News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:49:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bf 109 updates  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
bf 109 updates
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:07:08 AM »
Gents,
I really appreciate the reception my little project has had. Thought it may be time for an update. Progress has been slow as the tedious things need to be completed. I will post some pictures. The biggest step has been the cowling. It was a bit of a trial, new ground for me and all. Thanks to Pat Johnston's help in explaining a couple things about how he did his fabulous Mustang stunter and I was able to get it hacked out to an acceptable degree.
Pictures posted of progress. The first chin scoop wasnt working out, it didnt have clearance to get the attachment screws through. I was also not sure how the foam was going to be able to come out once it was glasses so I redid it in balsa, and the balsa will become a permanent part of the cowl in the scoop area.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: bf 109 updates
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:11:11 AM »
A few more details that I managed to get worked out, again thanks to Pat I fabricated the horns. A link for the other pictures for those who may come in late on this? http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=7616.0
The elevator horn is adjustable for the ratio flaps to elevators. the two button head cap screws clamp it onto the post to lock it in to place
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »
 Thanks for the update Mark, she's lookin' real good!
 I like to see you keeping the scale 3-view handy, I do the same thing, it helps keep the builder on track with the little details that help with the overall scale appearance. y1

Maybe you could give us some details on the balsa dust sucker upper thingie? I've been thinking about making something for that myself.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
Mark,

Looks very good. Pat is very good at glass cowls. He clearly is teaching you well.

Remember, folks. This is an intermediate flyer (OK, almost an Advanced flyer). And this is his first really complicated project. There are some really cool and original ideas in this plane. I'm quite impressed.

You go, boy!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:44:18 PM »
It is amazing what people can do when they set their mind to it.  Of course if Pat Johnston his coach he better do it right.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:03:54 PM »
THanks guys.
Wayne,
the dust sucker thingy is something I whipped up pretty quick when my new LCD tv started getting covered with dust. lol,,, basically its nothing more than a cardboard box that houses one of those wonderfull Wallyworld dual window fans. It has multispeeds and expands to fit the window opening. I cut out the back of the box except for a flange area, stuffed the fan in from the front side and then packed scrap foam rubber peices that I got stuff shipped to me from Ebay in. then I ductaped a furnace filter over the front and Poof, you have a dust sucker thingy.  I think I am into it about 15 bucks including the filter. It makes a HUGE difference in not only keeping dust down, but also a huge benefit in not breathing as much dust. Only drawback, when I am sitting in my stool, I cant see over it to watch tv,, so I just stand up to work. Oh and I have to turn the tv up a little louder too,,,
Today, I am glassing the cowling, so far so good.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:02:01 AM »
Mark,

Looks very good. Pat is very good at glass cowls. He clearly is teaching you well.

Remember, folks. This is an intermediate flyer (OK, almost an Advanced flyer). And this is his first really complicated project. There are some really cool and original ideas in this plane. I'm quite impressed.

You go, boy!

Actually, I have seen that the level of the pilots flying abilities does not often match his building abilities.  I have seen beginner pilots with Expert building abilities.  What I also saw was some bad mouthing of the planes at the time since a *beginner* is not *supposed* to be able to build that good! 

I think Mark is one of those.......... definitely.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:26:19 PM »
Well I got the cowling glassed, and hollowed, all in all I am really pleased with the way it turned out. Its perhaps a bit thicker than needed but for a first attempt I was unsure of how much I wanted to build it up. If you look you can see that the belly scoop has a ramp that feeds air from inside the cowling and exits that way. The inlet side is open so my hope  and theory is that the small amount of air entering  the scoop will accelerate and create a vacuum on the exit side helping to evacuate the engine bay. Still needs some fine tuning, I need to finesse the joining line and the ramp portion a bit. Then I will do some work inside the fuse under where the ramp is to encourage the air to go that direction. Just thought I would post some picts cause I am pretty happy with it thus far. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, it really makes it a positive venture.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »
Mark,

Are you sure this isn't Pat's basement? Man, it's looking good, looking good.

Oh, and, Go Seahawks! 35-14 over Washington!!!  WooHoo!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline David Miller

• Lieutenant
  • CL, RC, Hunting and Fishing!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:37:32 PM »
Yeah!!! Double woo-Hoo Seahawks. Hey Mark you have always been an excellant painter and your building skills are obviously improving with the help you are receiving. I think they were pretty good to start with as evidenced by the beautiful Fancherized Twister you built for me. If your flying skills start improving that fast everybody is in trouble. Also congratulations on being elected as our new   Columbia Basin Control Liners club president!!!!
MSgt (RET) David G. Miller
AMA 560263

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 12:26:21 AM »
I think it should be an ME 109.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 08:36:29 AM »
Randy, are you trying to start something? its a bf 109 sheesh, Willie didnt get to use theME designation till later in the war,, the War ministry didnt like him much, in fact the 109 was IIRC the 3rd or 4th desing in line to be produced, but the others sucked so bad he got the gig! Hmm hope thats not prophetic?"
I wanted to mention too, I used Urethane foam,(Randy, like the stuff I showed you last year) I prefer it for carving and shaping. I know that Pat uses the blue insulation foam to good or better effect so there are options.
Now I gotta go play with a 67 camaro, installing front end sheetmetal on a project car for my boss number two. Not looking forward to thedrive to Moscow, appears we got about 6 inchs of snow last night with wind to drift it! Hey Rancy, can I borrow your new SUV beastie?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Joejust

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 08:43:45 AM »
Marc, I really like the picture of the fiberglassed cowling that you are holding. Upside-down I think it looks a lot like a 1953 kaiser sedan! Dave Miller has hit the nail squarely on the head. You will become a factor in NW PA competition, and very soon to boot.  All you advanced guys, don't turn around! That noise you hear is Mark just about ready to accelerate up to you and pass you!  Makes me glad that  I wont have to compete against you.

Joe

PS I really do like the new 109!

Offline Annette Elmore

• Lieutenant
    • Lots of UK-related stunt stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 02:42:01 AM »
bf stands for Bayerische Fleugzwerke (BFW) - the same as BMW (Bayerische Moteren Werke).

Same way a FW190 was a FW190 but a TA152 was a FW TA152 (for Kurt Tank who designed it).

Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here