News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:36:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bf 109 phase two  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
bf 109 phase two
« on: March 18, 2007, 10:54:38 PM »
Just wanted to drop a note to all my flyin buddies and let them know, Status of the much touted,(by me anyway lol) bf 109 project, this weekend I got the wing joined, yes I rememberd to install the bellcrank first! installed it in the fuse and got the tail mounted, its all square plumb and ready to move on. next step to build up the lift struts for the horizantal tail, build flaps, bend landing gear. then its on to finish! at this point I am a touch over what I hoped for but I think I will still come in about 45 to 47oz, as she sits now its about 23 oz with rudder and elevators.
I do have a quetion though, I have been contemplating using CF matt/veil, whats the best source and what weight should I look for? The whole beast is sheeted, no open bays.
I figure I have one month to finish it up so I have some flying time before Portland though I always have the Qship as well. see ya around--- and --- round--- and --- round--- and --- round

PS finally got some flying weather, it was low 60s today, fairly steady breeze this morning at about 15 mph, gusty, tonight steady 5 mph coming from the sun,, PERFECT WEATHER got in four flights before I had to pack in for work. sigh, sure felt good to pull a handle again!

best to you all

For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: bf 109 phase two
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
Get your carbon fiber matte from RSM Distibution otherwise known as Eric Rule.

DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:20:20 AM »
Hi Mark,

I would use the 2 tenths ounce CF veil.  It is plenty!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »
Thanks gents, that is the next question I had! I assume from what I have read you just lay in on like you do with silkspan? I seeme to remember reading that the overlap goes away pretty easy, is that a correct assumption as well? Appreciate the help.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:25:24 PM »
Mark,

Looks good, man. I get CF veil from Aerospace Composites, but RSM is fine. The overlap usually goes away pretty easily after a few coats of dope. Remember, you can't put it over open bays, unless you put something under it like silkspan. But it is a nice touch.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »
Thanks Randy,
I ordered some its on the way, why is it whenevver you start out to order something, you think of tons of other stuff too, heck you start off with a 30 dollar order and next thing you know its like aproaching 100? sigh,, theres no open structure on this beast, shes all skinned. (psst, I have a new greatest plan ever for getting rid of dope,, hehe,, )
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »
Mark,

Well, with no open bays, I can think of several possibilities for finish. Everything from the Al Rabe method (all epoxy from the wood to the clear) to CF and urethane clear, K-36, auto color and Poly-U topcoat.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »
HEY! have you done this before, sheesh, actually thinking of trying Ure clear and CF. the fuse and tail is epoxy already,, not sure I am real happy that way so I am going to experiment with the clear seeing as how I have it to play with. Have you tried that before? see any problems with it?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
Just don't lay it on too thick. Pretty much what you lay down is what stays. It doesn't gas off like lacquer (which is why the EPA is so in love with it). I did a profile a couple of years ago (like, I've experimented with a lot of stuff) that was sheeted and all urethane from the wood up. I used silkspan and urethane clear on the bare wood, K-36 primer and urethane auto colors and catalyzed poly for the topcoat. worked fine but was a bit heavy, I thought. The elliptical plane on my shelf used silkspan and Polycrylic over open bays. Had to use a hair dryer to get it to shrink and I wasn't all that happy about the tauntness of the silkspan. Then K-36 primer and auto paint and catalyzed poly for topcoat. Again, OK, but not perfect.

For now, I'll stick with lacquer until I feel adventurous again.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here