News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Nelson Passes  (Read 668 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Bob Nelson Passes
« on: January 25, 2024, 04:41:34 PM »
     I know a lot of members might not know Bob nelson is , but I know some of you do and would like to know. I saw on FB the other evening that he has passed away. Bob was the last of the old time modelers left at SIG when they shut down last January, and worked in the R&D Department, Product Support, and Customer Service working the phones there. Bob was the ultimate sport flyer and built and flew just about everything!! I got to know him from going to the SIG C/L contests, and he also was a big part of the KidVenture program. Bob would bring a big box of building supplies, and some special building boards and jigs, and crank out Delta Dart rubber power airplanes while seated at a table where people could watch. Sometimes he would let a lucky kid build one for himself. The rest got raffled off to kids that put their name in a can and a name was pulled several times a day for a lucky winner. He was an old combat flyer and would always bring some vintage combat models to fly and was a competent R/C builder and flyer also. Bob worked well into his 80's because he once told me "What else have I got to do!". He was care taker of his wife when she fell ill until she passed away, but kept working after that. He was just one of those guys that helped build the hobby, was a genuinely nice guy, and you just were always glad to see him and have him around. Again, just thought some of you would want to know.
    Deepest sympathies to his family and close friends,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Bob Nelson Passes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 06:48:10 PM »
Yeah, he was a fixture around Sig.  He'll be missed for sure.  A truly nice guy.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Bill Schwagerman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 06:56:02 PM »
Very nice gentleman for sure Dan. He gave my brother Dale and I one of his last tours in Montezuma. He contributed a bunch to the model aircraft hobby.

Bill

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 11:51:36 PM »
I'm very sorry to learn this.  Bob was definitely one of the "good guys", and I might add quite humble.

He really did contribute to the hobby in many ways.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 07:59:38 AM »
Dan,

Sorry for your loss and thanks for your writing, sharing the life and times of Bob Nelson.  From the sound of it, Bob was part of the heart and soul of Sig Mfg, an excellent supplier to the scratch builder, kit builder and flyer for many years.  The path from KidVenture to being an expert stunt flyer is, I'm sure, illuminated by the efforts of Bob and yourself.

A take-away for me is the "keep going" part.  While I'm just now eligible for Medicare, my attitude is similar to Bob's.  What else have I got to do other than keep going?  I can't figure out how to sign up for Medicare, anyway.

If the opportunity presents itself, consider flying some of his planes as a tribute to his "keep active" approach to things.

thanks again,

Peter

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 11:23:09 AM »
Dan,

Sorry for your loss and thanks for your writing, sharing the life and times of Bob Nelson.  From the sound of it, Bob was part of the heart and soul of Sig Mfg, an excellent supplier to the scratch builder, kit builder and flyer for many years.  The path from KidVenture to being an expert stunt flyer is, I'm sure, illuminated by the efforts of Bob and yourself.

A take-away for me is the "keep going" part.  While I'm just now eligible for Medicare, my attitude is similar to Bob's.  What else have I got to do other than keep going?  I can't figure out how to sign up for Medicare, anyway.

If the opportunity presents itself, consider flying some of his planes as a tribute to his "keep active" approach to things.

thanks again,

Peter

Hi peter;
  As far as Medicare, you want to sign up for part A regardless of what you do on your 65th birthday. There are some possible penalties if you wait. It kind of sets other things in motion once the SSA discovers who you are!!You are probably getting an avalanche of mail and phone calls about supplemental plans. Ask others you know that have been through it and see if they used a broker or not. I had a friend recommend a broker to me when I need some health insurance to cover my wife until she reached 65. Brokers charge you no fees, but get their money from the company they chose for you. They ask about your current health situation, what prescriptions you take already, and any information about chronic health issues. I don't think I had to take a physical for it either. They take that information and then pick the best deal for you. You have to renew it each year, or you can change things at the same open enrollment period. I hate dealing with that kind of stuff, and it was a big help to me. These brokers live and breath this stuff everyday. See if you can find one that comes recommended by a friend and has a good reputation, just like any business. be ready to ask questions. I don't know how the average guy, which I consider myself to be, can make their way through this. I have no complaints about mine and my coverages. It probably wouldn't be this way if the government had not decided they were going to get into the insurance business!!
       When I asked that question, Bob more or less said that why stay at home and mess with his modeling stuff when he could continue to work and get paid for doing the same thing!!  He had a valid point!!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 02:24:57 PM »
I don't remember meeting Bob.  I'm in my 80's and they won't let me do much.  Also a side note for all who plan n or is eligible for retirement I suggest you get a complete physical before you do.   Thank for the post Dan. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here