALLAN

• Ensign
Re: Can anyone identify this engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »
Your engine is a replica of the 1938 B-B of 0.780 cu. in., which originated from the Bennett Electric Machine Works of Chicago, IL. The B-B was a follow on to the identical 1937 LEWIS made by the LEWIS Tool Co. of San Francisco, CA.  See pages 21 & 146 in Vol. 1 of the A.M.E.E

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 05:56:26 AM »
Hi, Bob - thanks for that informative post!
I'm not sure it's a replica however.
It was in a private collection from the early 50s.
Is there some way of telling?
I looked inside and it's really crude
I do have one very similar and it's stamped "LEWIS" in the backplate. It looks much newer and is complete.

Bob Z.

Offline BOB ALLAN

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
Bob, just quoting from the American Model Engine Encyclopedia, it says that the B-B was "Advertised as a complete, ready-to-run engine under the B-B name. Few sold. Advertised only once. No known authenticated originals. Hard to tell an original from the many reproduction engines sold". One thing I noticed is that your engine has 2 more cooling fins on the cylinder, than the one in the book has (which I'm assuming is a repro). Re. the LEWIS which is identical to the B-B (Quote)"The LEWIS was the original make of this design and casting kits were available prior to B-B's small production".

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 10:34:50 PM »
Bob, just quoting from the American Model Engine Encyclopedia, it says that the B-B was "Advertised as a complete, ready-to-run engine under the B-B name. Few sold. Advertised only once. No known authenticated originals. Hard to tell an original from the many reproduction engines sold". One thing I noticed is that your engine has 2 more cooling fins on the cylinder, than the one in the book has (which I'm assuming is a repro). Re. the LEWIS which is identical to the B-B (Quote)"The LEWIS was the original make of this design and casting kits were available prior to B-B's small production".

This last sentence suggests to me that the engine may have been machined from a casting kit, original or not, by a machinist that had a good parting tool of a size that made more fins possible, or it may have been a prototype, and the extra fins and thinner parting tool deemed impractical for production. I'd bet that the casting kits had a solid round lump to be machined into the fins. Other than that, I got nothin'.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here