News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:19:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black Tiger  (Read 3280 times)

Offline chris hornady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Black Tiger
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
    Hi all. I have a question about Robert Elliots Black Tiger. I am scratch building one and it is only my second cl model i have ever built. So my question is will the 3oz fuel tank that fits in it take it through the whole old time stunt pattern. I have a fox 35 for it and am puting a hemi head on in a after market needle valve and back plate on it. Thank you for all your help.

Chris :X

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Black Tiger
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
A 3oz tank will probably get you through the OT pattern but not the modern pattern. You'll need a 4oz tank for that.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 04:29:45 PM »
I agree with Clint.  And add that sometimes (running 10% or higher nitro) even 4 oz. didn't get through the modern pattern with the old Fox .35.......

I plan on powering my Black Tiger with a Fox .25 of the 1957 variety which needs less fuel.  If the Black Tiger is fairly light, a .25LA would be a good fit.  Not real sure, but 3 oz. should get through the modern pattern using 5% nitro with the OS .25LA.

Don Still used a '57 Fox .25 in his Stuka for the Worlds, and with the smallish size of those two planes, they are not underpowered at all with a .25 (especially a Modern .25) unless they are very heavy.  Even stronger would be an OS .25FP.  (they do seem to put out a bit more power than the .25LA, IMHO)

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline mike donovan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:14:13 PM »
I built a Black Tiger from plans almost a year ago. I don't believe the tank as shown on the plans will be enough for the old time pattern with 2 laps between maneuvers. Back when this airplane was designed you were required to do only one lap between. what I did was to remove part of former F3 so that the tank extends thru this former back to the leading edge of the wing. Of course the landing gear is fastended to this former so you will have to brace the bottom part of F3. I am currently building a new Black Tiger and the tank size is 3 1/2 x 1 3/4 x 1 which comes out to about 3 1/3 oz which is plenty for the old time pattern running a stock Fox 35 on 10 29 powermasrer fuel and a BYO 10 x 5 prop. You will love this airplane , it really flies well

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 07:16:44 PM »
Mr. Hornady,

Do a SEARCH on this site for my P-40.

Search for:  P-40K Black Tigre

T Michael Jennings    D>K

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
Always better to put in larger tank, and take fuel out.. Than put a smaller tank in and have to add more fuel..  ~>

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
BTW: Bob Bunt published a "new" set of plans in FM for the Black Tiger.  It has a revamped fuselage construction giving more room for the tank and mounting the LG in a different way.  It was in the "Classic Series".   Still OTS legal by PAMPA rules.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline chris hornady

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
                   Thanks everyone for all of the great advice. I have gotten a 3 1/2 x 1 3/4 x 1. Tank to fit in it with some modificationsso that will give me 3 1/3 oz.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
I've been making it through the OTS pattern on 2 3/4 oz of Sig Champion 10% nitro, 20% oil, half castor, half synthetic, with a Fox stunt 35. I recommend as big a tank as you can fit in. 

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »
I drooled on Mike Donovan's  Black Tiger at the Tulsa meet this year. What a nice flying plane. Mike did a fabulous job on it with period parts. His is the epitome of old time stunt, and had a great running Fox 35.
Jim Kraft

Offline chris hornady

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:20 PM »
       I am very very new to the hobby. I have a very good pilot (Mike "tools" Danford) who is mentoring me and reckomended me get in to OTS to begin with and build the black tiger as my first stunt ship. I have scratch built a little flying clown with a fox 15 to learn how to stunt on and hopefuly have the tiger going bu early next spring. I love the hobby so far everyone has been very helpful. thanks to everyone

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »
Don't forget the construction pics.  Glad you are flying CL.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:42 PM »
       I am very very new to the hobby. I have a very good pilot (Mike "tools" Danford) who is mentoring me and reckomended me get in to OTS to begin with and build the black tiger as my first stunt ship. I have scratch built a little flying clown with a fox 15 to learn how to stunt on and hopefuly have the tiger going bu early next spring. I love the hobby so far everyone has been very helpful. thanks to everyone

HI Chris,

Mike should be a great help in getting you going on the right track.  Will y'all be going to King Orange?  I haven't seen Mike in a few years.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »
I have seen pictures of Mike's Black Tiger and it is one of my favorites. Outstanding job. Here is a photo of the one I built in 1994. I used a Fox .35 and a 3 oz tank. Not large enough for the OTS pattern.  Hope to build another one someday...... :o
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline chris hornady

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »
Richard
     That is a very good looking black tiger.The thing with mikes black tiger is that the only part left is the tail section. He had a rear push rod falter and resulted in the ship turning into very many pieces. I can only hope my plane will look as good as yours. Thanks fort the advice.     Chris

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 05:19:45 AM »
Chris,

Mike Danford will steer you in the right direction and you will have fun too, most important part.. The Black tiger is a very good flying plane , Kept light enough and plenty of power , it will do you a good job in OTS and Classic .. Put  as big a fuel tank as you can in it,. I have attached a old photo of Curtis Comer's Black Tiger, he flew with Bob Elliot in the  Late 40's and Early 50's  . The kit box had the number 41 on the plane ( Bob Elliot's Plane ) , Curtis was 44 , other club members we 42, 43,.I. Curtis P 40  was built befor ethe Berkeley kit came out .

If I get around to building one I have a very nice sandcast Fox  35 for it..
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »
Thanks, so much, for that picture, Will!  It is really hard to believe that Curtis has been doing this stuff for so long, he never seems to age!  It was absolutely GREAT to see him at Huntersville.

One of the very best tings that I ever did in this hobby (to better my flying) was to come up to Huntersville one day and have Curtis coach me.  I just wish (selfishly!!) that he hadn't moved.  There are none finer to be found, than Curtis and his lovely wife.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here