News:

• May 14, 2024, 11:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bob Hunts Profile Hole Shot  (Read 3483 times)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Bob Hunts Profile Hole Shot
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:51:33 PM »
Hello All

The Holeshot  Profile quick start plan  many of you have read about in Model Aviation is now ready for shipping

Plans are 12.95 plus  $5.95 S&H  shipped  rolled in a priority mail tube Domestic mail.

Please contact  Randy Smith at  Aero Products for info and details   www.aeroproduct.net
678/407/9376          Randyaero@msn.com

Regards
Randy

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bob Hunts Profile Hole Shot
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
Hi Randy....
Are the cores available through you as well?
Thanks

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
Hi Randy....
Are the cores available through you as well?
Thanks

Hi Rich

Yes the plane can be built  foam or wood ribs wing. The  foam cores  are  34.95 with spars, plus S&h

I also have other parts such as bellcranks  the 1 3\4 inch  spinner  and  etc if needed

Regards

Randy

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 09:14:05 PM »
Randy, can you give some more details, size, engine, etc...... Thanks Keith
Keith Bryant

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »

Hi Keith,

From what I remember, This was one of Robby's first planes.  And I *think* it was powered with either an Enya 25SS or the Webra 28, or both! :D 

Seems it was a stylized slow combat plane from someone that Bob and Robby reworked.

Maybe not quite Twister size??  The plane just before the RD-1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:46:17 PM »

HI Keith

I do not have  aspect ratios,   area , percentages or that type of detail
But the plane is as you see it it is for many motors such as
FP-25
Brodak 25
LA 25
Webra 28
OS 28
Magnum 28 32 36
FOX 35 or  25

The original was flown with a  25  and that used a 10 x 4 prop  this is what Bob Designed it for.
An LA 25 would be good   , but you can use  any  light  25 to 36 motor.
It uses  my  1 3\4 in NN Aero spinner  with 2 inch light wheels

The moments are 6 1\4 nose ..  14  1\4  tail

The span is 42.5 and the  fuse is 32 1\2 inches long

This can be built with wood ribs  or  I have  foam cores  for it

I hope this answers  some of your questions

Regards
Randy

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Randy. I will have to put the order in soon.
Keith Bryant

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
Hello All

The Holeshot  Profile quick start plan  many of you have read about in Model Aviation is now ready for shipping

Hi Randy!
Do you remember which MA that it was in? I've been digging around trying to find a shot of it to see what it looks like.
Thanks!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
Hi Randy!
Do you remember which MA that it was in? I've been digging around trying to find a shot of it to see what it looks like.
Thanks!

Hi Richard

Bob Talked about it in last months issue, if you want to see what it looks like   just go up to the top of this  thread  and click on the picture I posted of the profile

Regards
Randy

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:31:48 AM »
I remember reading about this plane.  The plan was to take a beginner from nothing to a model in the air. 

This looks like a great plane for a beginner.  Simple and straight forward construction.

However, if a beginner, a real brand new to the sport beginner, is looking to get in the air a TF Tutor or SIG Primary Force or one of the many Brodak ARFs is the way to go.  If the customer is looking at options I would wager they go with the off the shelf pre-built rig.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »
I remember reading about this plane.  The plan was to take a beginner from nothing to a model in the air. 

This looks like a great plane for a beginner.  Simple and straight forward construction.

However, if a beginner, a real brand new to the sport beginner, is looking to get in the air a TF Tutor or SIG Primary Force or one of the many Brodak ARFs is the way to go.  If the customer is looking at options I would wager they go with the off the shelf pre-built rig.

I think you could be right in the present time, Doug.

Bob drew that up for Robby back in the late '80s or early '90s.  Nothing much was available then, as you know.  Aaron talked a bit with Robby about that plane and the RD-1 back in the day.  IIRC, it was based on someone's slow combat plane...... ??? 

It is easier now to get a Primary Force or Flight Streak to tear up first, but the Hole Shot would be a great first building project for an up and coming stunt pilot.  Easy build, very good performance, and it would really allow a pilot to work on trimming and all the other things that go into flying CLPA, don't you think?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »
Is this a flapless design?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 06:18:19 PM »
Do you have any pics. of a finished model, looks good on plan, would like to see more. Thanks
AMA 874027

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
I think you could be right in the present time, Doug.

Bob drew that up for Robby back in the late '80s or early '90s.  Nothing much was available then, as you know.  Aaron talked a bit with Robby about that plane and the RD-1 back in the day.  IIRC, it was based on someone's slow combat plane...... ??? 

It is easier now to get a Primary Force or Flight Streak to tear up first, but the Hole Shot would be a great first building project for an up and coming stunt pilot.  Easy build, very good performance, and it would really allow a pilot to work on trimming and all the other things that go into flying CLPA, don't you think?

This is a great model for someone at the beginner level.  No doubt about that.

But IIRC Bob's article was about getting someone into CL.  So the reader gets the plan.  Goes to hobby shop to get the wood.  Hobby shop salesman, says, we have the wood you need.  BUT if you want to get in the air quickly here is a nice RC park flyer to wet your appetite.  It costs about $80 and you will be in the air in 3 hours tops.  It comes with an instructional video as well.

That is what this is up against.  That is where I was coming from when I made the comments about where to start.

It is my opinion that plan building is not the way to start. 

A new guy could get a Tutor and be in the air in a couple of days of work.  He is quickly being introduced to CL and the engines and lines and all of it. Sure he will crash it and if he is truly interested he will repair it and try again.  If the flying takes hold the building will follow.  Or maybe not.  Maybe stick with ARFs but the choice is out there.  I remember when I started, flying was all I ever wanted to do. The building and the want to build came later. 

I just feel the ARFs are there and they sure could be used in this manner to get people interested. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 12:46:24 AM »
The Primary force is an ARF already.  I haven't heard much about it but I kept seeing it in the catalogues.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 07:21:13 AM »
H Dug,

I agreed with you.  A true "beginner" would probably go with one of the ARFs I mentioned.  I was referring more to the time you refer to *after* they have done some flying (maybe crashing! LOL!!) and have decided that they would like to build a plane and get *more serious*.

And it IS a good point about the Hobby Shop salesman and the ARF park flier.  A real situation that can take away from getting new C/L pilots.

It does seem that most guys entering the hobby (whether C/L or R/C) are much older than guys like me who started as teenagers (even preteen) and had to build their planes regardless of whether it was c/l or r/c.  The lure of getting into the air quickly is definitely there, and understood.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 01:49:49 PM »
I guess Hunt's other point was to have a construction article.  It wouldn't be much of an article if he said: Go buy a Primary Force and glue it together..... S?P

Obviously, the ARF's have it when it comes to trainer planes to smash into poles errr the ground!   VD~

Steve
Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 02:12:05 PM »
I guess Hunt's other point was to have a construction article.  It wouldn't be much of an article if he said: Go buy a Primary Force and glue it together..... S?P

Obviously, the ARF's have it when it comes to trainer planes to smash into poles errr the ground!   VD~

Steve

HI Steve

You are correct, this is intended  to be a construction article, many will pick up very good building hints and techniques from this article, and  will end up with a great flying profile model too!

Regards
Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
I see nothing wrong with picking up a Primary Force or Flight Streak or whatever to learn to fly on and smash and rebuild, ad nausium until you can fly mostly without crashing. But as a first building project, this looks like a very good one. Easy to build and a credible performer. Can't get much better than that.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »

Obviously, the ARF's have it when it comes to trainer planes to smash into poles errr the ground!   

Steve

HAHAHHAHAAHAHAAHAHAA  Watch it!!  I will talk to the poles in your area, it is amazing how quickly they can jump out and get ya!! LL~ LL~ LL~

Heck Maybe I will build this one along with the article.  I will use my FP 25 and it will kill!! 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Eric Viglione

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »
Hey Doug - Post? We don't need no stinkin post! I hear the ARFs are also good for chasing BIRDS around your circle.   >:D

S?P

Next time the starlings, barnswallows, bat's, etc invade your circle, whip out an ARF and put on nice sharp propellor.... bwa hahhahhahhaaahhahhaa.. come here little birdy...Bwaahahhaahha..  VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~

EricV

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 03:40:39 PM »
Eric,

To heck that!  Next time the birds come around I need to just whip out the 12 gauge and show them a thing or tow.  Also we need to get load of diesel fuel on the trees near by the field and fire up their homes and rid them once and for all!!!!!!!  VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
Eric,

To heck that!  Next time the birds come around I need to just whip out the 12 gauge and show them a thing or tow.  Also we need to get load of diesel fuel on the trees near by the field and fire up their homes and rid them once and for all!!!!!!!  VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~ VD~

Its a good thing we don't have any environmentalist wackos in CL Stunt boards.  Your solution to the bird's nests sounds more like the opening credits scene in Apocalypse Now! VD~

Its too bad I gave away my FP-25 and LA-25s, maybe I'd play along with the article too.  Then again, I already have a heap of profiles sitting around, and no poles to crash into! y1
Steve

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
I repeat, is this flapless design?  I cannot tell from the pic.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Richard Grogan

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »
Hey Randy, Can you post a scan of the wing shape?
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 06:49:43 PM »
Hi all:

Yes, this is a very basic, flapless, constant chord model that was originally designed to teach new fliers to get through the pattern for the first time. It is not in any way an advanced design model. Essentially it is a very modified Dick Mathis Mongoose, which was a slow combat design from the 1970s.

My thoughts in presenting it in my new Model Aviation Stunt column were to introduce potential stunt fliers to both rudimentary building and flying skills at the same time. I know that there are many very good ARF and even some RTF models out there, and if a newbie wants to learn via that route, that's fine. I will always be an advocate of teaching building and flying skills at the same time. To me at least half of this hobby/sport is about building. 

Bob Hunt

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »
Bob,

I am sure my comments came across wrong.  But I didnt mean for it to seem that way.

I would like to commend you on taking on the project of working an article like this into the column.  It is more than I am doing right?  I like the MA layout as well.  I think that is a good modeling magazine.

Can Gotcha 440 cores be substitute for the wing on the plan?  The gotcha core has a straight LE and swept forward TE.  They are dirt cheap at the LHS here.  I got enough scrap laying around to build it for essentially nothing.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 10:02:23 PM »

Hi

Yes this is a flapless design  that has  squared tips, I do not have a picture of it, but it is a basis square wing and you can see the  fuse  shape

Randy

Offline Richard Grogan

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 09:43:08 PM »
Hi all:

Yes, this is a very basic, flapless, constant chord model that was originally designed to teach new fliers to get through the pattern for the first time. It is not in any way an advanced design model. Essentially it is a very modified Dick Mathis Mongoose, which was a slow combat design from the 1970s.

Bob Hunt

Thanks Bob. I am familiar with the Mongoose wing, it was my first scratch build in the 70s. I bet its a great flyer.
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here