News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Belfry Bound, but smaller  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Pat Johnston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Belfry Bound, but smaller
« on: March 04, 2024, 06:53:41 PM »
I would like to make up a set of plans for Dale Kirn’s Belfrey Bound. Does anyone have a set of plans that could be copied and sent to me?  I am more than happy to pay the costs. I’m thinking about either a 502” or a 560” version. Should be a blast.
Pat Johnston
Idaho Skunk Works
patsplans@yahoo.com
Or 208 871-9031

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Belfry Bound, but smaller
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 10:03:15 PM »
Hi Pat.
I’ve been looking for a set ever since RSM disappeared.
I may have one more lead and if I can get them I’ll copy a set for you.
I’m wanting to build the full size version with a sparker for power.

If you come by a set in the meantime I would be happy to buy a PDF or printed set from you.

Cheers!

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 08:44:59 AM »
Bob,
Thanks for your reply. It struck me that I should draw up the original version first and use that to do a reduction to the 502” version I am thinking about. It may be possible that one of my fellow “Epiphany Mafia” team friends has a set of the plans. Either way, we’ll keep looking. I will definitely keep our Stunt Hanger buddies in the loop when I get this done. Planes like this are too good to loose the ability for all to enjoy.
Pat Johnston
Idaho Skunk Works

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 01:14:12 PM »
Patrick, did you check the AMA plans service? Pretty sure they have everything from MA, MAN, AAM, Air Trails, Model Builder and Flying Models. I wouldn't know if the Belfry Bound was published, though. I kinda like the "Big Job" better, but maybe a 502 version would be more practical...   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 02:23:15 PM »
Steve,
I am in agreement that the Big Job is in the top all time great old timers. It would be another great one to get into ACAD so it can be digitally enshrined. I believe Jim Lynch flew one at the Nats around 2007 or so. Fox 59 power as I recall. Really cool.
Carl Shoup flew his Belfrey Bound in a wheelchair at our Regionals about 20 years ago and won OTS. Lasting memory, that one.
Pat

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:50:43 PM »
Gordan Delaney owns Carl Shoup's Belfrey Bound.  Measurements can be provided.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »
Great, Brent. I’ll bug Gordy if I can’t get plans.
Pat

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 08:39:37 AM »
Hi Pat,

You could try Eric Rule who did all of the plans for laser cutting. I'm sure that he will have copies of all of the plans that he drew up before selling RSM. If you send me a PM I have Eric's email.

Regards,
Keith R
Keith R

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 09:07:43 AM »
Steve,
I am in agreement that the Big Job is in the top all time great old timers. It would be another great one to get into ACAD so it can be digitally enshrined. I believe Jim Lynch flew one at the Nats around 2007 or so. Fox 59 power as I recall. Really cool.
Carl Shoup flew his Belfrey Bound in a wheelchair at our Regionals about 20 years ago and won OTS. Lasting memory, that one.
Pat

I don’t recall Jim having a Big Job. Maybe it was Charlie Reeves? I think he built two and maybe Jim flew Charlie’s. 🤷‍♂️
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 09:12:39 AM »
You are correct!  Both Jim and Charlie were there. Two of the nicest guys ever!  People like these are the ones a person would like to have as neighbors and close friends.
Pat

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 10:07:44 AM »
You are correct!  Both Jim and Charlie were there. Two of the nicest guys ever!  People like these are the ones a person would like to have as neighbors and close friends.
Pat

Jim was my coach and mentor. He sure is missed.
Charlie is still flying a little every now and then I think.

Looking forward to your drawing of the Belfry. Almost every picture of one always seemed to go with Carl. 👍🏼
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 10:34:21 AM »
   The Belfry Bound plan seems to be one of , if not THE most elusive plan in the hobby!!  That's a Dale Kirn design, correct? I don't think it was ever published. Isn't Dale Kirn's son active in the hobby still? If anyone knows him personally or has contact information, that nay be a source. I don't know where Carl got his plans from. Interesting airplane, but I don't think I could ever avoid breaking off those pointy wing tips!!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here