News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: British Stunters Firefly 1962 and Cougar 1957  (Read 2029 times)

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
British Stunters Firefly 1962 and Cougar 1957
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »
If you are like me.. constantly looking for Classic Models.. then these two deserve a looksy.. just for fun I scanned them. I am currently down sizing my collection of Magazines. The Cougar was published in Nov. 1957 Aero Modeller. I will have more as I go through them.. there are some cool pictures too of stunters never published. I have the text copied too for those that wish more info..

The Cougar is 45" ws... and was designed for a .19 but a Fox .29-35 would probably pull this great little guy right a long. The original used a K&B .19. and was designed T.W.J. S. Stoker and painted light blue fuse and red wing. Flown on 56-60 ft lines. Plans show a Frog 500, the perennial engine back then for Brits..

The Firefly is well known as is it's designer the great Frank Warburton. It was designed for the new 1960 Merco RH .35 and there is mention of the Glow Chief 45 for power. This model would do well in Classic.. 610 sq/in with a weight of 50 oz.. Frank says it is on the "heavy side"... and is an ideal all weather stunter. The model has nice lines and fits the classic designs of the time.. I didn't scale it.. but suspect the WS is around 56".. Published in Model Aircraft Sept 1962..

Cougar

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: British Stunters Firefly 1962 and Cougar 1957
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
Is this the one and only "skystone" posting these?  If it is I have missed you at VSC.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »
Being British, (I prefer English, being born in England, like a Scot prefers to be Scottish!) I have quite a few what would be termed classic plans from this side of the Atlantic! If anyone is interested I can send copies on a straight swap basis! just ask, if I haven't got it, I know someone who will have!!!!

Cheers    Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »
Hello Folks,

Re the Cougar, it is a very good design, have built it many times over the years. Currently flying one with an iron FP 20. This combination is an excellent trainer, enough power to give positive control to a beginner. With more power, FP 25 and up, it is a delightful little stunter. A very simple and quick build too!
  Years ago (late 50s early 60s), I saw a version with fiberglass fuselage. By a total coincidence, I located the man responsible, through an Ebay purchase. We got discussing the merits of various classic British stunters and we eventually got around to the fact that he was responsible for the fiberglass version of the Cougar. I am going to pick up some other bits and pieces from him on Tuesday, including a fiberglass fuselage! He still has the moulds and I may well get him to produce some more for a group of local lads that I am teaching to fly. The fuselages are almost indestructible and surprisingly lightweight.

Andrew Tinsley
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:44:56 PM »
I have  vey twisted Cougar in my workshop, it was given to me a few years ago. It might be quicker to build a new model, than strip and straighten this one! The controls need replacing too!
Where in England do you live Andrew?

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »
I have already expressed my interest in the Thunderbolt design of Bill Morley.
What I am curious about is there plans that show updated 90's 00's construction for the Thunderbolt?

Jim Pollock, Audacter et Strenue - I guess y'all across the pond know about where that comes from?

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »
The Firefly is a beautiful airplane. F.W. did a great job
AMA 7544

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »
Jim,
there were a whole bunch of stunters that looked very similar around the late 50's, the Thunderbolt, Skiffler, Spectre and others, all culminating in the Crusader. All these designs were by Bill Morley or Dave Platt, I believe they were in the same London club at the time, so there would have been "borrowing" of ideas! I think I have the Aeromodeller with the Thunderbolt in if you want a copy?

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »
Hi Neville,

Do you have a list of plans you have for swapping?  I have 700 or so - but am always loooking for more that I do not have.

Always willing to swap.

Wynn
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
Hello Wynn,

Did I send you some plans last year? My memory is quite bad just lately!
Do you have a list I can look at then I can see if I have plans you don't! Does that make sense?  **)

Cheer    Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Rian Hogsett

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »
This Cougar by Gordon J. Rae was in a Stunt News this last year. Does anyone have plans or know how to contact him ? -  Rian

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »
Rian,

You could try contacting Terry McDonald, he writes the C/L column for SAM 35, here in England, I've had a look through our old plans list, there is nothing about that Cougar in any of them! Terry doesn't have an e-mail address just a phone No. 01332 510150. You could try sam35_freeads@yahoo.co.uk  I think he runs that site?

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »
Neville,

I would certainly like a copy of the T-bolt article!
my E-Mail is jmpollock@cableone.net

Thank you very much!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
James
Thanks for the drawings and pics. I have always liked the classics.
Oh the Couger.... wow. b1
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
Jim,

I,ve just found the Aeromodeller with the T.bolt in, unfortunately I can't scan it (don't have a scanner!) so I will copy it and a number of other plans/articles I found from that era, and post them to you! Maybe you can put them on this forum? So e-mail me your address to nevillelegg@btconnect.com and I'll get them in the post asap!

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
Rian - let me know best way to contact you and I can probably get things moving with Gordon Rae. Look out for his fab book on among other things, many of his designs. (I think I get a credit in this book, it says Peter Russell, a much better known Russell than me, but I think it's meant to be me!! Sigh. Nearly fame at last  :'( ).
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here