News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:48:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Batteries for Glow Plugs....  (Read 971 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Batteries for Glow Plugs....
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:13 PM »
Like most, I mostly use a sub-C NiCad in a "Glo Ignitor" (DuBro, in my case). I know NiCads don't like frequent charging, in that they need to be drawn down pretty empty before charging.

Recently, I noticed that Tower and others are selling new "slim" "Glow Ignitors" that use a AA "Pen Cell". One of 'em. HA! Useless. Waitadarnedminute...it says 1800mah NIMH cell. Hey, wow, that's better than the sub-C NiCad's capacity!
I can't recall what the charging desires are for NIMH cells, tho. I've been using them in my digital camera, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a crumby "Walkman Wannabe" radio for the the gym. They're even fairly cheap.

What do NIMH batteries like? Discharged, like NiCads, or should they be topped off ASAP, like gel cells?   n~  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline ebonbetta

• Ensign
Re: Batteries for Glow Plugs....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 11:14:45 PM »
To the best of my knowledge they do not hold a memory if you recharge them but the do lose their charge if they sit around. So your best recharging the night before.
At least thats my understanding. Have had a lot of discussions about them for metal detector use.

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:49:31 AM »
Tower also sells a 4200MAH NIMH Sub-C battery.  It will last all flying season.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:50:03 PM »
Louis...thanks, Man! Any chance you could come up with a part number or page number for that Sub-C NiMH at Tower? It sounds like the Cat's PJ's.  **) Steve

Edit: Been looking at Tower and found some NiMH Sub-C cells that will work.  Trinity GP4300 #LXMCZ1, $9.49.  The next question, is what happens if I use the standard charger (for NiCads?) that I got from DuBro, and soon, a new Associated 'ignitor' and charger? I have an Eveready "Energizer" battery charger that will charge just about anything, AAA to D's, also 9v., NiCad or NiMH (I like it).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 08:48:41 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:43:52 PM »
Any nicad charger will also charge NiMH's.  About the only potential problem, if you are going for absolute top performance, is that the NiMh will tend to shut off with a peak charger at around 90% of capacity.  So to get absolute max charge you have to let it sit a couple minutes and start the charge again, and maybe do it a couple of times.  NiMh also have more internal resistance than NiCad, so they don't do quite as good a job at handling flooded plugs.  Even a single cell nicad will burn through a flood pretty easily.  The NiMh might be a little slow.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here