News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:10:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak P-40 ARF  (Read 870 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Brodak P-40 ARF
« on: August 13, 2022, 06:30:01 AM »
With regard to the Brodak ARF P-40: How many flights will the installed bellcrank and leadouts last?  So many of the ARFs seem to be good for just a couple ...  Thanks in advance!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Brodak P-40 ARF
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 08:36:52 AM »

Offline Steve Berry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 09:02:02 AM »
How many flights will the installed bellcrank and leadouts last?

All of them.  LL~ LL~

Typically the bellcrank and leadouts will outlast the airframe. But I suspect what you really mean is how long will the total airframe last with the factory installed bellcrank and leadouts. My guess is exactly one less than wherever it's at when you decide "just one more flight today."

Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 04:54:28 PM »
8.5 flights, unless the covering falls off first.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
Dennyleo

All seriousness aside, what vintage P-40 do you have?  First batch from a different builder would be about 10-12 years old, had really questionable to BAD leadouts.  My Dad's P-40 from that batch failed one leadout without ever being flown.  All it had done was been stored RTF hanging from its leadouts.  The original batch also had issues with bad leading edge radii (had to cut back covering & sand then recover.  The leadout ends had what looked like a 1/4" long shiny silver crimping tube.  In the worst cases the leadout cable only went through & back one time.  If yours looks like this replace the leadouts before flight.

The more recent batch came from a different source with far better building and with attention to detail in areas like the leadouts.  Theses have outstanding woodwork with proper leading edge treatments.  The leadout ends are copper tubes with AMA style crimp.  These look like they should last a long time...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 06:00:31 PM »
That's right Dennis.
The first batch of this ARF had a clear canopy.

I have one from the later mfgr that had stickers for the canopy windows....ugg....I replaced those stickers right away.
My P-40 has a ROJETT 51 and it flys very well.
My only complaint so far is the gear leg mounts were not reinforced and there was very little glue.
Mine broke on the first landing so I dug into the wing and rebuilt them both so the wire might bend but the structure won't come apart.
It's a good airplane.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 09:34:49 AM »
"just one more flight today."

Steve
The words that preceded most every crash I have ever had. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »
I have a new P40 ARF. Got it in the air for the 1st time about 2 weeks ago. Only about 6 flights so far. No issues so far. I really like the model. Evolution 36NT engine on mine. I also decided to use aluminum landing gear, vs the kit design wing-mounted gear.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 11:24:21 AM »
Hope you replaced the control system.  My ARF Oriental lasted about 6 flights. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here