News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:02:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Berringer Sportster?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Berringer Sportster?
« on: April 12, 2022, 06:54:36 PM »
Does anyone have pictures or plans for this plane.   I think Cris Cox had one several years ago.  Any plans?

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Berringer Sportster?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 09:18:42 PM »
I know Alan Rensinger built at least one and probably more years ago

If he doesn’t chime in, PM me and I will give you his contact information

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:37:20 PM »
  The whole Berringer family came for the 2004 WC at Muncie. Gilbert was flying a twin, but I think Remi was flying a Sportster. I just digitized the Windy Videos for the 2004 WC and I believe there are flight videos of at least two flights of each. These are posted on the Walt Brownell Channel, under the NATS and Contests heading. I have a set of plans for one of Gilbert's designs, but I don't think it's the Sportster. I'll have to see if I can dig those out tomorrow.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:06:23 PM »
Here are some plans for the Beringer Sukhoi.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Online Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 08:39:11 AM »
Frank,  I Think Steve Moon Had one in or around 2005?  He folded the wing while flying it at Hobby Park in Dallas.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »
Here are some plans for the Beringer Sukhoi.

The Sukhoi is what I think I have, but will still try to locate them to be certain. I don't remember where I got them, and don't really know where to look other that from Gilbert himself. He owns a company that specializes in aircraft wheel, brakes and other hydraulic components you you can most likely track him down that way. He usually comes to Oshkosh every year and sets up a display

Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
Yes, Chris had one. I got a flight on it. One was enough. It required the pilot to fly it 100% of the time. Could not relax in level flight  or anywhere.
 Not my flying style of plane.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 10:24:47 AM »
Yes, Chris had one. I got a flight on it. One was enough. It required the pilot to fly it 100% of the time. Could not relax in level flight  or anywhere.
 Not my flying style of plane.

More or less extreme than the Yatsenko Shark? Because that's what struck me about the Shark, too. I marvel at Orestes' ability to drive that thing around at, er, "5 feet" (TBR) like it was rolling on a pool table.

The Skyray flies that way, too, and if you look at the proportions compared to the Sporster, you can see why. Killer at times, wandering all over with even a slight loss of attention.

Brett

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 10:26:25 AM »
Thanks all
I remember Steve had one at one time.
The numbers on this plane push the limits.  The pitch damping terms that count are equal to the MaxBee, (St/Sw) * (Lt/c)**2
I saw Remi fly it at the 2004 WC.  I assume the numbers are the same between the Sportster and the Suhkoi.  I wonder if one would work with electric?  The cowl diameter is about 6 inch.  You could put the motor, the timer, and the ESC inside the ring.

Online James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 10:31:02 AM »
Frank
I think I have a set of those plans.  They called it a Gee Bee, But it is barely recognizable as such.  Gotta dig to find them.
Jim

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »
Frank
I think I have a set of those plans.  They called it a Gee Bee, But it is barely recognizable as such.  Gotta dig to find them.
Jim
Thanks Jim but I thhink I found a set for the Suhkoi.
Frank

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 10:56:26 AM »
The pitch damping terms that count are equal to the MaxBee, (St/Sw) * (Lt/c)**2

Frank: for those of us not familiar with "pitch damping terms" could you provide a little more understanding (or tutorial)?  And particulary in relationship to our little airpanes and how they fly?

Thanks!

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »

More or less extreme than the Yatsenko Shark? Because that's what struck me about the Shark, too. I marvel at Orestes' ability to drive that thing around at, er, "5 feet" (TBR) like it was rolling on a pool table.

Brett
[/quote]

I have flown Orestes" shark also..Yes, in that aspect they are similar. The shark has more line tension forcing you to pay more attention, and seemed to be "easier" to make rounds.  Not sure I would want to fly the Sportster in a strong wind.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2022, 11:33:41 AM »
Thanks Jim but I think I found a set for the Suhkoi.
Frank
Just briefly ... more after lunch .... but
The equations of motion for our little airplane are just like for big little airplanes (with the exception of the force of the lines coming out of the wing)  Sure, there are Reynolds number differences that change the aerodynamics forces somewhat, but big plane little plane we have forces that act on the surfaces and produce dynamic responses and actions.  So the basic dynamic equations are the same.   .....back in a bit ...

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2022, 01:31:25 PM »
One strange design feature in Beringer designs is a purposely flexible flap horn. The horn wire is quite long, and if I remember right, Gilbert said it has to be of ø2mm (0,078") piano wire. So the flaps flex up/down under load in tight manoeuvres. Gilbert was talking of "deep stall", whatever it means. L

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 03:52:59 PM »
The pitch damping terms that count are equal to the MaxBee, (St/Sw) * (Lt/c)**2

So if you move the CG back on one of these to get the same pitch damping as a normal stunt plane, would that make it squirrely in level flight? 

You had a really long airplane at the Nats one year.  How did it fly?  I probably asked you at the time and forgot your answer.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 04:00:05 PM »
One strange design feature in Beringer designs is a purposely flexible flap horn. The horn wire is quite long, and if I remember right, Gilbert said it has to be of ø2mm (0,078") piano wire. So the flaps flex up/down under load in tight manoeuvres. Gilbert was talking of "deep stall", whatever it means. L

Would that act like Igor's nonlinear flap linkage, but as a function of load rather than control position? It would be a function of density and airspeed, too.  Maybe it compensates for hinge moment or something. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 06:33:18 PM »
I had a response that got lost in the ether .... probably forgot to hit POST .. I think I fell asleep ....
.... anyway the basic point was that we talk about tail volume coefficient (TVC) at length as a measure of how well the plane will damp after a corner.  Its a good figure of merit, although not totally the answer to damping.  But, remembering that the tail volume coefficient wasn't something that someone set out to derive.  TVC is just a collection of terms that just happen to be floating around in the equations of motion.  We group together these terms Sh /Sw * Lt / c into TVC.  But .... the eom's have something else for the moment terms.  There is another Lt / c  present.  So we really should be using TVC * Lt/c for the comparison for stunt ships one to another  The Lt/c term is squared, which makes the Lt very significant.

The fly in the ointment is that as the tail length increases, the induced incidence angle on the stab/elev as it swings through the turn kills its purpose in the first place.  That's with a standard 50/50 stab elevator.  We need an all flying tail to overcome this effect.  It is notable that the Berringer designs have elevator flippers.  The long tailed Eratix and Giles converted 3D RC's that we used have flippers.  The problem with all flying tails or flippers though, is that you potentially have trouble flying level.

The initial feeling with a long tailer, is that you cant believe how well the corner is damped.  But then .... gee I'd like a little tighter turn, and you can't seem to get it.  You need flippers that become active at a higher deflection but are invisible around neutral.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 06:36:19 PM »
I had heard that they said the flaps weren't really needed, but they put them on just so people wouldn't say "well it would fly better if it had flaps for sure"

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
So if you move the CG back on one of these to get the same pitch damping as a normal stunt plane, would that make it squirrely in level flight? 

You had a really long airplane at the Nats one year.  How did it fly?  I probably asked you at the time and forgot your answer.
I think the long tailed plane at the Nats, that I had circumcised the flippers.
I've only flown one Shark , it was setup so sensitive that it really scared me, but it would turn.  It would take a long time to get comfortable with a plane that sensitive.  I don't know if Orestes' is that sensitive.

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2022, 07:50:00 PM »
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/j262/kickercoach12/.highres/WHicksRemi-2.jpg I purchased the Berringer Sportster from Chris Cox . Excellent Airplane Saito 62 52 oz weight. used large high pitch prop run at 6700 rpm to slow it down large diameter made it more stable .

2nd picture https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/j262/kickercoach12/.highres/WHicksRemi-1.jpg

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2022, 01:48:56 AM »
Quite strong wash-out in them Beringer props:

L

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2022, 05:03:27 AM »

Where do they get their props or how do they manufacture them?

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2022, 06:45:35 AM »
They (used to?) make them. I’ve seen the machinery; a home-made manual copy-mill. Then lots of hand finishing. So I guess no big series were/are made. L
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 07:03:48 AM by Lauri Malila »

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 12:22:36 AM »
Hi Frank

Yes, I’m pretty sure I can dig out the plans if you would like.  The Sportster was a really cool plane, but as Paul mentioned, it was a real handful yo fly.  The picture Walter posted was indeed mine.  I think I liked looking at it a whole lot more than flying it. 😂

Let me know if you would like a set of the plans and I will find them for you.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 12:30:54 AM »

It flew like that, too - coming to a near dead stop in the corners, then accelerating away, really markedly different even from the outside. I never flew it, of course.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 08:42:00 AM »
They (used to?) make them. I’ve seen the machinery; a home-made manual copy-mill. Then lots of hand finishing. So I guess no big series were/are made. L

I used to see the Beringers at Oshkosh each year. The Beringers own a company that make aircraft wheels, brakes, hydraulic fittings and other accessories and they make REALLY nice stuff! They have a display there each year and we invited them  out to the KidVenture circles to fly from time to time at after noon demonstrations. The whole family flies C'L stunt. The first year they came I think was the year Remi won the world champs. We had Gilbert, Veronique, Remmi and the oldest daughter all fly stunt demonstrations at one time or another.  At the time I was just beginning to sort of understand how to operate the Saito .56 in a Top Flite Score I have and getting some satisfying and consistent flights from it. The Beringers would hang out at the tent and I got to pick Gilbert's brain a bit about running the Saitos and one year I invited him to fly my Score. I was beginning to get the hang of it by that time and when he was finished I asked him for an honest opinion on it and how it ran and flew and he gave me a thumbs up on it! I wasn't smart enough at that time to see if he would sell me a coup-le of his props! I don't think they made them for general sale. I understood at the time that they were made with that wash out and that they were designed to flex a bit under the load in the turns. They never did bring any of their own equipment to fly, just used what we provided. They were there for business reasons and concentrated on that, but are very nice people and a pleasure to be around and talk with.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »
Thanks Chlris , I think I've rounded up plans.  It was a pretty plane.
The "washed out" prop is very interesting.  Thanks for the description Lauri.  Need to run that distribution through Java Prop.
It looks like 6.0 6.5, 6.5, 6.0 5.0 3.25

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2022, 10:53:25 PM »
Pitchers ,

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 11:06:28 PM »

these have to be built  L I G H T .

I believe theres no spar webs ( vertical ) Likely really springy balsa for the spars . For a bit of seagull -> the wings wave a bit to absorb gusts . Believe that was the Flap Trip Too .

Big Bump & they dont catch it - they deflect . Particulary so as not to induce roll . I heard .

CHECK the Drg. Re L.E. Sheeting . HIS CAUDRON obviously Does Not Have It ! ! .

Will put the others on , Whats a Caudron to a Sportster anyway ? .

https://aerocirculairesainte.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/bando-7-copier.jpgre WE . SPORTSTER . ! been a few built in Aus. Battam & Co .

The Lad is REMI , think Gilbert's first thing was a SPITFIRE , perhaps SHEEKS or a derivative ??  ( If So , Thats where the Berringer line emanated ! )So , a Pic . !

Phaw !. https://aerocirculairesainte.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/ic-27-mai-2003.pdf  The PLAN for the Ber. Spit. !!!!

FROM ; https://aerocirculairesainte.wordpress.com/

Reg Towell has done many Berringer Derived planes , therefore the critical mass fits his derivational linage ?

Well , You Did say ' PICTURES ' !

Bare Wood Sportster HERE : https://aerocirculairesainte.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/ic10.pdf : Last Page .

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 12:46:10 AM by Air Ministry . »

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2022, 05:36:50 AM »
AM
Thanks for the Pitchers and video .... rounds are quite impressive! ..... Spitzy is unique plane too ... Saito run was solid ....
Thanks again
Frank

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 10:53:55 AM »
Thanks Chlris , I think I've rounded up plans.  It was a pretty plane.
The "washed out" prop is very interesting.  Thanks for the description Lauri.  Need to run that distribution through Java Prop.
It looks like 6.0 6.5, 6.5, 6.0 5.0 3.25
Thanks Frank, I’ll stand down. 

Cheers!

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
    It flew like that, too - coming to a near dead stop in the corners, then accelerating away, really markedly different even from the outside. I never flew it, of course.

Brett

Yep. Someone should calculate the tip angle of attack during level flight.. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2022, 08:09:03 PM »
Yep. Someone should calculate the tip angle of attack during level flight.. L

Back of the blade, I am sure it is negative, but to make any use of the information you need the camber.

Brett

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2022, 01:18:34 AM »
If I calculate it on my electric from Rpm, lap time and line length, then my 12x5 3 blade has -1,7 AoA at chord line.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here