News:

• May 28, 2024, 10:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodaks 2008 Flyin  (Read 3461 times)

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodaks 2008 Flyin
« on: October 02, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »
          Please note that all local rules for the 2008 bash are posted on the Brodak website.  Feel free to check in before building season rolls around.  Allen Brickhaus & Tom Hampshire, CD's.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodaks 2008 Flyin
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:13 AM »
Could you give us a bit more guidance??

All I can find are the 2007 Rules. 

Are you saying that 2008 is exactly the same?
Paul Smith

Joejust

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »
Tom, having the same problem. Only 2007 rules appear.  I have been promoting the 08 contest and have mentioned the Clown Race engine requirement change that I was told about. Need to know about this possible change.
Joe Just

PS This year I will be sending my planes with a well known Western Stunt flyer that will be driving to the contest. #^ #^ #^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:56:57 AM »
The revised Racing Rules showed up yesterday, October 23.

Foxberg went up to 24 or 25% oil, which is good thing.

Clown Race is a total disaster.  The went from any side exhaust engine .19 or less, to OS LA 15 CL only. 

Of course, the we all know that the LA 15 was discontinued.  As on today, there are none of the Bay and none at Tower, and none at the Prop Shop.

I guess a really determined competator can get anything he's willing to pay for.  There were 14 entries in 2007.  I entered in both 2005 and 2007, mainly because I could use idle F2d engines, with no new money. 

Is anybody here planning (and able) to get legal under this new rule? 
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »
 Just got off the phone with Hobbico.
 LA .15 is in stock at around $60.00.

RC version only.

Bob Z.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:54:45 PM »
Just got off the phone with Hobbico.
 LA .15 is in stock at around $60.00.

RC version only.

Bob Z.

Bob, You must be a lot more of an "insider" than me.  I went to Hobbico's site and could not find a phone number or any evidence that they do business on line.

The site just refered me to the same LHS that I confirmed had no LA enigines and no idea when, if ever, they would get some.  Their suggestion is to upgrade to one of OS's higher-priced engines, which I'm sure OS's global business plan.

In 2007, there were 14 entries under the old rules.   Do you know the source of this LA thing?
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »
As of 6:44pm EDT  24 Wednesday 2007:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPUD9&P=SM

In Stock status.  The Blue engines and the C/L version are discontinued.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 04:56:58 PM »
Just spoke with John Saunders, racing ED with Phil Spillman.  John advises that he checked this out last summer, and the blue paint LA15 is no longer available, the natural finish remains available.  Please post all information about this in this thread, as we need to run it down before building season.  If the LA15 has been withdrawn, the rules will be changed.  Tom Hampshire

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 05:07:34 PM »
Why not switch to the Brodak .25? :P
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »
  Get real Brad--- Putting a 25 in the flying clown  would be like putting a P-51 engine in a Pitts Special.
  I think a better choice if the LA is not available would be the Fox 15 BB , and add the  restriction that it be STOCK, UNMODIFIED.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 04:51:32 AM »
  Get real Brad--- Putting a 25 in the flying clown  would be like putting a P-51 engine in a Pitts Special.
  I think a better choice if the LA is not available would be the Fox 15 BB , and add the  restriction that it be STOCK, UNMODIFIED.

Bigiron
I have to agree with Marvin, the Fox 15BB is 2X the motor that the OS LA 15 is. Price is not bad from the discount outlets and it hot starts well. That rear needle valve on the LA will give you fits on a hot restart.
Dennis

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 06:03:54 AM »
I am glad these local rules have been published far enough in advance of the event to allow people to comply.

My Clown Racers are hanging on the wall, both with LA15 engines. If anyone gets desperate and needs an engine, please drop me a line.  :##

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 06:24:26 AM »
Here's the number I called - my mistake: Great Planes, not Hobbico (Unless they're the same).

Telephone: 800-637-7660 or 217-398-3630

Bob Z.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 07:47:30 AM »
I to would like to see Clown Racing go with Fox 15 ball bearing engines.  Already have them for Class II/Sport Goodyear.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 07:49:52 AM »
The thing is, this is a VERY HEALTHY EVENT, as is.  With a four year record of 9, 11, 9, and 14 entries, this a success story, not a sick event that needs work.

Out of respect for the people who have supported the event for the last four years, it should be continuied, as is.  There are many events at The Brodak with less than 14 entries that go on year-after-year.  Blowing out a popular event is just not the thing to do.

If LA 15 Clown Race is such a hot idea, it should be added as a NEW event.  
On that basis, it would probably succeed.  The current customers could use both their existing models and new ones built around the LA 15.  A win-win deal as the politicians say.

---------------------------------------------------

To Doc,

A new event with the Fox 15, the LA 15, or a choice of either, would still effectively be a NEW event.  Starting from square one, I would just as soon buy American and go with the Fox.   We already have Foxberg, for those who want little or no choce of engines. 

In Clown, the tradeoff between airspeed and pit stops is the key element.
Paul Smith

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:25 AM »
What are the dates for the 2008 Brodaks?
Steve

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 08:24:38 AM »
What are the dates for the 2008 Brodaks?

The Tuesday through Saturday before Fathers Day
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »
The Tuesday through Saturday before Fathers Day

That translates to June 10 - 14, 2008.
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »
I just came up with a great idea: GIVE A REST!!!
There is no need to turn a rules discussion into a major pi**ing contest.   HB~> HB~> HB~>

The rules are in place - deal with them. There are over SEVEN months until the Fly-In. I would find it hard if not impossible to believe that any resourceful individual could not locate a new or used LA .15 by then.
There are those in stock at Great Planes - there is eBay, local swap meets as well as classifieds and "wanted to buy" forums. You'll find what you need if you look hard enough.

OK, so they're only available new  in RC form. NO BIG DEAL. If you own or have access to a small lathe, you can make a venturi in about 20 minutes.  y1 y1

BUT, I'll go one better - if you get an LA .15 and have exhausted all possibilities of finding a venturi, I will make you one FOR FREE. The only requirement is that you are registered at the Fly-In and entered in Clown Racing. Now, there are no more excuses!!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Regarding the use of the Fox .15 - as far as I'm concerned, it can't hold a candle to the LA. A while back, I went thorough a rather large accumulation of Fox engines for a friend of mine who has a hobby shop. With over 200 BRAND NEW Foxes, including many 15s, every one was seized, mostly due to some sort of hardened preservative. Many had rusted bearings and lots of surface rust on the steel parts. Fortunately, I was able to free up almost every one but another problem surfaced.  Consistency - the compression varied all over the place - some were great, some seemed like they would not even run.  ~^

Making some simple rules to govern a toy airplane contest IS NOT A DISASTER!!!  n~ n~
Wanna see a disaster? Watch the news about California - THAT'S a disaster.   :'( :'( :'(

Just my 2 cents.

Bob Z.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »
Take a look at Profile Carrier at The Brodak.

They run two classes:

Regular AMA Rule Book Profile Carrier with 3 entries, and
Brodak rules Sportsman Profile Carrier with 4 entries,
A total of 7 entries spread over two events.

There doesn't seem to be any complaint about this and I don't any change upcoming.

With 14 entries in Clown Race last year, it's sure not a "broken" event, so why fix it?

Why not go the way of Profile Carrier and offer two classesNCLRA (like at Muncie), and Brodak Sportsman Class (with all the slow-down rules you want)?

That way, the prople who have supported the event over th past few years can enter the big game, and new guys who want to go slow can do the louinge act.  I'll even count laps for the LA 15.

---------------

No need to make venturis.   
Just make a rule that they have use the RC carb.

-------------------------

Better to debate the rules now than wonder where everybody went next June.

If there are fewer than 14 entries, I'm right. 
More than 14, you're right.

Paul Smith

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 04:05:58 PM »
Bob Z, sounds like the Fox engines you dealt with were the ones damaged when the roof blew off the Fox factory before they were put through the final checks. Fox had written these motors off to the insurance company but they somehow ended up back in the supply chain. Would bet Fox isn't real happy they are being talked about like they were new Fox engines.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 09:24:46 PM »
Take a look at Profile Carrier at The Brodak.

They run two classes:

Regular AMA Rule Book Profile Carrier with 3 entries, and
Brodak rules Sportsman Profile Carrier with 4 entries,
A total of 7 entries spread over two events.

There doesn't seem to be any complaint about this and I don't any change upcoming.

With 14 entries in Clown Race last year, it's sure not a "broken" event, so why fix it?

Why not go the way of Profile Carrier and offer two classesNCLRA (like at Muncie), and Brodak Sportsman Class (with all the slow-down rules you want)?

That way, the prople who have supported the event over th past few years can enter the big game, and new guys who want to go slow can do the louinge act.  I'll even count laps for the LA 15.

---------------

No need to make venturis.   
Just make a rule that they have use the RC carb.

-------------------------

Better to debate the rules now than wonder where everybody went next June.

If there are fewer than 14 entries, I'm right. 
More than 14, you're right.

Paul,

The rules are posted.  I don't see where anyone left a space to insert complaints, or a opening of a debate.  You can enter and follow the rules or not.  I have never heard of a situation where anyone was forced to enter a model airplane contest. 

I posted a link above to the Tower Site where you said they are not available which is only partly true.  The Blue version and the C/L version are discontinued, but the "natural case" R/C version is still in production.  Other than a carb instead of a restrictor (venturi) there is no difference in the engines.  Many different R/C engines are bought and converted for all types of C/L flying.  What's the problem??

Of course, you could buy out John Brodak and then YOU could run the Fly-In, set the rules, and eliminate Tom and Allen as CDs and do that job yourself.  Otherwise, pick up a LA 15 if you want to fly in their Fly-In in Clown Racing.  Last time I checked, this is 2007, not 1957.  Other people are n charge sometimes.

Bill Little
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:43:41 AM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 05:16:21 AM »
Get real!  Discussing rules changes is the majority of what goes on here and on other control line sites.

If more people had argued rather than just quit, maybe some events that were ruined by poorly concieved rules changes would have been saved.

This would be a very small forum if people were prevented from arguing BOM, appearance points, and the PAMPA bylaws.

I am not just making casual comments here.  I have at least a dozen engines and two airplanes which I built in good faith according to the "outgoing" rules of this event.  If this stands, I have nothing.

Do they have the power to make this change?     Of course they.   Is it wise?   NO.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 05:27:51 AM »
Bob Reeves - EVERY engine was BRAND NEW in a factory sealed box.

NO sign of external damage or water spotting anywhere.

The rust I mentioned was on virtually every unprotected steel part of the engines - needle valves, prop nuts, thrust washers, etc. And yes, I took pictures.

If you doubt me, call John Brodak - they are HIS engines. He asked me for some assistance in cleaning and freeing them because he refused to sell them as they were. Regarding the time of purchase, you'll have to ask him.

Does this sour me on Fox? NOPE!! They're still my favorite American engine.

Bob Z.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 07:15:57 AM »
If I remember right and I picked up three of the 15's,  that were in the insurance claim.  The Fox logo has been ground off the engines.  There was all different sizes on the table at Mikes Hobby Shop in Texas.  Would have taken all the 15's and a couple of 35's if the wife would have let me.  Anyway it sounds like the storage of the rusted Fox's was not in a dry area.  I have some in my basement in which there is slight rust on the shaft and prop nut.  In fact it is on several engines, but, I try and keep the innards oiled real well with the old 3-in-1 Oil.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Alan Hahn

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 07:59:52 AM »
All I can say here is with that sort of an attitude (take it or leave it), the decision is easy! I think John B. needs to check out who is talking for him.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
Before this gets out of hand.  I think John sponsors this contest like he does Intermediate at the NATS.   He has two CD's that looks like they have done a terrific job at the Brodak Contest from what I have read and seen.  The same with the NATS, he has one individual that does a terrific job there also.  Of course the three people couldn't do there terrific job without the people running and doing all the different jobs required.  Those of us that have been/are CD's and event directors know how much work there is.  Instead of complaining we need to read the rules as posted and follow them.  I have noticed that since I moved to Adv and don't fly Int at the NATS that Int has not had a rainout.  Maybe Brodaks next year for me.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 09:17:53 AM »

Clown Race is a total disaster. 

LMAO...total disaster? You're kidding right? From the looks of the results of the past 4 years it's pretty much been a 4 entry event anyway. Maybe they made the change so it would be more closely competitive. Isn't clown racing suppose to be about getting beginner entry level participation?
Going to OS 15's my son and I might try it next year for the first time.
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 09:41:20 AM »
All I can say here is with that sort of an attitude (take it or leave it), the decision is easy! I think John B. needs to check out who is talking for him.

Hi Alan,

I can understand you comment very well.  But, this is like any other contest we are informed of from the NATS on down.  A case in point would be if I came on the board and told all my friends in the NW just how stupid their rules for the P40 class of profile stunt was.  How the size of the engine doesn't mena a hill of beans and they are total morons for having such a rule.  But, that is an event they control (and is good in my opinion) and I can either fly a plane which conforms, or not fly in the event

The rules are posted (that is all that is required by the AMA for a sanction), and well in advance in this case.  This is not a case of NATS competition, nor AMA rules.  It is simply a contest, referred to as a "Fly-In" sponsored by one man in his own back yard.  I do not know the particulars for the rule change, but there was SOME reason for it.  Heck, I won't even ever fly in Clown racing.

Paul's arguments only have validity on the surface.  A common thread in all his ramblings about "money" taking over the various events.  Maybe Paul used a Nelson 15 last year at Brodak's in Clown racing, I don't know, but it would be typical. 

Point is, the Fly-In has around 700 or so official flights each year in MANY events.  I haven't been able to attend but twice.  It is less of a contest than a backyard BBQ where events are flown and awards are given.  People fly hard but fun is had.  Something good must be going on.

Final point.  All a CD has to do is announce the rules well in advance and then everyone can comply, or choose not to participate  Paul only likes things to be run his way.  He has proven that in numerous posts about events and in his "conversations" with CD's in the past which consisted more of "hit and run" tactics.  I don't know Paul personally, I agree with much of what he says and disagree with some other points he makes.  He has documented building planes "from scrap" in a week to compete in an event.  The engine in question is still in production, and changing the engine on a profile "Clown Racer" takes all of 5 minutes.  4 of which are to get the drill ready.

So........... my comments are valid.  If all you are going to do is scream "Wolf" because you can from a behind keyboard because you want the World to have stopped in 1957 then either comply with the rules or don't participate.

I have known Tom Hampshire and Allen Brickhaus for many years.  Being personal friends (and being an old Blind Hog Redneck) I will defend them very strongly.  They do not "pull things out of the air"!  Discussing rules for National events are one thing.  Voicing unfounded complaints about a local event are another.

We are NOT a bunch of kids playing in a sand box.  And, I have no ties to the Brodak Fly-IN in any manner other than having thoroughly enjoyed my times at the two events I have been fortunate enough to attend.  I just grow weary of the constant "the sky is falling and only money will win events" theories Paul constantly presents.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 10:04:39 AM »
Get real!  Discussing rules changes is the majority of what goes on here and on other control line sites.

Paul, I assure you I am VERY REAL.  Come on down for a personal visit, I have a spare bedroom you are welcome to use.

If more people had argued rather than just quit, maybe some events that were ruined by poorly concieved rules changes would have been saved.

Maybe, maybe not.  No one I ever attend school with, through getting my MA ever passed Crystal Ball 101 nor Mind Reading and Prophesy 601.

This would be a very small forum if people were prevented from arguing BOM, appearance points, and the PAMPA bylaws.

Absurd, go to SSW for all that.  We have pretty much disallowed PAMPA By-Laws here and the BOM discussions will probably be cut off soon.  Politics were a staunch NO-NO in the beginning, and I apologise for allowing all the political crap to continue.

I am not just making casual comments here.  I have at least a dozen engines and two airplanes which I built in good faith according to the "outgoing" rules of this event.  If this stands, I have nothing.

Have you destroyed the two planes?? Fitting a cheap OS 15LA will take you seconds to do.  I have seen you build a couple decent looking profiles in less than a week.  Getting a LA 15 will be simple, and someone might even give you one if you can't afford one.  Sell a couple of those dozen engines and you will be able to afford a couple of the LA 15s.

Do they have the power to make this change?     Of course they.   Is it wise?   NO.

Comedy Central is always looking for new talent.  Refer back to Crystal Ball/Prophesy 601 comment.  You "opinion" is just that.  Like parts of the human anatomy everyone has them.  So far I have noticed events like your contest where you banned electric power in OTS and another contest was set up on the same weekend to counter that move.  You may need to seriously rethink your "one man Crusade" to push you own narrow opnions.  Events die, new ones begin.  C/L will probably NEVER, repeat NEVER enjoy the popularity it had in the '50s and '60s.  I wish it would, but there are no indications it ever will.

You have a very paranoid view of any change in C/L events which has been apparent whenever you post on an event.  Electric power, etc., etc., anything new which you have always referred to as the "Doom" of C/L. 

I remember a few years ago when you came on the forums looking for stuff to make planes "just like you did" back in the old days.  That's fine, but we don't live in the old days anymore.  God, I wish it was forty years ago, myself.  But it ain't.....

You can be an informative guy with many good ideas.  But, believe me, you would better serve yourself by not expounding the whole "Sky is falling" scenario whenever something doesn't meet with your approval.

Bill Little
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 05:26:54 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2007, 11:51:45 AM »

Bigiron
When is Brodak coming out with a .15? That would take care of that.

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2007, 12:00:51 PM »
Phil - at this point, there are no plans for a .15.  n1 n1

I would imagine  ;) ;) that you will see a Brodak .60 before you see a .15.

But, that's only my imagination - or is it?  n~

Bob Z.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2007, 12:30:20 PM »
(my emphasis added)

Hi Paul,

Just couldn't let this one ride, sorry.........

Was it in "good faith" that you entered a decidedly "Beginner Level" racing event (that's what I have always been told Clown Racing is) with a NELSON 15 (or was it a Rossi??? my sources said Nelson).  Gee...... EVERY "beginner" who is trying to get involved with out "buying the event" that you always holler about has those engines lying around the shop, don't they? 

Or does every "Foxberg/Fox 35 racer) entry enter a clipped wing (oh, about 6" worth of clipped wing?)  Lightening Streak (which the CD's did finally allow) with a LA 25 (definitely not as easy to tell what's done to one of those versus a Fox 35, plus they have different size restrictors) just so that they can compete?  I understand from very good sources that you were the principal behind allowing engines OTHER than those "hard to start Fox 35s".  But I know you had the overall good wishes for the event at heart. Nope, no sir could their ever have been ANY ulterior motives there.

"Winning at all costs", I think you know from whence you speak. 

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
I'll trade 2 good LA 15s for the Nelson (or Rossi). Problem solved! S?P Isn't a clown race supposed to be for FUN?? Seriously, LAs aren't that hard to come by. Might make it more inviting for folks that don't have Nelson motors laying about or dont want to be in the ring with one...........

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 01:36:14 PM »
I'll trade 2 good LA 15s for the Nelson (or Rossi). Problem solved! S?P Isn't a clown race supposed to be for FUN?? Seriously, LAs aren't that hard to come by. Might make it more inviting for folks that don't have Nelson motors laying about or dont want to be in the ring with one...........

BINGO, WE have a WINNER!!!!!!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
Hi, Bill - VERY WELL PUT.   y1 y1 y1

Actually, it is almost comical that such a simple situation has gotten just plain out of control (I consider myself partly to blame as I should not have mentioned anything about problems with Foxes as that is not the issue) but, realistically, the Fly-In personell did what is, in my opinion, the exact and proper thing - notify potential competitors WELL IN ADVANCE about the rules. 7 months is sufficient for anyone.

Someone stated: "All I can say here is with that sort of an attitude (take it or leave it), the decision is easy! I think John B. needs to check out who is talking for him."

I do not know if the above statement was aimed at me but if so, I stand my ground. First off, I AM NOT speaking for John. I know of no protocol that requires rules changes at a local contest be put to a vote. Furthermore, I did not say take-it-or leave it. If we make a change every time someone complains, where does it stop?

Suppose I published a statement to the effect that I do not approve the rules at muncie? I'm sure I would be told that if I do not like the rules, don't attend. Good advice in my opinion.

So, a few people complain about the rules and decide not to come to the Fly-In. Maybe a bunch more will LIKE the new rules and decide to come.

The people who run the Fly-In does their absolute best to give as many people as possible the opportunity to enjoy the sport.
In a perfect world, this would happen. But-----------------------------------

Finally, the Fly-In is the biggest and most complex C/L event on the planet. Those planning and officiating it have their hands full and give their all.

They publish a fair set of rules and the competitors abide by them. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Bob Z.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
Hi Bob,

The rules are out there, they were made available well in advance.  That's all that's required.

The comment was probably directed at me, but that's fine!

WE have a case of a competitor who hollers the most about exactly what he does, himself.  Try to create an uneven playing field.  Some people do this to throw the attention elsewhere, it happens all the time.  I have been around some of the fiercest competitors ever seen in my lifetime.  Nothing new to me.  Some go by the book, some cause distractions and try to find the loop holes.  If winning an event at a model airplane contest is their biggest reward in life, I feel sorry for them.  Especially considering all the fame and fortune this hobby brings to us! LL~ LL~ **)

Looking forward to seeing more of you when you get settled in the "Other" Carolina.  ;D
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 02:26:25 PM »
Anyone who watched several clown races this year could easily see that the event was out of control.  At least half the pilots had a hard time flying the plane two up.  They were just to fast for any but the most experienced pilots.  One of the semi-final races ended in a crash of all four planes because one pilot couldn't keep up with his plane. 

Going to a cheap plain bearing, low-performance 15 is a good way to keep things under control.  Racing at 60 mph(3.7 sec/lap) can be just as much fun as racing at 80 mph(3.1 sec lap) and a whole lot easier for beginners and less experienced pilots to try.  I just wish they had allowed the TT 15 too.  One problem,  "replacing the RC carb with the venturi of your choice" is a mile wide loop hole.  The venturi should be specified as the same ID as the current(old) cl venturi.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 04:15:59 PM »
They have
3 Scale events,
4 Carrier events,
16 stunt events, but
only 2 Racing events.

Splitting Clown in two wouldn't break the bank.  They could have:

NCLRA Clown, as it's flown in Muncie, California and Texas, for those who can handle it, and
Brodak LA 15 Clown for those who can't.

Profile Carrier is split up that way, with a total of only 7 entries.
It could certainly be done in Clown with 14 last year.

That would do justice to those who have supported the event over the years, and open the door to new guys at the same time.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:06:36 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 05:15:24 PM »
If they mailed you a trophy would you just stay home....? LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ S?P

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 10:39:11 AM »
For those interested.
From Tower Hobbies:
To get an LA15 then convert to CL retaining the Rear NVA
LXPUD9 OS LA15 $59.99
LXCW98 VENTURI 5.79
LSMU31 NOZZLE 5.79
-----
$71.57

Or if one wants the front NVA.
Engine, rear cover, and front needle valve.
LXPUD9 OS LA15 $59.99
LXCW98 VENTURI 5.79
LXCR47 Neeedle valve assy 11.49
LXCF83 Rear Cover 15FP/S 3.39
LXCM44 Gasket set 15 FP/S 2.79
-----
$77.66

Or if you get every thing to do either: $89.24

Tower is also currently offering free shipping on orders over $50.
code no. 595KZ.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 11:00:12 AM »
"Anyone who watched several clown races this year could easily see that the event was out of control.  At least half the pilots had a hard time flying the plane two up.  They were just to fast for any but the most experienced pilots.  One of the semi-final races ended in a crash of all four planes because one pilot couldn't keep up with his plane."

The only problem we've had with most of the time in SCAR races is high flying.  Other then pit goofs, it has caused ALL the mishaps we've seen.  Seems the pilot's try to keep others from passing, and overtaking pilots try to get a little advantage by going up long before they have caught the airplane in front.  Last weekend after a really bad case of high flying in Clown, we instructed the pilots to keep their airplanes down to the top of a 20' high pole with a flag at the top that was on the edge of the asphalt at Whittier Narrows.  Seems like 15' alt on 52' lines from a 5'6" pilot's eye height comes out at 20.4 ft 80', and at 18.5' for 60' lines, assuming the pilot at the center of the circle.  So using the top of the pole worked out pretty good.  The pilots did a good job once they knew what was asked of them, instead of having to rely on their own judgement and adrenaline.

Almost all the pit goofs are caused by mechanics not keeping their airplane and/or lines on the ground thus snagging an incoming one.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline OnlyMeDee (Dee Tison)

• Control Line Flyer/Competitor & Freelance Photographer
  • Ensign
  • Dee Tison - Freelance Photographer/CL Flyer
    • Dee Tison's Online Portfolio (Coming Soon)
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 12:20:42 PM »
If they mailed you a trophy would you just stay home....? LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ S?P

Not Me!! (But the Trophy is a great motivator)  (PE**)

I LOVE & look forward to going to Brodak EVERY YEAR!  I wish John & Buzz could and would do it more than once a year.  (Even though I don't look forward to the 12-13 hour drive to get there).  Everything is so organized & it is so unbelievably beautiful up there at the Brodak Estate, that it's more like being on vacation than attending a Fly-In. 

Everyone there has always gone out of their way to make me feel welcome and to make sure we have a good time as well. 

My very FIRST time experiencing a CL event was at Brodak in 2006 for their 10th Annual Fly-In. (I just went as a photographer & Bob Dixon's pit crew). 
I had NEVER flew at that time & really didn't think I wanted to learn. But, when I went to Brodak for the first time, everyone took me right in and treated me like they had known me for years & that I was part of their family.  EVERYONE made me feel very welcomed there. (THANK YOU!)  I am SO GLAD that my first CL event was at Brodak or I may have never taken up trying to learn the sport at all.

After we came home from Brodak in 2006, it was only a few months later that I decided that I might want to give CL a try.  After all, I am very competitive by nature and noticed that there aren't very many women that compete in CL.  With that being said, a few months later I asked Bob if he would try to teach me how to fly.  (It's a little hard to start learning something new at such a late stage in my life since most competitors start learning at a very young age, which gives them a GREAT advantage)  But, I want to be the one who tries to beat the socks off the guys in the circle!  I also want other women to see that CL isn't just a sport for men.  So, I try to recruit as many women as I can to pick up the sport and give you guys a run for your money. 
Who knows, maybe someday...... **)   I will actually be able to fly more than the Basic pattern.  But, even if I never get beyond Basic, it is still a blast to fly what I am able to & also to see my new found friends a few times each year and catch up with what is happening in their lives. 
(Plus, lets not forget I still launch Bob's stunt ships and continue to be his one & only pit crew in addition to my photography).

Sorry..... I got carried away and posted WAY more than what I planned (all I originally was going to reply to was about the trophy).

So, with that being said; Ain't it June yet?  June is now one of my favorite months! 
Gotta go now.  Bob & I are going to Clanton, AL for their VERY FIRST  MEET this weekend, so I have to start getting ready since we only have a few days left to practice & pack.  I cant wait to see everyone in June (or sooner if you are coming to the meet in Clanton)

Dee
Smile!  You Never Know When I Might Be Taking Your Picture!
Chicks Fly Too!!! (Or At Least This Chick Does) <Evil Grin>
Dee Tison  (OnlyMeDee)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here