News:

• May 05, 2024, 07:29:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best Plane  (Read 11518 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Best Plane
« on: April 17, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Not in general. But what is the best plane you've ever built. Construction, finish and performance? The plans you were or are happiest with. This really doesn't have anything to do with the design. Not really. Just you're greatest accomplishment. Post pics if you have them.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Best Plane
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »
It is usually the latest plane I am working on until I fly it.  As I have stated before, "Everyone of my planes need a pilot".   Really the Brodak Nobler has been my most successful with the first Mustunt I right behind it.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:42:27 PM »
It will be interesting to see the answers here and see what matters to most people.

For me it would be the best flying plane. It is always nice to have a good looking plane, but if it flew like a dog, I wouldn't be happy.

Offline Bob Whitely

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »
Miss Kell 4th place 1973 Nat's.  Derringer .46 First Place 1978 Nat's and Walker Cup winner.   Showtime 1989  Nat's Concourse winner.  RJ

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
My Chevelle that I just finished last month.  This project was started in 2000.  Got the wing built, framed up the fuse, then put it on the side.  I probably built 12 other planes in between, and then there was the 3 year lay off with Katrina.  Picked it back up about a year ago and got it to the ready for finish stage.   Got serious on the finish last fall, then after the holidays picked it up again and shot all the dope before it got too humid.  Posted pics here and on Stuka last week sometime.  Updated the thread on Stuka with first real flight report.  The long build worked to my advantage because by the time I got to final assembly I understood  the importance of alignment and how to do it..
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »
Bob,

But if you had to pick one as your favorite. The one you are most proud of or liked the most for whatever reason. Which one?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
At first, I thought, " Oh, this will be easy." then I thought some more, and it aint so easy.

So, try as I might, it comes down to 3 planes.

Dick Williams Electra. I wish I had a picture of it, but alas.

Dave Gierke's All American Eagle.

Gordan Delaneys Pathfinder L.E.

All three of these planes flew, or fly very similar. They track through the manuevers. They are "Point and Shoot" planes.

Here're pics of the last 2

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:37:48 PM »
For me it's an easy decision - my two Crosswinds.  The areonautics are basically Trivial Pursuit, # 1 was 64 oz. and # 2 was 62 oz.  They're 7 and 5 years old respectively and still fly great.  Not only that, they fly nearly identicle!
Sorry, never bothered with pictures of either one, just fly the bejeebers out of them.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
If I had to pick one, this would be it. It wasn't the best finish I've ever done (though not bad). It wasn't the best flying (though pretty good). But there was just something about this plane that makes be want to build another. It has a soft place in my heart.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Walter Hicks

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:18:25 PM »
Laser 200 that I built Saito .72  , very cool when new .

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:40:15 PM »
Only 4 planes to choose from, but I think I'll go with my Ares.  It is my best finished plane and once I work out my engine troubles it will be my best flying plane.

Matt Colan

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I really like this one, it has the cool factor!

But my Thunderbolt wasn't too bad either.

AMA 12366

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
If I had to pick one, this would be it. It wasn't the best finish I've ever done (though not bad). It wasn't the best flying (though pretty good). But there was just something about this plane that makes be want to build another. It has a soft place in my heart.
I thought sure yours would be the new super cool Ringmaster. 
What is that #5.  I really like them ellipticals.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
B-2, Though I had a lot of help.wATCHING FIRST FLIGHT WAS AMAZING. Best mosel aircraft will most lokely be the Top flite .049 hawker hurricane I built and flew around 1980 or so. I could actually get it to whip for a lap or two when I was landing....

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
My current favorite is my 1/2A SkyWriter.  Big for .049 power (30" span, 200 sq. in. wing), it's just a joy to fly.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 09:58:59 PM »
To date this is my favorite.  

This one took me to the Top5 in 2002 on my first attempt in Open.  It flys very good. When I am flying it I still think about how COOL I it looks from the center of the circle.  Even after 6 full seasons I still love looking at it from the center of the circle.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
This one.  (Okay, it ain't Stunt but it was a lot of fun.)  50" span, sliced ribs, three Baby Bee .049s.  Was a construction article, July (?) 1989 "Model Builder".
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
This one.  (Okay, it ain't Stunt but it was a lot of fun.)  50" span, sliced ribs, three Baby Bee .049s.  Was a construction article, July (?) 1989 "Model Builder".

Oh! Can we see a little larger picture of this one? all I got was barely larger than the thumbnail! Looks pretty good to me!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 02:46:10 AM »
Out of all mine, I would have to say my Brodak Profile Pathfinder powered by a Super Tigre G21/46 flies the best and therefore I fly it a lot more than any other...at the moment.     The next most favourite would have to be my 57 Nobler (Fox 35).

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Bob Whitely

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »
I reckon the Miss Kell would be the most favorite.  First time in the Nat's top five, nice looking plane and was a better flier than the pilot at the time.  My daughter Kelly is now a pharmacist and about to make me a grandpa for the first time.  The Miss Kell is soon to be kitted by RSM and I can't wait to build the kit.  RJ

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 08:44:46 AM »
Hi Walter,  I like your Laser 200, very nice. Is it your own set of plans?  Thanks,  Mike  #^
AMA 59633

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »

Mike

That is a neat looking plane - hard to believe that three Baby Bee's could handle something that large......  Was there plans for it at one time ????

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
Mr. Hyde

Dr. Jekyll

T-Rex

T-Rex is by far the best flier.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
Even tho the Continental had cool factor and the TBolt was unique I guess now that I think about it Viper 5 was the best flying airplane I had to date. At that time I was not as serious about getting involved with competition.

1990 photo

But I think Viper 8 which should be named 9 should equal it in flying and I will find out if the weather ever lets up.
AMA 12366

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

Mike

That is a neat looking plane - hard to believe that three Baby Bee's could handle something that large......  Was there plans for it at one time ????

Dalton H.

As noted above, it was a construction article in the July (?) 1989 issue of the now-defunct "Model Builder" magazine.  Plans, if still available, may be found with the publisher, Bill Northrop at 2019 Doral Ct, Henderson, NV 89074.  Phone 702-896-2162 (10A - 4P, Pacific Time, Mon-Fri.)

mk

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
I thought sure yours would be the new super cool Ringmaster. 
What is that #5.  I really like them ellipticals.

That was "Tango Red". Randy gave it to Mark Scarborough, and Mark flew it a week or so ago, with a Magnum XL .53...I can't recall all the engines Randy had in it, but some pictures appear to have a PA or RO-Jett and a Saito .56. Did this one also fly with that weirdo English 4 stroke devise that puked?  ??? Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 08:59:18 PM »
I reckon the Miss Kell would be the most favorite...RJ

Agreed.  Sexiest CLPA design I ever saw --- and I saw the original fly, Cerritos, CA in the '70s.  Despite its .35 size, the Miss Kell is one he## of a performer, and is extremely attractive.  Can hardly wait to see the RSM kit!

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:24 PM »
The Saturn I've flown at the last 3 Nats is my best flyer. The Hughes XF-11, while
not even close to competition worthy is an absolute blast to fly.   Steve

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
Allen,

Stever is right. That is the original Tango Red. Number 5 in on the board right now. Mark has number 3.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 08:02:34 PM »
Yeppers, the
Tango red 3, or the Freelancer,,Took me on my first ride into the world of Advanced, oh and by the way,, an education about Delta parks "well theres no real wind down here so it shouldnt matter,,, but wait OH CRAP where did that come from " wind above the trees, apparantly I put the fear into Don who was judging that it was going to come raining down on his head? p[sstt the old girl just chugged back out to the end of the lines and waited on me to clean my shorts and finish the clover, good flying plane, still working on a happy prop setup though,, and Steve, NO the APC 10.5 x 4.5 will NOT work  LL~ LL~ %^@
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
1972 Fouga Magister. It and I were joined perfectly starting with the test flight.  14 days later it was the Walker Cup Champion. 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
I reckon the Miss Kell would be the most favorite.  First time in the Nat's top five, nice looking plane and was a better flier than the pilot at the time.  My daughter Kelly is now a pharmacist and about to make me a grandpa for the first time.  The Miss Kell is soon to be kitted by RSM and I can't wait to build the kit.  RJ

That is great news! Can't wait to get me one too. I hope Eric makes a canopy exactly as in the original plans.

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline elizio

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 03:01:25 AM »
Hi guys:
The best airplane I ever had was the Super Tucano, with Saito 72 engine.
I believe it will be even better the FW 190 D, in testing, also with the same engine.
elizio - Brazil

ps: keep away this beautiful girl, she is Daniela, first woman combat pilot of our Air Force.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »

"Miss Kell" is on a very short list of other people's designs I really lust for!  That's great news RJ & RSM.

BTW as a "veteran" grandpa (1) - I think you will like that too -- congrads!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
It's interesting that sometimes, the plane that has the best memories or that you had some connection with in some way isn't necessarily the "best" flying plane you ever owned. Sometimes it's place you were in your life when your built it or some contest you flew it in that had an impact on you. Don't get me wrong, it's usually a good flier, but that may not be what you remember.

There are some planes you hate for some of the same reasons. They were a pain during construction or you consistently blew landings with it or whatever. Tango Red was a takeoff on Mike McLaughlin's variation on the Novi IV that he called Tango Red. I loved the look of the plane. So I talked to Mike and he gave me templates for his plane and I reworked it to the desgin specs I wanted. No reflex airfoil. Original was a pipe PA 40 and flew pretty well with that. It also had a series of engines from the first PA 40 to a RO-Jett 65 and a couple of different 4 strokes. But it was always an honest plane that went pretty much where you pointed it and the judges seemed to like it. But most of all, my wife loved that plane and was devastated when it when in. It's why my classic plane, a Shoestring, got largely the same paint scheme.

The new Tango Red, currently being drawn, will probably get the same or similar treatment.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here