News:

• May 03, 2024, 10:09:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak 15s  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Jim Carpenter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Brodak 15s
« on: April 27, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with the Brodak 15?  Break in time-prop size (for use in Clown racing) so ease of starting and reliability is very important, just wondering what peoples experience were.

ChrisSarnowski

Re: Brodak 15s
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
Hey Jim,

No personal experience with the B15 but remembered seeing this link about someone who modifies the B25 for racing purposes. He also has a section on breaking in his modified engine. I thought it was a good read, if not what you need.

-Chris

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~smithlw/Site%202/Brodak%20B25R%20Racing%20Engine.html

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
 I don't know yet, but I'm currently building a Keith Sandberg "Challenger" stunt model specifically for one. It will be a little while before I find out because I've only got the wing framed up at this point.

As a note I do plan to break it in by the manual to the word though. Within reason, I normally don't worry a whole lot about break in but I have found the Brodak manual process to work very well with the .40. If the .15 turns out to run as strong for it's size and be as user friendly as the .40 I'll be very happy. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 04:40:41 PM »
I dont know alot about the engine but i remember Al Ferraro posting about this in the racing section here http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21143.0 It might be of some help. Shawn Cook

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »
I don't know yet, but I'm currently building a Keith Sandberg "Challenger" stunt model specifically for one. It will be a little while before I find out because I've only got the wing framed up at this point.

As a note I do plan to break it in by the manual to the word though. Within reason, I normally don't worry a whole lot about break in but I have found the Brodak manual process to work very well with the .40. If the .15 turns out to run as strong for it's size and be as user friendly as the .40 I'll be very happy. y1

Sorry to hijack, but what prop is that, Wayne?

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »
Sorry to hijack, but what prop is that, Wayne?

Bill

It's a Master Airscrew 8x something, I'd have to look. With them I always take some thinner and wipe the nasty looking MA label off the blades. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
It's a Master Airscrew 8x something, I'd have to look. With them I always take some thinner and wipe the nasty looking MA label off the blades. y1

Thanks.  I have some 10" and 11" MAS 3 blades to try out this year.  I'm "saving" all my old Grish Tornado (hard black) props for special "classic" planes. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 07:24:23 AM »
Hey Bill,  if you have a magnifying glass you can see the size on the face of the prop hub.  At least I have to use a magnifying glass and not a microscope yet.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:07:32 PM »
Hey Bill,  if you have a magnifying glass you can see the size on the face of the prop hub.  At least I have to use a magnifying glass and not a microscope yet.   H^^

Hi Doc,

I have had to resort to an optivisor at times when the 3.0 reading glasses don't work.  It's funny, but I can still read the copywrite on the reading chart from 20 feet, but can't hardly read a book at arms length.  The one I now have has two flip down magnifiers plus a small additional "circle" magnifier that swivels on the front.  Ain't getting older FUN? LL~ LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Carpenter

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:40:36 AM »
Can we get back to the question of the Brodak 15s?

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »
The Brodak 25 does better than the 40. I don't see why the 15 wouldn't do better yet.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
The Brodak 25 does better than the 40. I don't see why the 15 wouldn't do better yet.

What do you mean? Does what better?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »

There is probably not a lot of usage history on them yet Jim. They are still pretty new and there are not really that many people flying .15 size stuff these days, at least not on this forum. The smaller planes are a lot of fun on occasion though, that's why I'm building one.

Wayne Willey

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »

Hi Jim,

I don't guess so, seems no one has really used them outside of possible Clown Racing, etc. and anyone who has used one would have probably already jumped in by now.

I would say from past experience with the Brodak engines, and knowing one of the people who probably had the biggest hand in developing it, that it should be an excellent .15 engine.  For sport/stunt I would guess some 10% nitro and a 8-4 prop running in a pretty good 2 cycle.  Similar to an OS .15FP or LA.

This place is unfortunately (for some, not others) a large bit like a club meeting.  Wandering is expected and condoned.  If there were oodles of people using .15 size engines in stunt these days there would probably be a LOT of knowledge to share, but it just isn't the situation.  Planes that small are fun but just not used in competition where the vast amount of knowledge on "engine runs" is garnered..

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 05:52:04 AM »
I myself was hoping to get a Brodak 15 to try in our Class II Goodyear,  but it takes time and money.  I often wonder how many sport flyers in control line we have out  there in this big ole country of ours.  You know the guys/gals that get out maybe several times a year and never even think of competition. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »
I myself was hoping to get a Brodak 15 to try in our Class II Goodyear,  but it takes time and money.  I often wonder how many sport flyers in control line we have out  there in this big ole country of ours.  You know the guys/gals that get out maybe several times a year and never even think of competition. H^^

John,
I'd venture at least 90% of the people that fly controlline have never entered a contest. Certainly that was true in it's heyday and it only makes sense that most people are only looking for recreational fun.
If Brodak and any of the other suppliers had to count on the contest flyers for the bulk of their income we would all be in pretty tough straights. Of course you then could satisfy those who remain by definitely knowing that they all did comply with the builder of the model rule. All perhaps 200 that remain.  Oh and I'm being cynical not argumentive.

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here