News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bellcrank replacement help  (Read 874 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Bellcrank replacement help
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »
I have a ARF Nobler and I am in the process replacing the bellcrank and leadouts. I did a search and found a post on how to glue thread to the leadouts and pull thru. Unwaxed dental floss worked well. Tip by Zuriel. Any way I have a Tom Morris BC. Should I use the bolt that came with the plane or scab up some wood for the Morris mounting process? I hope I explained this right.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bellcrank replacement help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
Would you beleive I bought a peice of brass tubing, 1/16 inch.  I fed that thru the wing from the wing tip.  I had peices of leadout material long enough to feed into the tube.   Once there is enough to make sure it will be out side the wing tip.  Pull the brass tube out.  Then do the other lead out.  I have tried the gluing and taping.  The brass tube is the easiest for me.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks Doc,
What did you do about the bellcrank pin? Did you use the bolt that came with the old bellcrank?

What I did was wrap dental floss around the lead out wire sort of like a candy cane wrap. Put a few drops of thin CA on it and let it setup. It was strong enough to where I could work the controls, but was so thin that there was no binding at all when I pulled the leadouts thru. I first tried with waxed dental floss and I think the wax was keeping the CA from holding. I got some unwaxed and it worked great.

Now what to do with mounting the new bellcrank? Use the pin that came with the Tom Morris crank add some wood to hold everything in place or do you think drilling out the hole in the new crank just a little to use the screw that came with the plane? My concern is:

1. Space is limited to add a block of wood to hold the pin.
2. The threads on the screw might act as a saw and cut the Morris crank.

What to do? What to do?  HB~>
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:51:55 AM by Paul Taylor »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
Cut a peice of brass tubing to act as a bushing in the bellcrank.  If you have doubts, just cut a matching hole on the other surface of the center section. Remove the bolt.  Insert the Morris bellcrank rod/pin.   Rough up the ends a little or Dremel cut a couple of grooves and glue in plywood plates.  Wish you were here as it is much easier to show/do than to write about.  H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here